Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

How do I feed them when they are so different in size?

Ive never had to worry about how much to feed until now! I have 3 fish but my biggest is a huge oranda who is at least 8 times the size of my baby ranchu. I use to do large pellets but I was nervous they were too big for the baby so i bought small pellets that now seem too small for my oranda. I dont feed very much now because I dont want the little one to over eat and die but I feel bad because the big one doesnt get very much at all. If I feed more, will the little one know when to stop?

The size difference is really insane so Ive never had to deal with this situation but I really am starting to worry that the big one isnt getting enough nutrients!

Such a petty worry but I still want to ask your advice

Edited by Thea

I had this problem when my Peanut was less than 5 g and Bobbie was 50 g. I just spread the food the length of the tank. I use rather small pellets also (the 1 mm NLS or I actually would crush progold cuz it was too big for Peanut).

It works out just fine. The little one gets enough since its spread throughtout the tank they all need to forage all over to find food so the big ones can't just suck it all up . . .

Good luck. :D

Thanks!

I think it should be fine but I am in the opposite boat. The tiny one gets SO much that I am worried its too much where my huge oranda is so passive he gets LESS than the tiny one thats 1/10 its size. They are still alive after a month so no big deal but I just wonder if my big fish is basically starving.

:rofl.

I'd still spread it around and make the little ones work for it.

Do you weigh them at all? That really helps me to see who the food hogs are month to month. Also I have taught them all to hand feed so if I feel one isn't getting their fair share, I sneak that one a few extra bites when no one else is looking. :teehee. For me, it's my smallest fish. For you, you could hand feed your big guy. :)

:rofl.

I'd still spread it around and make the little ones work for it.

Do you weigh them at all? That really helps me to see who the food hogs are month to month. Also I have taught them all to hand feed so if I feel one isn't getting their fair share, I sneak that one a few extra bites when no one else is looking. :teehee. For me, it's my smallest fish. For you, you could hand feed your big guy. :)

Awww good thinking. I have in the past when I was doing medicated food so maybe I'll help him out for awhile until the other one grows. My big one is such a slow, gentle giant so he isnt very aggressive and obsessed with food in comparison.

:teehee.

Spread it around, try hand feeding your big oranda. Then again, he's a GF. If he's hungry enough, he will get his full! :rofl

Ha i cant help but laugh looking at that pic because he literally could swallow that ranchu if he was hungry enough!

Not petty at all! I solved this issue myself by switching to gel food and hand-feeding my fish. They only get what I put in their mouths this way :) It works out because my most powerful swimmer and fastest fish is also my fish that has a restricted diet.

:rofl that picture is adorable!!

I'm having this issue also. It's weird! My bigger one who gets very pushy with the new girl, who also needs a different food. So it gets tricky, but she hand fed once the other day which will hopefully help us all out. Cause Blimp is sick of not eating as much as he used to :rofl

Here is the size difference :)

cuteeee_zps7b2a2296.jpg

I have nothing on the feeding issue, but man! that picture is amazing! He is so big! How big is he?

I have found a simple soultion to this issue. Put in some big food and some small food. Bam.

i just died from cuteness overload :wub: i have a similar photo.. it's amazing how gentle giant orandas are with little ones :)

I have found a simple soultion to this issue. Put in some big food and some small food. Bam.

This is what I do as well, although big and small for me are 1.5mm and 1mm pellets. :rofl

Here is the size difference :)

cuteeee_zps7b2a2296.jpg

:yikes WOW That size difference is INSANE!! And hilarious/adorable. My husband and I just spent like 5 minutes laughing at how cute they are. LOVE them. :clapping: