One bitty fry

Abyss

Wasn't planning on spawning my Goldie but they have surprisingly but I've only found one fry. It hatched in main tank and I moved him to a Tupperware container with some cambomba plant and I'm feeding it boiled egg yolk. It's just the one fry in about 4 1/2 inches if water from the main tank. He's been in there since yesterday and this morning I removed a glass of the water and replaced it with more tank water, I wasn't sure I should put fresh dechlorinated water from the tap in there because I was worried the ph would mess up. I thought the water from the tank would be better. Is there any advice on how to make sure he survives? How often should I change his water? With which water? I am going to buy a mesh breeder box soon to put him in and start feeding him bbs once I get a hatchery going this coming week.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.s. he's swimming well but mostly rests, I'm hoping that's normal, although his swimming is lopsided at times I'm wondering if this is just because he's so tiny and doesn't have proper finage yet. I'm guessing he's only a week or less old. I can't tell if he's got a yolk sac, is it normally easy to see, he does have white under him but I'm not sure if that's the yolk he's eaten. When I added the yolk/water mixture he did go up to some of the larger clumps and looked like he was eating it. Other than that he seems healthy enough. Advice or tips?

If he's still resting, I'd guess he's only a day or two old :) Congrats! You don't have to do many water changes at this point since one little fry is hardly going to make a dent in the water params. It's actually the food you should watch out for. Boiled yolks spoil the water very quickly so be sure to clean it out a couple hours after feeding. Other than that, your fry should be pretty low maintenance at this point.

I would also maybe wait a bit before putting him in the mesh breeder box :o I've read a couple threads where the big goldies will suck the fry out through the holes if the fry are small enough. eek.

Oh my, ok ill wait on the box then and ill go change the water right now and feed him again, it's 3 times a day for a months or do right? What is the optimal time to go from yolk to baby brine shrimp?

Oh my, ok ill wait on the box then and ill go change the water right now and feed him again, it's 3 times a day for a months or do right? What is the optimal time to go from yolk to baby brine shrimp?

Feeding? I believe people do it 3-4 times a day, yeah. If you have bbs available, I'd start them right away

Alright well I found one more egg in the tank that seems like it wasn't white with fungus, I think I can see 2 beady eyes in there so I sniped the leaf off my amazon sword and put it in the container with the fry, crossing my fingers that fry stays in good shape and hoping the egg hatches so he's not so alone in there XD

Ok so I did a thorough search for more eggs today and I found 4 more eggs for a total of 5 eggs not incl. the hatched fry I have... Each egg has little eyes in them.

I'm wondering if you guys know how long around does it take for the eggs to hatch once the eyes are visible? The water is room temp like my tank but might be a bit warmer than the tank since its in a large plastic container which holds heat better and less water in it.

Also, would it be safe to keep the eggs and the fry together? I'm feeding the fry tiny amounts of egg yolk until tonight when my hubby comes home with bottles so I can make a bbs hatchery.

Should I keep the eggs in their own clean water and the fry in a different container? I am doing water changes everyday, transferring the water from the main tank into the new container so the ph and temp is pretty stable.

Congrats on your babies:) I am in the same boat. I noticed 2 of my fish dsplaying spawning behaviours, took a close look and voila, eggs. I rescued about 100 and they all went fungusy...except for one. I have one tiny guy all one in a glass-lock. He hatched about 4 days ago, just started feeding bbs yesterday.

I hope your little guy grows up big and strong:)

Keeping my fingers crossed for your eggs. It's so stressful waiting...lol.

Once my guy's eyes were visible, he hatched at about 5 days. My temps were only at 72ish, though.

Congrats on your babies:) I am in the same boat. I noticed 2 of my fish dsplaying spawning behaviours, took a close look and voila, eggs. I rescued about 100 and they all went fungusy...except for one. I have one tiny guy all one in a glass-lock. He hatched about 4 days ago, just started feeding bbs yesterday.

I hope your little guy grows up big and strong:)

Keeping my fingers crossed for your eggs. It's so stressful waiting...lol.

Once my guy's eyes were visible, he hatched at about 5 days. My temps were only at 72ish, though.

Oops, I'm lying. When his eyes were visible, he went another 2.5 days. 5 days total.

Wow all our fish think it's spring lol. I also had a surprise spawning. Saw eggs with lil fish inside but they hatched inside main tank. I rescued what I could save plus a few unhatched eggs.

I have eight fry in a small tank. It's been week two. Treated with prazipro yesterday.

Good luck!!

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Wow all our fish think it's spring lol. I also had a surprise spawning. Saw eggs with lil fish inside but they hatched inside main tank. I rescued what I could save plus a few unhatched eggs.

I have eight fry in a small tank. It's been week two. Treated with prazipro yesterday.

Good luck!!

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

It's getting spooky, eh? lol

I like to keep babies in small dollar-store dishpans that hold about 2 gallons of water. I transfer the babies to a pan of fresh water each day. It's quite easy to scoop up a tiny fry in your cupped hand. You can use a fine net if you can't catch them by hand. I let them eat natural food from duckweed and hornwort that floats in the water. After a couple of weeks, I rub Omega One flakes into a powder for a supplementary food.

Good luck!!

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

It's getting spooky, eh? lol

As they say, "must be something in the water." Lol

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Haha Goldsguy, I know right? At first I was like umm I thought they liked to spawn early spring? I guess we can't judge them by their instinct since they're weather conditions are removed from them lol.

Grats to all of you who got some little ones even if it comes down to only having one. It's such a cool thing.. I could sit there for hours with my little flashlight and magnifying glass, that is if my 1 year old would let me rofl.

I haven't done any prazipro I haven't even heard of it until I joined this forum and started reading about it. I don't have any, can't get to buying any atm, so I'm hoping I can cope. I'd rather let nature take its course. I'm guessing its an anti fungal, I've never had to use meds on fry before. I'm only used of breeding guppies and its def. different to have eggs. I tend not to use meds on babies unless I really have to... Is it detrimental i use that?

Well I'm trying to get a new photobucket acct. going ill try and get some pics on soon. Thanks for the feedback everyone and Golds keep me posted on your bitty guy.

I have rescued 4 more eggs so I have 5 total I'm STOKED!! XD

The Prazipro is to treat for parasites such as gill flukes. Studies have shown that the majority of goldfish are infested with flukes. As I'm sure most fish are. These can be detrimental to small fry which is why they are treated. It's very gentle yet highly effective.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Haha Goldsguy, I know right? At first I was like umm I thought they liked to spawn early spring? I guess we can't judge them by their instinct since they're weather conditions are removed from them lol.

Grats to all of you who got some little ones even if it comes down to only having one. It's such a cool thing.. I could sit there for hours with my little flashlight and magnifying glass, that is if my 1 year old would let me rofl.

I haven't done any prazipro I haven't even heard of it until I joined this forum and started reading about it. I don't have any, can't get to buying any atm, so I'm hoping I can cope. I'd rather let nature take its course. I'm guessing its an anti fungal, I've never had to use meds on fry before. I'm only used of breeding guppies and its def. different to have eggs. I tend not to use meds on babies unless I really have to... Is it detrimental i use that?

Well I'm trying to get a new photobucket acct. going ill try and get some pics on soon. Thanks for the feedback everyone and Golds keep me posted on your bitty guy.

I have rescued 4 more eggs so I have 5 total I'm STOKED!! XD

Prazi treatments are sort of like deworming a new puppy. I learned about it here and now do every new fish that comes in to my house. Yay for another egg! I totally hear you on the magnifying glass. I drove across the city to get my grandmother's super powerful one. She thought I was nuts:) How are the eggs looking today?

Hehe I'm glad to find some fellow fish geeks :P

They are looking alright, when I shine light near the eggs I see them wiggle once in a while but bothered that they still haven't hatched yet. I read that thry say water should be heated for eggs but I have my container at room temp. I will be so relieved to see them hatched. They are pretty dark in the eggs and moving, but still waiting. How are yours?

Hehe I'm glad to find some fellow fish geeks :P

They are looking alright, when I shine light near the eggs I see them wiggle once in a while but bothered that they still haven't hatched yet. I read that thry say water should be heated for eggs but I have my container at room temp. I will be so relieved to see them hatched. They are pretty dark in the eggs and moving, but still waiting. How are yours?

My little guy is eating like a champ as of last night:) I keep thinking he's dead and then he shoots around the container. I gotta relax a bit. lol

Mine is at room temp, but in the bathroom where there is a vent. I just keep the door half closed and my temps are around 72. Just keep in mind, they'll take a little longer with a lower temperature. So exciting!!!

They are growing fast!! Ill try post some pictures tonight after water maintenance, waiting again on about 20er so more eggs to hatch, one just hatched today he's hanging out editing for his bros and did to come out n play lol

So 2 more eggs hatched waiting for the others so amount of fry I have all hatched is 8, but I'm feeling frustrated today because about 2 weeks ago I had put the 6 I had in a 20gallin grow out tank and now I keep trying to count then but Ivan only count 4, I can't see the other ones at all, I can't even see any bodies so I'm not sure if they are just really good at hiding or that there are only 4 somehow grrr its really annoying me.