Tank cover weight capacity

nic

I have 2 cats that I know will be keeping an eye on my fish tank whether I like it or not. Curious if a canopy would hold the weight of 2 cats, roughly 25lbs.

I don't have it yet. I like the one that are clear. Not a hood that is equipped with a light. I plan on getting a light set that has legs so it will be a clear cover under it. I'm just shopping. I know whatever I get I need to make sure it will be cat proof.

I can let you know in about 3 years when My Maine Coon gets to about 30 pounds :lol

I always think about this when/if my boyfriend move in together. We have a coon and a coon mix.... that's one 15 pound (still growing) and one that is already almost 12 pounds at a year old so who knows how big he'll get :o

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My cats liked to be carried around too much.? I couldn't imagine if they were 30lb ea. :flex:

My big one loves to be cuddled and carried.... it can be a workout sometimes :P

If you can tell me how long, how wide, how thick, and what the material is, I can calculate how much weight they can hold.

That's cool. I'll keep that in mind when I pick one up.

My cats liked to be carried around too much. I couldn't imagine if they were 30lb ea. :flex:

No kiddin', I usually give out before the cats are ready to be put down.

If you can tell me how long, how wide, how thick, and what the material is, I can calculate how much weight they can hold.?

?

That's cool.? I'll keep that in mind when I pick one up.

?

?

?

My cats liked to be carried around too much.? I couldn't imagine if they were 30lb ea. :flex:

?

?

No kiddin', I usually give out before the cats are ready to be put down.

That's when ours starts meowing till he gets his way again :rofl so we pet him some more.... :rofl

• Admin

I can let you know in about 3 years when My Maine Coon gets to about 30 pounds :lol

I always think about this when/if my boyfriend move in together. We have a coon and a coon mix.... that's one 15 pound (still growing) and one that is already almost 12 pounds at a year old so who knows how big he'll get :o

Bob right now is 12 pounds and a year old... too... I beleive its the boys that get the biggest...The girls not so much.

<rant>No cat should weigh 30 lbs. No cat should weigh 18 lbs. A 14 pound cat is a LARGE cat--anything heavier than that is FAT, plain and simple. That includes ragdolls and Maine Coons, which are simply large cats w/ a lot of hair.

The largest cat I've ever had (repeatedly called, in jest, "a short-haired Maine Coon" by actual Maine Coon judges at cat shows), was 13 lbs at his best weight. He was slim and muscular, as cats are supposed to be. They are not supposed to have a rounded shape like dogs--they have different rib cages. A round cat is a fat cat. </rant>

• Admin

<rant>No cat should weigh 30 lbs. No cat should weigh 18 lbs. A 14 pound cat is a LARGE cat--anything heavier than that is FAT, plain and simple. That includes ragdolls and Maine Coons, which are simply large cats w/ a lot of hair.

The largest cat I've ever had (repeatedly called, in jest, "a short-haired Maine Coon" by actual Maine Coon judges at cat shows), was 13 lbs at his best weight. He was slim and muscular, as cats are supposed to be. They are not supposed to have a rounded shape like dogs--they have different rib cages. A round cat is a fat cat. </rant>

My cat whom passed away was at his prime 22pounds....he wasnt fat by all means.. he was a muscler cat. but we can have a talk about this in the cat section if you want to rant there, lets get back on topic.

Edited by Koko

• Supporter

At 30 lbs on top my glass tank cover (for a 29gal tank) started to flex I would think anything smaller would hold more bigger less. Whats the size of the tank in question and will it have 1 or 2 lids?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

At 30 lbs on top my glass tank cover (for a 29gal tank) started to flex I would think anything smaller would hold more bigger less. Whats the size of the tank in question and will it have 1 or 2 lids?

It's a 40gallon breeder. I guess I'm not sure when it comes to one or two lids.

• Supporter

Most 40B don't have one that I know of but that would play a role if it did. I think you can get 1 piece glass lids for that I'm not sure though. If you did get one. With the weight in the middle I'm not sure it could do 30 or not. So I'm not much help right now. If I had one (am thinking of getting one though) I could be more help. Maybe someone who has one will know. If they are thicker that would be a pulse.

Most 40B don't have one that I know of but that would play a role if it did. I think you can get 1 piece glass lids for that I'm not sure though. If you did get one. With the weight in the middle I'm not sure it could do 30 or not. So I'm not much help right now. If I had one (am thinking of getting one though) I could be more help. Maybe someone who has one will know. If they are thicker that would be a pulse. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Right. Without a center brace I don't think it could do 30. Did the tank you tested have a center brace? If the 40B isn't as long as the tank you tested, it might be stronger just because it would be less likely to bow.