Surprise spawning-help!

goldiegeek

Hi Guys,

I'm in a panic. I have eggs, not sure if they are fertilized or what. I was doing a major clean on a tank, so I put the fish in with another group while I did this. I noticed my red oranda chasing my fantail and pecking at her. I kept watching and then noticed eggs stuck in the filter. I looked closer and the fish were eating the eggs. I grabbed a bowl, matched the temp, conditioned and threw the plant from the aquarium in. I rescued about 10. When hubby came in, we got the two of them into a huge bowl. Now I have a big bowl of eggs. I had no intention of breeding yet, but I have to do whatever I can. Everything I have researched has left my brain. Here's a photo of my bowl lol.

IMG_1681_zps38d0a492.jpg

What do I do now? AAAAH!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question 1: Do you want to keep them?

Question 2: Are you prepared for the work it takes to keep them?

Question 3: Do you have enough room to grow them out?

Yes

yes

25 gallon?

There are not a ton of eggs.

There may be a big chance most of them do not survive. Some may not even hatch, or some might die during (fryhood? :rofl) I've seen threads with surprise spawns like yours where the fish end up spawning again and again after the initial spawn. :o

Good luck with everything! Hope all goes well.

There may be a big chance most of them do not survive. Some may not even hatch, or some might die during (fryhood? :rofl) I've seen threads with surprise spawns like yours where the fish end up spawning again and again after the initial spawn. :o

Good luck with everything! Hope all goes well.

Thanks Georgia! I am getting the 25 ready now. I'm a little freaked lout because I don't have a cycled tank to put them in. I don't have a sponge filter either. I'm getting my aqua clear 25 out and will add a sponge to the intake and output...

Georgia has a point. Why don't you set those guys up in a few inches of water with a heater and see, and also keep an eye out for future spawns that might produce viable eggs if these aren't. Hopefully someone with more experience will arrive soon to guide you better. :)

You don't start out with a cycled tank or even a filter at first. Just give them water and heat for now.

Edited by ChelseaM

Georgia has a point. Why don't you set those guys up in a few inches of water with a heater and see, and also keep an eye out for future spawns that might produce viable eggs if these aren't. Hopefully someone with more experience will arrive soon to guide you better. :)

You don't start out with a cycled tank or even a filter at first. Just give them water and heat for now.

Thanks so much Chelsea. I am sitting here chomping at the bit, scared to do the wrong thing lol. I can't even tell if they are fertilized. They are in a white bowl. They look like a whitish ball with a black dot in the middle. It kinda looks like an all or nothing type of deal. Do you know what temperature is best?

I'm not sure what temp you'd need to keep them at. I live in Florida so I don't use a heater. But you don't need a filter at the moment you may want to use a bubbler to keep the water from going bad though. If you have one of those air line things to control the flow of the air going into the tank I'd use it. I can't for the life of me think of what they're called. Also you won't have to start feeding them until a few days after they hatch and if you can't do live bbs, frozen bbs are the next best thing. Just put them into the tank filled only a couple of inches, six tops you don't want the pressure of the water to hurt their fragile little bodies

First, relax. What happens next isn't something you can control. It does sound like there are some fertilized eggs. If they hatch, the fry will probably attach themself to the side or bottom of the bowl. Once they start swimming freely I would start feeding them Hikari first bites. I know PetCo has that. I have always put my fry into an unfiltered, uncycled 15 gallon tank. Current is not good for them. The flow of the water return can break their backs. It has happened to me. What I would do is wait a week after they start swimming and then put in an air stone, with as little flow as possible. Also, be sure to remove unhatched eggs after a week or so. I would start cycling a small filter in your other tank. As the fish get bigger and stronger, you can add it to your 25. Remember, keep the current low for now, including during water changes. By the way, I always fill my 15 gallon full. It doesn't seem to have been a problem. As noted above, feeding them BBS is also good. The growth rate of my fish exploded when I switched from hikari first bites to the frozen bbs.

Edited by DieselPlower

I'm not sure what temp you'd need to keep them at. I live in Florida so I don't use a heater. But you don't need a filter at the moment you may want to use a bubbler to keep the water from going bad though. If you have one of those air line things to control the flow of the air going into the tank I'd use it. I can't for the life of me think of what they're called. Also you won't have to start feeding them until a few days after they hatch and if you can't do live bbs, frozen bbs are the next best thing. Just put them into the tank filled only a couple of inches, six tops you don't want the pressure of the water to hurt their fragile little bodies

I have some frozen bbs in the freezer. Yay! I also have airline stuff aplenty.

First, relax. What happens next isn't something you can control. It does sound like there are some fertilized eggs. If they hatch, the fry will probably attach themself to the side or bottom of the bowl. Once they start swimming freely I would start feeding them Hikari first bites. I know PetCo has that. I have always put my fry into an unfiltered, uncycled 15 gallon tank. Current is not good for them. The flow of the water return can break their backs. It has happened to me. What I would do is wait a week after they start swimming and then put in an air stone, with as little flow as possible. Also, be sure to remove unhatched eggs after a week or so. I would start cycling a small filter in your other tank. As the fish get bigger and stronger, you can add it to your 25. Remember, keep the current low for now, including during water changes. By the way, I always fill my 15 gallon full. It doesn't seem to have been a problem. As noted above, feeding them BBS is also good. The growth rate of my fish exploded when I switched from hikari first bites to the frozen bbs.

Okay, so nothing to move the water around at all. I think my lfs stocks the first bites.

Thank goodness for Diesel. :)

Good luck with your new charges. I can't wait to see what happens.

I'm not getting my hopes up. *hope rising*. lol

I figure if I have any success at all it'll be thanks to some good juju. I am fully prepared to lose them all, if any are even fertilized. I'm already ahead of where I was in terms of how to go about breeding any of my fish:) Now I know who's sneaking out after curfew...

Good luck. I also had a surprise spawning a week ago. I've been observing the behavior but never any eggs.

A week ago Saturday noticed eggs. Most were fuzzy. Later I noticed something moving on a leaf and realized it was a fertilized egg with the embryo moving inside. Then I saw several more. I left to run errands. When I returned I wasn't able to see the eggs. Figured the fish found and ate them. It occurred to me that they perhaps hatched so started searching for fry clinging to things. Omg they were there.

I freaked like you. I wasn't planning on breeding or raising fry but felt I should do something. I got a glass and started operation fry rescue lol

I was able to collect about ten or so. Seven survived and it's been a week. They are growing.

I'm not experienced at all.

I did have some frozen brine shrimp I've been feeding as well as the juice from my Soilent green.

I have them in a 5 gallon with an air bubbler pinched to reduce flow.

I put a couple small stones from my tank that would have BB on it. I also have some floating plants in tank.

Currently not have filter on.

Do a PWC every other day.

Water tested 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

I use a turkey baster to try to clean bottom and use a white styrofoam cup to skim water from tank during PWC. That allows me to check cup for any fry before I discard water.

Thanks for posting. I can also learn some things.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

They look good so far! Most likely fertilized, but you will be able to tell for sure tomorrow night, the bad ones will have fuzzied by then.

Very cool. Even if it doesn't work out, I am definitely enjoying the experience. My kids are obsessed with "the bowl". I counted about 100 eggs or so.

Good luck. I also had a surprise spawning a week ago. I've been observing the behavior but never any eggs.

A week ago Saturday noticed eggs. Most were fuzzy. Later I noticed something moving on a leaf and realized it was a fertilized egg with the embryo moving inside. Then I saw several more. I left to run errands. When I returned I wasn't able to see the eggs. Figured the fish found and ate them. It occurred to me that they perhaps hatched so started searching for fry clinging to things. Omg they were there.

I freaked like you. I wasn't planning on breeding or raising fry but felt I should do something. I got a glass and started operation fry rescue lol

I was able to collect about ten or so. Seven survived and it's been a week. They are growing.

I did have some frozen brine shrimp I've been feeding as well as the juice from my Soilent green.

I put a couple small stones from my tank that would have BB on it. I also have some floating plants in tank.

I use a turkey baster to try to clean bottom and use a white styrofoam cup to skim water from tank during PWC. That allows me to check cup for any fry before I discard water.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Okay, you are way ahead of me lol. That's awesome that they made it in the tank. When I realized that the fish were eating the eggs, it ignited a fire in me. haha. I was running around looking for bowls and a thermometer and Prime. It was hilarious. I felt like I was on The Amazing Race. So far, my eggs are in the original bowl, no airstone, no filtration. That's what I'm nervous about. Won't the water get yucky if it is not circulating? When did you add circulation?

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Okay, you are way ahead of me lol. That's awesome that they made it in the tank. When I realized that the fish were eating the eggs, it ignited a fire in me. haha. I was running around looking for bowls and a thermometer and Prime. It was hilarious. I felt like I was on The Amazing Race. So far, my eggs are in the original bowl, no airstone, no filtration. That's what I'm nervous about. Won't the water get yucky if it is not circulating? When did you add circulation?

Well I'm not an expert, but know that temp plays a role. My eggs were either hatched or about to hatch when I transferred them. I actually had one of those sea-monkey kits I used as a small tank. Lol

I put an airstone in the day or two after. But kinked the hose to minimize the flow of air.

You can skim a piece of clean paper towel across the top to remove skum to allow for gas exchange.

Or you can get a breeder tank that would go inside your tank. Just ensure any openings are not big enough for eggs or fry to fall out.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Goldsguy, I just did the paper towel thing, I feel much better, thanks:)

I do have a breeder box someone gave me. I should check it out. I think I'll wait on the air stone.

Transferring them must have been nerve wracking...

I do have a breeder box someone gave me. I should check it out. I think I'll wait on the air stone.

Lol yeah it was. Trying to capture them without injury but quick enough before four large comets found them. I felt like I was in JAWS as my fish looked the size of sharks compared to the small fry.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Lol yeah it was. Trying to capture them without injury but quick enough before four large comets found them. I felt like I was in JAWS as my fish looked the size of sharks compared to the small fry.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I know the feeling exactly:)

On a cool note, I was researching breeding. It seemed hopeless because you have to have the perfect set of circumstances with the temps, barometric pressure, feeding, water changes and a full moon. I thought it was a joke at first lol. It occurred to me last night that I accidentally created those circumstances. I have been doing huge water changes while treating for flukes. I switched to Repashy and was feeding a bit more than usual just because I was excited about it. The night before last was a full moon. The temperature dropped for a week and them warmed right up...and we had 2 days of rain. Go figure:)

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I know the feeling exactly:)

On a cool note, I was researching breeding. It seemed hopeless because you have to have the perfect set of circumstances with the temps, barometric pressure, feeding, water changes and a full moon. I thought it was a joke at first lol. It occurred to me last night that I accidentally created those circumstances. I have been doing huge water changes while treating for flukes. I switched to Repashy and was feeding a bit more than usual just because I was excited about it. The night before last was a full moon. The temperature dropped for a week and them warmed right up...and we had 2 days of rain. Go figure:)

Yeah I think the same happened to me. I've been feeding a bit more. Rescaped my tank with more plants so put my T5HO light back on tank which heats the water a bit. So think it all just occurred by circumstance.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Oh, what kind of fish are mom and dad? Mine have three possible baby daddies haha. The mom is a copper fantail and the possible dads are 2 orange veil tail orandas or a red oranda. I'd love to see some red.