NLS or Omega One?

Justin

I know that there are a lot of new keepers in the food section looking for a good food that they can feed their fish. I, however, know that both Omega One small sinking pellets and New Life Spectrum .3mm sinking pellets are both very good foods for my fish, but I'm wondering-- which is better? As a staple food, I could use more of one, more of the other, or rotate. What should I do. Replies from people who have tried both food are very appreciated. I would also appreciate it if you could tell me what food you use...

Thanks!

I don't think that 0.3mm are necessarily good, and larger size pellets can be problematic, especially for small fish.

I would recommend that you stay with pellets that are 2mm and under. I don't think there are any goldfish that actually needs to eat bigger pellets.

Both Omega One and NLS are fantastic pellets. Try them both and see which you and your fish like better. My favorite is Hikari Lionhead, which is really good for everyone, not just lionheads. :)

I don't think that 0.3mm are necessarily good, and larger size pellets can be problematic, especially for small fish. I would recommend that you stay with pellets that are 2mm and under. I don't think there are any goldfish that actually needs to eat bigger pellets. Both Omega One and NLS are fantastic pellets. Try them both and see which you and your fish like better. My favorite is Hikari Lionhead, which is really good for everyone, not just lionheads. :)

Alright. I will buy 1mm and see which food my fish seem to like better. Is 1mm good?

I don't think that 0.3mm are necessarily good, and larger size pellets can be problematic, especially for small fish. I would recommend that you stay with pellets that are 2mm and under. I don't think there are any goldfish that actually needs to eat bigger pellets. Both Omega One and NLS are fantastic pellets. Try them both and see which you and your fish like better. My favorite is Hikari Lionhead, which is really good for everyone, not just lionheads. :)

Alright. I will buy 1mm and see which food my fish seem to like better. Is 1mm good?

That's the size I use. No matter how big your fish are, they can still eat these pellets. The only problem with these is if you have gravel, they can slip through and accumulate, which is not good.

That's the size I use. No matter how big your fish are, they can still eat these pellets. The only problem with these is if you have gravel, they can slip through and accumulate, which is not good.

I will have to be much more diligent with my cleanings, especially since I use sand. Now are the times I wished I liked the aesthetic bare bottom tanks produce. Sigh.

I have sand and have fed the small Omega One pellets from the start. The fish have had great growth and have nice color. I have no complaints about it. :)

I hope I see the same. I just started a regime of Omega One coming from flakes. I know flakes are not the best, but I would soak them so they would sink. Anyways, they are just starting to adjust to the faster-sinking pellets. The flakes would mostly drift down very slowly, these sink much faster. So, by the time the feeding is over, quite a bit of food is on the bottom. Then they go foraging, which I think is kind of fun to watch. Anyways, like I said, I hope my new feeding practice makes improvements in my 8ish month old fish!

I've recently started feeding nls again because I was out of progold. I do feed the big ones though because the little ones I bought were getting lost because of the substrate I have. I would prefer to be feeding the smaller ones but it's just not possible with my substrate.

I've recently started feeding nls again because I was out of progold. I do feed the big ones though because the little ones I bought were getting lost because of the substrate I have. I would prefer to be feeding the smaller ones but it's just not possible with my substrate.

I'm sure your monsters are just eating them like any other pellet. :lol2

• 4 weeks later...

I use both brands as my staple diet. I use 2mm Omega One mixed with 3mm NLS I do have larger fish though. I just mix both in a container and make sure there is a varied mix of each when feeding.

I use both brands as my staple diet. I use 2mm Omega One mixed with 3mm NLS I do have larger fish though. I just mix both in a container and make sure there is a varied mix of each when feeding.

I have found that the 3mm NLS or Omega One pellets are actually too big, and can exacerbate floaty issues in some fish.

In general, all fish young adult and adult goldfish can eat 1-2 mm pellets, no matter how large. However, bigger pellets can cause problems.

My ryukin must be in excess of 300 grams, and I still give him 1.5mm pellets max. :)

Both NLS and Omega are great pellets. If you get a chance, try Hikari Lionhead, the pellet to rule them all. :rofl

I agree with Alex. I feed my fish a 50/50 blend of NLS and Omega One 1mm sinking pellets several times a week. I also feed them the Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets. And...I too, have sand which doesn't trap the food like gravel.

I have found that the 3mm NLS or Omega One pellets are actually too big, and can exacerbate floaty issues in some fish.

In general, all fish young adult and adult goldfish can eat 1-2 mm pellets, no matter how large. However, bigger pellets can cause problems.

My ryukin must be in excess of 300 grams, and I still give him 1.5mm pellets max. :)

Both NLS and Omega are great pellets. If you get a chance, try Hikari Lionhead, the pellet to rule them all. :rofl

HL = The "precious" pellet :rofl

Edited by jmetzger72