TANKED on Animal Planet

Goldsguy

Just saw an episode of TANKED in which they did a 5 gallon "baby bottle" tall cylindrical tank with no obvious filtration. Just a bubbler and TWELVE red capped goldfish.

Talk about a show on an animal channel completely dropping the ball and perpetuating myths about keeping goldfish. They could have educated people but instead just chose entertainment route.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Just saw an episode of TANKED in which they did a 5 gallon "baby bottle" tall cylindrical tank with no obvious filtration. Just a bubbler and TWELVE red capped goldfish.

Talk about a show on an animal channel completely dropping the ball and perpetuating myths about keeping goldfish. They could have educated people but instead just chose entertainment route.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I would encourage everyone who saw this show to write to the producers and the tanked guys to protest the misinformation. Let's educate them a bit. :)

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I would encourage everyone who saw this show to write to the producers and the tanked guys to protest the misinformation. Let's educate them a bit. :)

I was just actually in the process of doing that. They spend more time on filming the antics of the main characters. Granted if that's their thing, but don't detract from providing information and using the show to also educate their viewers. After all Animal Planet was formed to do that. This show was a disgrace.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I was just actually in the process of doing that. They spend more time on filming the antics of the main characters. Granted if that's their thing, but don't detract from providing information and using the show to also educate their viewers. After all Animal Planet was formed to do that. This show was a disgrace.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Jeff,

If possible, may be you can make a copy of that letter here, just in case for others to copy and send to the show?

TV shows have the capability to rollback the effort of many people to educate about goldfish keeping, but I think that with pro-active feedback, we can influence the shows to change. :)

I am going to try and find this episode. And good idea with posting the letter for us all to send in. :)

Would you happen to know what episode it was?

Edited by Mikey

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Jeff,

If possible, may be you can make a copy of that letter here, just in case for others to copy and send to the show?

TV shows have the capability to rollback the effort of many people to educate about goldfish keeping, but I think that with pro-active feedback, we can influence the shows to change. :)

Good idea. I will do that. I was in the process of writing in my phone when browser crashed.

However here's the link to correspond to animal planted:

http://corporate.discovery.com/contact/viewer-relations/

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I am going to try and find this episode. And good idea with posting the letter for us all to send in. :)

It was the show regarding building an octopus tank for Tracy Morgan.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/tanked/tv-schedule.htm

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

It was the show regarding building an octopus tank for Tracy Morgan.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/tanked/tv-schedule.htm

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Thank you. It's actually on right now :o

I just watched that too. Awesome octo tank but almost cried when I saw that pitiful excuse for a tank. They do awesome tanks but have very little knowledge when it comes to freshwater fish. Especially goldfish and koi. :/

I have seen an ep where they put goldies in with tropical fish for a Halloween tank. Along with some of the builds being stressful to the fish. Like the skateboard tank. :/

I was just about to come and make a post about this. That was insane!!!! I thought they were joking at first. They are probably the most influential people in the aquarium world and they go and do something like that.....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

They also made a drum set tank that worked as drums and then filled the drums with lion heads , orandas and telescopes , those poor fish were sloshing all over in the drums :( I mean who would put fish thought that sort of torture found it

Edited by Gustave

• Supporter

I really love watching what tanks they come up with, but have never seen them do anything good with freshwater fish :(

I feel really bad for the fish in the skateboard and drum tanks too, and the pinball machine tank.

It's a shame they don't take into account how the fish would feel in those tanks

Hey guys,

It is great to see people actively talking about animal ethics; however, as a caution, please do not turn this thread into something nasty. Over in the Horror Stories sub-forum, these kinds of complaint threads became prohibited because they had a tendency to become slanderous. There was also a deluge of them, which offered little in the way of broadening our knowledge as a site.

I want to state that nobody has done anything wrong, and I am really pleased to see the steps being made to contact representatives of the show.

Thank you.

I think it would be a good idea if we all pitch in and write a letter to the corporation of Tanked. They obviously do not know anything about proper compatibility and individual needs of fish. If you were in a business like this, granted you should know the proper care of a goldfish, they are one of the most popular fish in the aquarium industry. If you don't know anything about them or their coldwater counterparts, you shouldn't jump on the gun and start to build a tank and you have no idea if it will suit their needs.

I think the biggest concern of their show is they no nothing about proper compatibility. They made a tank with axolotls and tropical fish, both with temperature requirements on polar opposite sides. No to mention their Halloween-themed tank which had Black Moors and Parrot Chiclids together because they both looked "scary."

What they are doing is wrong and discouraging to newer aquarists who watch the show and do just like them.

We have some really good arguments on why they are not doing right. Alex has a really good idea. Although we do not know much about saltwater fish, we all know very well about goldfish. If we can base our argument on what they are doing with goldfish is not correct (the baby bottle tank is a good example) and explain their needs for proper filtration, water changes,and a well-rounded diet. Maybe you can write the letter on behalf of the Koko's Goldfish Forum, and give them a link to us.

Perhaps they will reconsider it and make an effort to change. But, let's not forget, they are a large corporation who are looking to make money, and may not be focused on taking the time to make sure their fish are going to a great, forever home.

Maybe you can write the letter on behalf of the Koko's Goldfish Forum, and give them a link to us.

Of course you are all free to write letters and such, but please don't do it on behalf of, or in the name of Koko's.

We have good reasons for asking this as it is also in the rules of the forum.

Thanks for understanding.

I really like the idea of writing the network. There's so much misinformation out there when it comes to fish keeping that it saddens me to see Animal Planet, who people look to as a trustworthy source, spreading terrible advice and acting like you can just throw whatever you want in whatever tank you want and it'll be fine.

I always wonder who does the maintenance on some of these tanks after Tanked leaves. Do they hook them up with a good aquarium maintenance company? If they do, some of those people who really know their stuff must be horrified when they come in and see the tanks. I'm always curious what ends up happening because I really doubt the shop owners or whoever the tank is for are the ones doing the work since they clearly don't know the first thing about fish.

I think it would be a good idea if we all pitch in and write a letter to the corporation of Tanked. They obviously do not know anything about proper compatibility and individual needs of fish. If you were in a business like this, granted you should know the proper care of a goldfish, they are one of the most popular fish in the aquarium industry. If you don't know anything about them or their coldwater counterparts, you shouldn't jump on the gun and start to build a tank and you have no idea if it will suit their needs.

I think the biggest concern of their show is they no nothing about proper compatibility. They made a tank with axolotls and tropical fish, both with temperature requirements on polar opposite sides. No to mention their Halloween-themed tank which had Black Moors and Parrot Chiclids together because they both looked "scary."

What they are doing is wrong and discouraging to newer aquarists who watch the show and do just like them.

We have some really good arguments on why they are not doing right. Alex has a really good idea. Although we do not know much about saltwater fish, we all know very well about goldfish. If we can base our argument on what they are doing with goldfish is not correct (the baby bottle tank is a good example) and explain their needs for proper filtration, water changes,and a well-rounded diet. Maybe you can write the letter on behalf of the Koko's Goldfish Forum, and give them a link to us.

Perhaps they will reconsider it and make an effort to change. But, let's not forget, they are a large corporation who are looking to make money, and may not be focused on taking the time to make sure their fish are going to a great, forever home.

As someone who does know a lot about saltwater, I would just like to say they're much better with their tanks and compatibility with those fishes. However, they overstock SO much in their saltwater tanks.

Their freshwater tanks are very sad to watch; always overstocked and very poorly set up. I remember an episode with an 8 gallon tv for a little boy and they out close to 20 fish in it with no live plants. I do agree that this should be brought to their attention, if it hasn't been already.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

My husband & I have watched this show, once. There was a reason for that, many of which are listed above. It's truly disappointing to see the things shown on that program.

Liz Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX

Here is my note to Animal Planet:

As an aquarist, I would watched "TANKED" to see the various builds, etc of that show. However, their knowledge of freshwater is not adequate for a show that should be educational for people who don't know a lot about fish-keeping, etc. As an owner of goldfish, I was quite upset to see at the end of the episode in which they built an octopus tank for Tracy Morgan include a "baby bottle" tank for goldfish for Tracy's daughter's room. As this show illustrates them to be professionals who should know what they are doing, to put over a dozen goldfish into a five-gallon tank with no obvious filtration, except for an air-bubbler was gross neglect. This perpetrates the misconception that goldfish stay small, are expendable, etc. Goldfish, as a member of the carp family actually grows quite large and can live for decades if properly cared for. The longest on record is 43 years. Goldfish require a minimal of 20 gallons PER fish, and 10x the filtration as they lack a stomach and thus pollute the water. The tank must be cycled, etc. For them to fill a tank in a shower, throw a dozen fish into a tank not big enough for one is a gross disservice to your viewers. If they have a program that is supposed to provide knowledge, and respect for fish as the hobby grows, then you as the network should insist the information portrayed is accurate especially being an educational channel that encourages respect and conservation of animals. I urge your attention in this matter.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Here was the response from Animal Planet to my comments regarding the TANKED episode:

Dear Viewer:

Thank you for contacting Animal Planet. We value your comments about our

network and your desire to assist us in providing quality programming.

We received your comments about Tanked and have forwarded them to our

programming department for their review. We always appreciate when viewers

like you take time to share information with us. Your suggestions will be

given full consideration.

Thank you again for expressing your interest in our programming.

Sincerely,

Viewer Relations

Animal Planet

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets