Oak leaves to lower ph

Whether you're adding IAL oak, or other types of leaves or woods to the tank you're adding tannic acids to the tank which will lower the pH. I'm not too sure about oak leaves, but IAL leaves do not lower the pH by much at all. If he wants to try them they're not going to do any harm provided he keeps the pH in a good level (the leaves wlil maintain the pH), but I personally think they are a pain to replace since they do rot in the water.

Aesthetically, they're quite nice as they do make the water a nice natural golden brown colour, and if he likes that rustic natural look it might be a cool addition :) If he does want to use them, I would soak one in a reasonable sized bowl of water and see how much they do change the pH by, then gauge it on how many leaves he adds to his tank.

If he wants to lower the ph, peet moss in a mesh bag will work nicely. FYI-it will turn your water a bit orangey brown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Supporter

If he wants to lower the ph, peet moss in a mesh bag will work nicely. FYI-it will turn your water a bit orangey brown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've used alder cones in a bag and I really like the effect, but it's a bit of a pain to maintain an even "quality", plus you're filters tend to get filled up with organic matter. It does look super swell though. :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

I have put Oak leaves in my shrimp tanks. I didn't check the ph to see if that was affected. But the reason Oak leaves are suggested for shrimp tanks is because the shrimp feed on the microorganisms that feed on the leaves.

When using leaves. Collect the dry Oak leaves in an area where they would be free from pollutants. Before adding them to your tank soak them in tank water for a few days so they sink and a lot of the tannins will leach out. Soaking the leaves first will prevent your tank water from turning brown. Oak leaves break down slowly so they will last a long time in the aquarium.