Surprise spawning-help!

goldiegeek

Got them out as soon as I got up this morning. It's really hard to see fuzz in a white bowl. I'll know better for next time...black bowl it is lol.

Methylene blue! I knew that and it never crossed my mind. I'm going to get some today. If this is a bust, I'll be ready for the next batch.

All your guys doing okay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have experience using that as mine hatched inside the main tank

Yeah my lil guys are doing well. They seem to be very active and eating.

So far no issues.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Greetings all -

I'm following your journey, Goldsguy, as it was mine this summer. What a learning curve! I tended to 3 spawnings....and then just let the fish eat the eggs. I'm done.

Just a quick comment on the fungus: I threw a medicated Weco WonderShell in for a 1/2 day when I moved the spawning mop out of the pond into a Tupperware temporary storage tank and that was very effective. The appropriate amount of KnockOut for your water volume would do the same thing, but unlike the shell which you can remove after a few hours, you'd need to do a water change fairly soon. You want to kill the fungus, not the fragile fry.

My earlier spawnings did have fungus on the unfertilized eggs- that is normal- and you can just remove them individually if it is not overwhelming. If you don't have fairly immediate access to the methylene blue that is the easiest.

Greetings all -

I'm following your journey, Goldsguy, as it was mine this summer. What a learning curve! I tended to 3 spawnings....and then just let the fish eat the eggs. I'm done.

Just a quick comment on the fungus: I threw a medicated Weco WonderShell in for a 1/2 day when I moved the spawning mop out of the pond into a Tupperware temporary storage tank and that was very effective. The appropriate amount of KnockOut for your water volume would do the same thing, but unlike the shell which you can remove after a few hours, you'd need to do a water change fairly soon. You want to kill the fungus, not the fragile fry.

My earlier spawnings did have fungus on the unfertilized eggs- that is normal- and you can just remove them individually if it is not overwhelming. If you don't have fairly immediate access to the methylene blue that is the easiest.

Ran out to the store and they were out of everything. I'll be ready for next time, that's for sure:)

So, last night, I checked the eggs. All of the eggs stuck to the bowl were full of fungus. I pulled them all out. I had some leaves floating in there, and there were two eggs still stuck to them that had no fungus....2! I moved them to a small glass-lock container and basically resigned myself to the fact that they were all gone. Last night, while doing a water change, I popped in and took a peak. Sure enough, one was covered in fungus, the other just looked weird. I left the one egg in there, nothing to lose. About an hour later, I peeked and the egg was gone. I looked down, and behold! There was one hatched little guy in the container lying on the bottom. I knew this was normal, so I was ecstatic. I ran out and yelled at my husband "Bruce! We have one egg hatched!", he came running in freaking out. It was quite the moment:) We got pictures, of course. My 12 year old stole my plug for the iphone, so I'll post them when she gets home. I know this guy will not survive, most likely. We call him Ollie, as in "Ollie lone" (all alone). I'm going to leave him in there until he either dies or is free swimming. I have the other tank set up for him with a sponge filter. All this for one little guy lol.

I think my excitement comes from the fact that I was totally unprepared for a spawning, I have no experience and expected to fail epically. Now, with even one hatchling, I know that we can be successful with a few tweaks. We got one to hatch, YES!!

Goldsguy, I'll have to live vicariously through you on this one lol. I hope your guys continue to do great!

Wow!! Congrats!!!

Well he may surprise you!! He'll feed off egg sack for 48 hours or so. You can feed brine shrimp after. If you have any floating plants in your tank put a bit if that in his bowl. It will have microbes on it that he can eat also.

Mine are doing well. I found out I actually have 8 of them.

I'll try to get new pics tomorrow.

I want to pick up a sponge filter to start using. Will also start Prazipro this weekend.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Wow!! Congrats!!!

Well he may surprise you!! He'll feed off egg sack for 48 hours or so. You can feed brine shrimp after. If you have any floating plants in your tank put a bit if that in his bowl. It will have microbes on it that he can eat also.

Mine are doing well. I found out I actually have 8 of them.

I'll try to get new pics tomorrow.

I want to pick up a sponge filter to start using. Will also start Prazipro this weekend.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

That's great!

I've got the baby brines at the ready. If this guy makes it, he will be one very special fish.

I love the name "Hoggle". Takes me back to my childhood big time:)

Congratulations on your fry's hatching. It's exciting, isn't it? The miracle of life. I hope you enjoy these photos of my fry here. If you count all three spawnings I had 90 fry. Thankfully I didn't need to cull them, my inexperience took care of that. Now I have 7.

Early fry food: They don't need to eat for the first 48 hours. You can boil and egg and mush up the tiniest piece of yolk with a couple of drops of their water, keep the yolk no longer than a week. I put an an anacharis from the pond in with them. Plants have micro-organisms Ollie can feed on. I didn't have much luck with growing infusoria. Much better luck with raising brine shrimp.

Good luck with your new eyelash!

Yay GG! Hope your little guy grows big and robust. :thumbup2:

Thanks Gran! I must admit, I'm feeling the fool setting up a 20 gallon tank with a new sponge filter and plants for one little guy. lol. Keep your fingers crossed for me:)

Congratulations on your fry's hatching. It's exciting, isn't it? The miracle of life. I hope you enjoy these photos of my fry here. If you count all three spawnings I had 90 fry. Thankfully I didn't need to cull them, my inexperience took care of that. Now I have 7.

Early fry food: They don't need to eat for the first 48 hours. You can boil and egg and mush up the tiniest piece of yolk with a couple of drops of their water, keep the yolk no longer than a week. I put an an anacharis from the pond in with them. Plants have micro-organisms Ollie can feed on. I didn't have much luck with growing infusoria. Much better luck with raising brine shrimp.

Good luck with your new eyelash!

Thanks MG! I was stunned to find him, for sure. I love your photos. It's such amazing science:) I always love a challenge. Thanks for the egg tip. I had read that a while ago, but as the methylene blue, it never crossed my mind. I better get myself together here. haha

You don't need a sponge filter right away. Just do water changes. The fry is vey delicate now

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Oh yes. He's not going in the tank just yet. I wanted to run it with an established filter. Geez, I'm even holding my breath when I peek in lol. I can't get over how tiny he is.

You don't need a sponge filter right away. Just do water changes. The fry is vey delicate now

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Oh yes. He's not going in the tank just yet. I wanted to run it with an established filter. Geez, I'm even holding my breath when I peek in lol. I can't get over how tiny he is.

Ah that's a good ideas. Although if you have any stones or small ornament you could move to smaller tank too the BB would already be colonized on that surface.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Ah that's a good ideas. Although if you have any stones or small ornament you could move to smaller tank too the BB would already be colonized on that surface.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Excellent idea. I've got some river rock pebbles that are nice and smooth...and very colonized.

Little dude is right on track. He started swimming to the top last night. I figure we'll be starting some brine shrimp tonight. He looks so lonely in his little glass-lock. It'll be even funnier in the tank. Keeping a close eye.

Little dude is right on track. He started swimming to the top last night. I figure we'll be starting some brine shrimp tonight. He looks so lonely in his little glass-lock. It'll be even funnier in the tank. Keeping a close eye.

Awesome to hear. If you feed your other fish gel food, I also fed my fry the juice from that as I figured the particles were small enough.

Yesterday I also bought hikari first bites. It's actually almost a powder so that should work too. Started to fed mine that yesterday.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Awesome to hear. If you feed your other fish gel food, I also fed my fry the juice from that as I figured the particles were small enough.

Yesterday I also bought hikari first bites. It's actually almost a powder so that should work too. Started to fed mine that yesterday.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I do repashy, so that'll work:)

My lfs was out of first bites, they are getting some in on Tuesday, fingers crossed.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

My lfs was out of first bites, they are getting some in on Tuesday, fingers crossed.

Golds guy, when exactly did you start feeding? We're at the stage where he is periodically swimming up to the top, filling the swim bladder, I assume. He is in such a small container, I don't want to feed him until he's ready. Don't want to muck up the water unnecessarily...

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Golds guy, when exactly did you start feeding? We're at the stage where he is periodically swimming up to the top, filling the swim bladder, I assume. He is in such a small container, I don't want to feed him until he's ready. Don't want to muck up the water unnecessarily...

I read 48 to 72 hours. Basically the first few days. On day two I put some brine shrimp into tank so it was there if they were hungry. Safer to feed early and siphon leftover versus going hungry. They require lots of food now. Feed 3x a day ideally.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets