Sign in to follow this  
MexiMike83

Hi everyone, Koko's sick and needs your help

So a bit of history. Water params have been fine mostly except for the expected ammonia spike from the change of filters from HOB to the seeded canister. On one day it climbed to 1ppm. And we've been trying our best with water changes to keep it below .25 ppm and adding a bit extra prime now and then.

Koko, has some white stuff on her head. I'm not sure if it's excess slime coat production or if it is something. She's just acting odd, she's not as active. She still eats but I think she's got a bug. I'm not sure if the new fish from RG brought something with him into the tank. He seemed fine after the Prazi treatments so I went ahead and put him in the tank, I didn't give him any medi-gold or anything. He has two white dots on the right side of his head but is completely active and otherwise seems normal.

Here's some pictures of Koko. Please excuse the glass. :P

Should I do salt tx? I have an old unopened bag of metromeds (about 1.5 yrs old), melafix and prazi.

download1_zps90960f99.jpg

download_zps622e7aa6.jpg

If you need better pics let me know, I'll have to get the dslr out.

Edited by MexiMike83

Mike, can you fill out the form at the top of the page please? It's important to get things organized and in one place. I know you may not be able to see it from your iPhone, so I pasted it below.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info: * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Edited by ChelseaM

I thought I did answer it...

Water params normal except aforementioned ammonia spike.

tank 56 gallons.

yes new fish.

filter Eheim 3e Pro 2078.

water temp mid 70's. (gf has the heater on because she's constantly cold)

Water changes every few days lately at at least 60%

Behavior she stays by the filter intake and doesn't move a lot.

Edited by MexiMike83

I thought I did answer it...

Water params normal except aforementioned ammonia spike.

tank 56 gallons.

yes new fish.

filter Eheim 3e Pro 2078.

water temp mid 70's. (gf has the heater on because she's constantly cold)

Water changes every few days lately at at least 60%

Behavior she stays by the filter intake and doesn't move a lot.

It really needs to be more thorough than that. Please fill out the form completely. :(

I'm hoping it's just the ammonia causing some irritation and that's the reason for the white stuff. That's when I first noticed it was after the ammonia spike. I just want some other opinions of what it could be.

Chelsea, I appreciate you trying to help. I assure you that the water params other than the ammonia (the first half of the questionnaire) are fine. I tested them with the API drops. And anytime the water is questionable, the first logical step is to do a large water change which I did at 2-60% changes.

The question is, does this look like excess slime production or something else like hole in the head or a fungus? I can't tell.

Edited by MexiMike83

Chelsea, I appreciate you trying to help. I assure you that the water params other than the ammonia (the first half of the questionnaire) are fine. I tested them with the API drops. And anytime the water is questionable, the first logical step is to do a large water change which I did at 2-60% changes.

The question is, does this look like excess slime production or something else like hole in the head or a fungus? I can't tell.

Honestly, I believe you about your water parameters. I am not the one that needs them, but they do need to be listed so that the mod team does know what they are dealing with. "Fine" is subjective. One hundred percent of them are things to be concerned about regarding treatment. Exact numbers are one hundred percent necessary. Please get them and all of the rest of the information on the form plugged in. Trust me when I say every single little detail is important.

With wens it is difficult to tell what is what. Without a thorough and comprehensive analysis of the tank, we cannot determine what is wrong. Without exact numbers for your parameters, we can't treat either because it isn't safe.

Mike, why don't you get the dslr out. A more focussed picture of the wen would help. Over the years, Newton has had his share of white wen stuff but it has always, always gone away after a water change and 48 hours. Once, when it was fuzzy, we changed water and salted slightly.

As you know, with ammonia in the tank, salt is contraindicated. I think better pictures will help the moderators make a better judgment as well as the total param numbers 24 hours after a water change. Do you have a QT tank available?

The numbers are correct other than the ammonia I tested it yesterday. The nitrate is less than 20ppm, nitrite is zero water ph is very basic and hard. Tap water is excellent - It's just hard and alkaline.

I just did an ammonia test and it's zero, the water was changed last night. Can we please move on from the water and focus on what it might be? Should I try peroxide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I don't have a qt tank. I have a food safe bin, but the gf kinda wants it back. Lol.

I was wondering if maybe a salt dip would be in order.

I really think that the problem is from the switch of filters. I seeded the canister but there is a lot more surface area in the canister than the HOB and as you all know nitro bacteria are slooooooooooow growers. So with the water part, that's what's going on I suspect.

Ok, I'll get the camera. I need to take a nap before work and I'll have it by tonight. I am running on three hours of sleep.

Get some rest, Mike. I don't want to comment too much without a clear picture, but as I said before, we have had some white wen stuff - even fuzzy once - that all resolved with fresh water and two days. In my experience, deteriorating water contributes to the appearance of these things but they can also appear randomly.

A better pic will help everyone decide.

Hi Mike,

I concur with the better pics request, although I will say that white wen spots are not particularly worrying. They are almost always associated with wen growth, and are areas where you will find focal infections, along with lymphocytes. As Susanne said, these things invariably will disappear within a couple of days, although this could stretch to a week if the spots are big, such as the ones Koko has.

What I do want to focus additionally on is your observation that she/he has been acting off. Can you tell us more by what you mean? When did it start, and what does that mean? Have you paid attention to her poop? Does she bottom sit?

How long did you QT the new fish before adding him to the tank? How many rounds of prazi? Did you do a round when they are both together?

Thanks.

Hi all, that white stuff is no longer there at the top of her head but has moved to the side of her head. She is very lethargic and stays by the intake tube. She appears to be breathing a lot faster than usual. And just today she won't eat.

This all started about a week after the canister filter was in, the red fish was added to the tank at about the same time.

The red fish also has a white spot on the side of his head. His behavior appears to be normal.

I did prazi on the red fish for 2 weeks, water changes every 3 days in a food safe bin, and added more prazi after the water change. So I believe that's 4 doses? He seemed fine with no visible marks or anything so I put him in with Koko. About 4 days later, I put the filter on. That was like um...1 week and a half ago. I think.

I did a large water change last night. I don't have any medi gold. I don't want to lose another fish :( I'll get the photo tonight. I have to work til 3 am.

She's still lethargic, a bit floaty and I decided to fast her for a few days and then try again with peas. I think she got burned from the ammonia that day :( what so you think?

Newton's wen seems sensitive to water quality issues so it seems a possibility, Mike. Is Koko's wen still white?

Mike, my 2 orandas had white patches on the side of their head that look exactly like yours. It turned out to be a bacterial infection brought on by stress from ammonia exposure. It started on one fish and then spread to the other. I treated with Maracyn and the patches went away and did not return.

The reason we are asking for the water info is because these problems are almost always related to water quality. In addition to the test results, we need to know your water change schedule (frequency and percentage), how many fish are in the tank, when the affected fish was added, and how long the tank has been running, at the very least if you cannot fill out the form. This info is important not only to help us diagnose the problem, but also so that we can recommend the best course of treatment and changes if necessary.

I hope your fish get better!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry Koko still isn't doing well Mike and that your new red and white also has the same thing going on. Perhaps put up a short video of them for the Mods.

Whenever I see any kind of problem with my fish I just automatically do a large water change.

Part of her wen changed to an angry looking pink color and she has some dark spots on her fins. I've ordered new metromeds/medigold from goldfish connection. I will get a video asap and post it. This is my own fault for not making sure the filter was cycled first - I thought that seeding the filter would be enough. I was wrong. I was concerned that running two filters would cause too much current. :( Lesson learned :SmackBottom:

I've been doing about 70% water changes every two-three days. I've just been so busy with school and work - I will take the video tomorrow and finish up my chemistry lab report.

I am unable to post a video until I find my memory card. YouTube doesn't like my apple products it would seem. Here are more pictures. Should I get maracyn then? My guess is it is secondary infection caused from higher exposure to ammonia and is likely bacterial.

Things to note in pictures, small indentation with a white spot on kokos head(the blue) as seen from the front. You can see it to the top right of her face. as well as a white spot superior to posterior of her right eye. The fins appear to be thin on edges with a black line approximately 1 inch in (most notably in her tail. She is floaty, stationary now at the top but appears to be able to stay upright. She is inactive and shows very little interest in food. I did see her sift through sand last night so I attempted to feed but I didn't see her take any.

The red has a white spot on or below his wen also. He appears to "groom" kokos head from time to time by mouthing her head and stays close to her. This doesn't appear to be aggressive.

And alas the photo didn't turn out.

epusyju2.jpgasedereb.jpga8e5yhaj.jpgzabemy7e.jpgenyqyduj.jpgzesybysy.jpgnanu6unu.jpg

:(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by MexiMike83

Maracyn is fine, if you don't have metro-meds. I actually prefer metro+kanamycin, but it's not always possible to get this. :)

To upload videos to YouTube from your iDevice, you may have to use YouTube capture. It's really stupid, yes. :(

Thanks Alex, youtube capture worked. Here's the video, her wen looks like there are swollen cysts almost. They're slightly pink. In other places, it looks like there are holes in the wen.

This video was taken just after the Maracyn was added. Her floating got worse almost immediately.

I'm still waiting in medi gold and metro meds.

"http://youtu.be/r9k3NVIMXCg

Edited by MexiMike83

She's now stuck upside down at the top, she'll right herself up for a bit then go back to upside down . Can anything else be done? E.g., epsom salt? If so, what's the dosage?

Edited by MexiMike83