Canister Filter Flow Rate?

Justin

Hello! I was wondering what the recommended flow rate is for goldfish aquariums equipped with canister filters. I know that for HOB filters the recommended rate is 10x tank volume per hour. Is it the same for canister filters? Taking into account that the water passes through much more media, would it reduce the amount of flow needed to effectively clean a tank? I know that there are some that still firmly believe in the 10x rule even for canisters, while there are others, like Jennie from SolidGold, who recommend only 5x the flow rate for tanks that are being filtered by canisters. Any answers are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Really, if you have the option for more flow rate do it. 10x would still be ideal, but you can get away with less (5-7x, 5-8x are often recommendations). Good filtration is always good for goldfish and I don't think anyone here would tell you not to do 10x gph with canisters. But there is general consensus that you can probably get away with less gph simply because canisters hold more media and thus provide more surface area for biological filtration.

I have about 6.75x filtration on my 75 gallon using two canisters. I would like to eventually replace one of my canisters to get a bit more flow rate, but it is really fine where it is right now.

I have a 525gph on my 40B and at times it don't seem quite enough. So idk lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Really, if you have the option for more flow rate do it. 10x would still be ideal, but you can get away with less (5-7x, 5-8x are often recommendations). Good filtration is always good for goldfish and I don't think anyone here would tell you not to do 10x gph with canisters. But there is general consensus that you can probably get away with less gph simply because canisters hold more media and thus provide more surface area for biological filtration.

I have about 6.75x filtration on my 75 gallon using two canisters. I would like to eventually replace one of my canisters to get a bit more flow rate, but it is really fine where it is right now.

I assumed this was the general consensus. I have read that you can't have too much filtration unless it is impairing the fish's ability to effectively maneuver itself. I was asking because I have an emperor 400 running on a 46 gallon with three goldies in it, and I want to add a canister filter that does 265gph. I know that this will be more than sufficient with my current setup, but was wondering if it would be able to handle a seventy five gallon tank. Should buy a more capable canister filter now, or add another and retire the Emperor when the time comes to get my seventy five? Thanks for the relies, guys. Really means a lot to me. Edited by Justin

I think that setup would be just fine for a 75 gallon (the emperor and canister).

On my 75 I have a fluval 306 (303 gph) and an eheim ecco 2236 (198 gph) and am generally happy with the amount of filtration. If I had had enough money at the time I would have gone with the fluval 406 rather than the 306 though.

• Supporter

I'm not going to tell you what you shoyld do since I am new to canisters myself lol. But I will tell you my plan. On my 80gal I have two AC 110's they are great but I'm thinking of going to all canisters so my plane is to get 2 sunsun 525gph canisters to replace them. I have 5 fish in the 80+ a few snails so I think tthe extea filtration would be beneficial to me especially as they get older and bigger. If you plan on just having 3 in the 75 (which is quite alright) idk if you would need that much as you would have a smaller bioload but like you said the more the merrier lol. Oh but you should consider more than one filter whatever you do just incase one breaks down that was you don't lose all your filtration.

I know this has been no help lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I think that setup would be just fine for a 75 gallon (the emperor and canister).

On my 75 I have a fluval 306 (303 gph) and an eheim ecco 2236 (198 gph) and am generally happy with the amount of filtration. If I had had enough money at the time I would have gone with the fluval 406 rather than the 306 though.

That is what I'll do, then. If it turns out that when they are in the seventy five that they need more filtration, I will be sure to get another right away. Thanks for all the help!

I'm not going to tell you what you shoyld do since I am new to canisters myself lol. But I will tell you my plan. On my 80gal I have two AC 110's they are great but I'm thinking of going to all canisters so my plane is to get 2 sunsun 525gph canisters to replace them. I have 5 fish in the 80+ a few snails so I think tthe extea filtration would be beneficial to me especially as they get older and bigger. If you plan on just having 3 in the 75 (which is quite alright) idk if you would need that much as you would have a smaller bioload but like you said the more the merrier lol. Oh but you should consider more than one filter whatever you do just incase one breaks down that was you don't lose all your filtration. I know this has been no help lol Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You'll have some lucky fish! As you said, 3 goldfish in a seventy five really wouldn't be much of a bio load at all, so hopefully my Emperor 400 and Canister filter can do the job. What Sunsun are you looking at? I was looking into those, but ultimately I think I'm going to go with Cascade by Penn-Plax.