Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

Is this Ich? Never have had this in my tank before

Hi Everyone! Its been awhile since I have been on here! I got down to 1 fish last month and caved and got 2 more. I didnt quarantine the new guys (I know, I know!) and now have something "fishy" going on in my tank. I would assume it is Ich since its flecks of white all over the fins. I honestly dont know much about ich because I have never dealt with it but the fish at the store didnt have it and I just noticed it today! And its a ton!

Just want to see what you guys advice for treating it since I am not familiar. Thanks!

rich3_zps8b42bd01.jpg

rich2_zpsfe458523.jpg

rich_zpsc96734ba.jpg

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) Almost 0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) .25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drops
      • * Water temperature? 70
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50- 3 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 AC 70's
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 25% weekly
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days ago 25%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3- 1 large and 2 very small
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? small pellets every 2 -3 days
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? 2 last month
  • * Any medications added to the tank? prazi pro
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. prazi pro routine starting last month
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? TONS of grains of salt, especially on my big guy ive had for a few years
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, No completely normal

Hello! :hi

Unfortunately, it does look like ich to me. A moderator will chime in to clarify.

Do you have salt on hand? Aquarium salt or unrefined, non-iodized salt should be used to treat ich, if it is indeed what your fish have. Morton's canning and pickling salt is popular among the forum. You can probably find it at the grocery.

good luck!!

It looks like ich to me.

Do you have aquarium and/or canning and pickling salt? How about a heater? 70 isn't too bad but mid 70s might be better.

I do have salt! But not a heater at my place- I really am tight on money right now so if I can work around it that would be great.

BUT- with a 50g tank and do water changes by hand (sink isnt compatible with my python), is this going to be a lot of work? Just wondering....

Guess I just have epsom salt so I am gonna run to the pet store quick to pick some up- any other medication I may need for it to have on hand?

Thea,

Canning and pickling salt at a grocery store is much cheaper than aquarium salt, and you will not lots of it.

Salt should be at 0.3% (immediately) and going until 1-2 weeks after all spots have disappeared. I am estimating this to be about 2.5 to 3 weeks.

It's OK not to raise the temp, although it will mean that it will take longer to clear the ich.

Good luck! :)

No, just salt.

If you're tight on money go to the grocery store instead and get Morton's Canning and Pickling salt with no additives.

You'll probably want to up your WCs a bit if you can . . .

Edit: :wa Alex beat me . . . again. :rofl

Edited by fantailfan1

:rofl :rofl :rofl

It's OK...typing speed goes down after a certain age. :o

:tomuch:

Nah, it's just that I was also helping the kids with homework, doing the dishes and answering my email.

:pp

My fingers are quite nimble, thank you very much.

Well that sounds easy enough! I was afraid it would be one of those every other day, decrease the temp 2 degrees per .623 teaspoons of salt and increase the temp .75 degrees every 4th day based on .73 cups of salt while doing a 25% WC on the odd days and 45% every 5 days. Those ones make my head hurt :madrant

I got some aquarium salt, that isnt a big deal... I just didnt want to spend 50 dollars on a heater just to help clear up the ich for a week. Since having fish, I have been lucky enough to avoid ich, though have had every other disease in the book! I almost gave up fish all together last month but couldnt resist. Got myself a TINY orange ranchu and another red cap oranda! Hope all is going well with everyone else!

Well that sounds easy enough! I was afraid it would be one of those every other day, decrease the temp 2 degrees per .623 teaspoons of salt and increase the temp .75 degrees every 4th day based on .73 cups of salt while doing a 25% WC on the odd days and 45% every 5 days. Those ones make my head hurt :madrant

You left out that if there is a blue moon, to reverse the process. :o

:rofl

Ich treatment tends to be fairly straight forward. Keep us posted. :D

Congratulations on your newest editions! :) Goldfish are complicated little creatures, and it's natural to get a little frustrated sometimes. Just know we're all here for you and and have an excellent mod team that knows everything under the Sun and will gladly answer all your questions.

Ich is pretty easy to treat, I'm sure your fish will do fine! Please keep us updated on their improvements!

I do have salt! But not a heater at my place- I really am tight on money right now so if I can work around it that would be great.?

BUT- with a 50g tank and do water changes by hand (sink isnt compatible with my python), is this going to be a lot of work? Just wondering....?

By "by hand" do you mean with a regular gravel vac? I don't have a python and just use the plastic gravel vacs, which they sell for about $9-12 at petsmart. It's important to use one, as opposed to scooping water out from the top or middle of the tank. This is particularly important if you have ich, because when ich falls off the fish a lot of it lands in the gravel.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk