One bitty fry

Abyss

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll just wait until thry are bigger and see how many are left then, as long as there will be a few ill be happy, I'm not chemically treating them, I'm going to let nature take its course. *crosses fingers*

I have a 20gallon tank it's missing about a third of the water, they are doing great. Odd that your filter didn't submerge mine did after I squeezed it a good 50 times to get all the excess air out.

I know most ppl recommend 4-6 inches but I put a little more water than that yes, there are 5 and they are thriving. I also didn't do prazipro I'm just letting nature take its course. I have only lost one somehow out of the 6 I had so far no idea how because I can find him in there. I just had about 25 more fry hatch, so I'm waiting on them to be free swimming and a bit larger to put in the tank with the bigger ones.

I've never had that many hatch at once so I'm sure there are a few defective fry that might die from just not being formed properly but ill fill you guys in on the total before I'm ready to add them to the grow out tank.

Here are a few new pics I'm sure photobucket will mess them up, if they are upside down I apologize!!!

I am so jealous! :clapping:

They look great.

I have a 20gallon tank it's missing about a third of the water, they are doing great. Odd that your filter didn't submerge mine did after I squeezed it a good 50 times to get all the excess air out.

I know most ppl recommend 4-6 inches but I put a little more water than that yes, there are 5 and they are thriving. I also didn't do prazipro I'm just letting nature take its course. I have only lost one somehow out of the 6 I had so far no idea how because I can find him in there. I just had about 25 more fry hatch, so I'm waiting on them to be free swimming and a bit larger to put in the tank with the bigger ones.

I've never had that many hatch at once so I'm sure there are a few defective fry that might die from just not being formed properly but ill fill you guys in on the total before I'm ready to add them to the grow out tank.

Here are a few new pics I'm sure photobucket will mess them up, if they are upside down I apologize!!!

My tank is a 5.5 gallon, so the filter is just too tall for the amount of water. It did take a good three days for it to sit on the bottom, though. I started Prazi yesterday. It's nerve wracking, with just the one little guy.

Geez, you've got your hands full.

Ya lol, I just feel bad not given the fry a chance, no idea if ill be able to get homes for all of them. I'm trying to get my hands in a 75g used for cheap so I can upgrade from my 29g which is a bit overstocked, so I'd be able to keep one of the nice fry and give some more space for everyone, I do water changes 2x weekly so at least they aren't in too rough shape. It's turning out to be a real challenge finding a tank and not easy in Moncton to get my hands on one.

I just put in the new fry that hatched with the older batch, I had some deformities, so I chose to just put them in the newt tank lol, I didn't have the heart to 'cull' them so they might be a newt snack, but if they do survive in there I will try my best to raise them. I had about 25 hatch but 3 were deformed, one had passed overnight so I have around 27 including my older spawn. Ill keep posting to see how many I'm left with.

I read in the international forum that you're in Ottawa Goldigeek?? That's cool! I'm from Ottawa but moved here because my hubby's parents live here and he wanted to be closer, I used to live in Nepean off Woodroffe Rd. XD keep me posted on your fishlets lol

Ya lol, I just feel bad not given the fry a chance, no idea if ill be able to get homes for all of them. I'm trying to get my hands in a 75g used for cheap so I can upgrade from my 29g which is a bit overstocked, so I'd be able to keep one of the nice fry and give some more space for everyone, I do water changes 2x weekly so at least they aren't in too rough shape. It's turning out to be a real challenge finding a tank and not easy in Moncton to get my hands on one.

I just put in the new fry that hatched with the older batch, I had some deformities, so I chose to just put them in the newt tank lol, I didn't have the heart to 'cull' them so they might be a newt snack, but if they do survive in there I will try my best to raise them. I had about 25 hatch but 3 were deformed, one had passed overnight so I have around 27 including my older spawn. Ill keep posting to see how many I'm left with.

I read in the international forum that you're in Ottawa Goldigeek?? That's cool! I'm from Ottawa but moved here because my hubby's parents live here and he wanted to be closer, I used to live in Nepean off Woodroffe Rd. XD keep me posted on your fishlets lol

No way! I am 2 minutes from Woodroffe. Baseline and Greenbank:) We should form a gang. lol. My hubby is from Halifax...so we have the whole Maritime thing going too. What a small world. I am originally from Toronto, but love the smaller size of Ottawa.

I hear you on the culling. I think my one guy may be a little deformed, but if he isn't struggling, I'll keep him:)

Oh cool my son was born in Toronto, we moved back to Ottawa shortly after he was born, hey if u were closer I'd give you a couple of mine so yours could have some company :P

Oh cool my son was born in Toronto, we moved back to Ottawa shortly after he was born, hey if u were closer I'd give you a couple of mine so yours could have some company :P

Haha! he is so alone in there. It almost looks sad. My mom can't believe I am doing all this work for one bitty guy. She thinks I'm nuts. :krazy:

I moved to Ottawa as a 4 year old, so this is definitely my hometown.

How are your little charges doing today? So jealous of your double spawn. I almost had a double...but I vacuumed out the tank before seeing all of the eggs :wall

Apparently I am going emoticon crazy today....lol

How are you keeping the floor of the tank clean? I am using Hikari First Bites, was using baby brine shrimp. The shrimp was a mess in there. The First Bites aren't much better. I leave it in for an hour and use a turkey baster to remove it. It's still getting blown around though. I can't see how I can not do water changes...just curious about your approach.