Surprise spawning-help!

goldiegeek

Little dude is right on track. He started swimming to the top last night. I figure we'll be starting some brine shrimp tonight. He looks so lonely in his little glass-lock. It'll be even funnier in the tank. Keeping a close eye.

Awesome to hear. If you feed your other fish gel food, I also fed my fry the juice from that as I figured the particles were small enough.

Yesterday I also bought hikari first bites. It's actually almost a powder so that should work too. Started to fed mine that yesterday.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I do repashy, so that'll work:)

My lfs was out of first bites, they are getting some in on Tuesday, fingers crossed.

Golds guy, when exactly did you start feeding? We're at the stage where he is periodically swimming up to the top, filling the swim bladder, I assume. He is in such a small container, I don't want to feed him until he's ready. Don't want to muck up the water unnecessarily...

I read 48 to 72 hours. Basically the first few days. On day two I put some brine shrimp into tank so it was there if they were hungry. Safer to feed early and siphon leftover versus going hungry. They require lots of food now. Feed 3x a day ideally.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Awesome:) Tonight it is.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried some brine shrimp. No luck. He just ignores it. I'm going to try again before I go to bed. He is definitely more active now. I went to peek in at him and couldn't find him. The little guy was zooming around the container:)

Tried some brine shrimp. No luck. He just ignores it. I'm going to try again before I go to bed. He is definitely more active now. I went to peek in at him and couldn't find him. The little guy was zooming around the container:)

Yeah they definitely zoom around fast. If you have any plants in your main tank, but some in the bowl with fry. The plants will have microscopic things it can eat. You may want to try the juice from your gel food.

Another thing you can try which I read about is egg yolk made into a fine paste with water from tank.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I'd forgoe egg yolk all together just because it is much messier than most other foods. Normal brine shrimp are going to be too large, you'll need baby brine shrimp which you can buy frozen or hatch yourself. :) Good luck!

I had frozen baby brine shrimp to feed mine

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Wow he looks awesome!!!

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Thanks! It's great to see him "bulking" up lol. I find I get less scared with each day. All I am doing is 30% water changes every couple of days, de-sliming the surface and feeding bbs.So far, so good:) I'm so glad I didn't accidentally throw him out.

So fishy is still chuggin' along. I'll post some updated pics today:) I'm starting to get paranoid lol. I'm shocked I've kept him alive this long. I was so not prepared. My husband decided that if he makes it, it'll be his fish in his tank lol. I knew he secretly wanted goldfish, but didn't want to copy me:)

Awesome!!! Looking forward to pics

My SO said the same thing lol

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

That's hilarious! There really are no other fish like goldfish. I have to say, though, when you care for a fish from the time it's an egg...it would be hard to give it up:) Although if I had 150 I'd be singing a different tune to be sure.

Sooooo cute :)

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

He just looks so pathetic all bu himself in there. lol

Are your guys starting to show any social goldie behaviours, like travelling in groups/pairs or following each other? That's the part I'm missing out on. I think I see a butterfly tail developing. Yay! That's what I was hoping for. I should post some pics of mom and dad. Mom is a copper butterfly tail and dad is a beaitiful red oranda, like very red:) I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a red butterfly tail.

Today, Gary was moved to a new 5.5 gallon tank. Bye bye glass lock . I've got a SeaPora sponge filter in with him that I jerry-rigged to make the bubbles calm down. The best part is that I can see him from the side now:) He actually looks like a little fish! Yay! He's so so cute.

I have to start the Prazi (I think) in the next couple of days. Goldsguy, how old were yours when you started the Prazi? One week, right?