good food available in the UK?

cgallagher

hi there, i have been feeding my goldfish a mixture of fresh veggies/peas etc and tetrafin gold japan sinking pellets (because these were the only sinking pellets i could find at the time).. recently had a scare with their health and whilst looking something up i found that the tetra stuff wasn't very good for them as it had a lot of fillers in or something. i read that Pro-Gold is good food, but that isn't available in the UK, and the only 'repashy' stuff i can find is for reptiles..

i don't have the means to make my own gel food at the moment (i don't have a blender or anything like that) but i want to give them the best i can for now. i have found some bags of hikari saki on amazon but i'm not sure what to go for. i have three fancies (one oranda, one ryukin, one regular fantail) in the same tank, so don't know whether something like oranda gold by hikari would be a good one to go for? or my mum lives near a maidenhead aquatics and found something called JBL goldpearls?

sorry about rambling, i just feel like i've been feeding them bad food and want to give them the best thing, thanks to anyone who can give me good advice!

edit; and one of my fish is white/silver so anything that doesn't change his colour would be best..!

Edited by cgallagher

hi there, i have been feeding my goldfish a mixture of fresh veggies/peas etc and tetrafin gold japan sinking pellets (because these were the only sinking pellets i could find at the time).. recently had a scare with their health and whilst looking something up i found that the tetra stuff wasn't very good for them as it had a lot of fillers in or something. i read that Pro-Gold is good food, but that isn't available in the UK, and the only 'repashy' stuff i can find is for reptiles..

i don't have the means to make my own gel food at the moment (i don't have a blender or anything like that) but i want to give them the best i can for now. i have found some bags of hikari saki on amazon but i'm not sure what to go for. i have three fancies (one oranda, one ryukin, one regular fantail) in the same tank, so don't know whether something like oranda gold by hikari would be a good one to go for? or my mum lives near a maidenhead aquatics and found something called JBL goldpearls?

sorry about rambling, i just feel like i've been feeding them bad food and want to give them the best thing, thanks to anyone who can give me good advice!

edit; and one of my fish is white/silver so anything that doesn't change his colour would be best..!

Hello, I can't find the ingredients for the Tetrafin Gold Japan, so I can't comment specifically on the quality of the food, but I can say that you can judge whether the food has too much fillers or not based on looking at the first four listed ingredients. Here are the criteria:

- the food is really made up mostly of the first four ingredients listed, so that's what we need to evaluate

- the first two ingredients absolutely should NOT be anything starchy or land-based, and should be things like whole fish meal, krill meal, algae, etc.

- most premium foods will actually not have anything landbased or starchy in the first three ingredients

- you do need those starchy things as binders, so there will be fillers in every commercial pellet food.

MRC's suggestions above are great. Hikari foods are fantastic, and my favorite is the Hikari Lionhead. :)

:hi Welcome to the forum.

I feed my fish Saki Hikari fancy goldfish pellets and New life spectrum goldfish formula. They love both foods but what I have found is that if they get too much it makes my oldest fish a little floaty. I try to balance their diet with fresh veggies too. :)

Hello, I can't find the ingredients for the Tetrafin Gold Japan, so I can't comment specifically on the quality of the food, but I can say that you can judge whether the food has too much fillers or not based on looking at the first four listed ingredients. Here are the criteria:

- the food is really made up mostly of the first four ingredients listed, so that's what we need to evaluate

- the first two ingredients absolutely should NOT be anything starchy or land-based, and should be things like whole fish meal, krill meal, algae, etc.

- most premium foods will actually not have anything landbased or starchy in the first three ingredients

- you do need those starchy things as binders, so there will be fillers in every commercial pellet food.

MRC's suggestions above are great. Hikari foods are fantastic, and my favorite is the Hikari Lionhead. :)

Ingredients of TetraFin Gold Japan(Premium Food for Fancy Goldfish). Vegetable protein extracts, fish and fish derivatives,cereals, derivatives of vegetable origin, yeasts, oil and fats, milk and milk derivatives, minerals and lecithin. Typical Analysis: Protein 47%, Oil 10%, Fibre 2%, Ash 8%, Moisture 8%. Vitamin includes, vitamin A, D3, Vitamin E, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate.

oh thank-you so much for all your help! it was a website i found whilst i was searching and it just mentioned that it was particularly bad but i looked at the ingredients and i couldn't work out what was what.

how much/often would you recommend that i feed, and what would you recommend supplementing with? perhaps the aquarian food or the hikari lionhead? sorry for all the questions, and thank-you for being so helpful! (:

Please don't be sorry. This is why we are here. :)

I actually would recommend using the Hikari as the staple, and this as a supplement or so.

I would recommend feeding young fish 3-6 times a day, with each time about enough food for about 30-60 seconds.

If you want to be more precise, then we would go with 0.75%-1.5% body weight daily, spread over 3-6 meals.

Please ask or bring up anything you like. :)

Did you know that Hikari lionhead protein is higher that TetraFin Gold Japan? Typical analysis is 50% so it says on my packet :idont

Ours is around 46% which is in the same range. :)

I did know that, and I do adjust accordingly. :)