Dropsy once again :(

I am so depressed.... my little girly betta is majorly pine-conned now. This has happened to almost every betta I have ever owned at some point. I have NO IDEA what caused this, and it is really getting me down. I know exactly how to treat this, as I have done it so many times, and have been successful a couple times, but eventually the bettas do succumb to the dropsy at a later time.

All I have to treat her at the moment is some most likely expired Metro-meds, since I ran out of Metro powder and forgot to reorder it.. She seems to love the metro-meds, so I am hoping it works.... My poor girl :(

I just really needed to rant to you guys because this seems to happen to me so often and it really gets me down. I know for a fact I am doing everything right, so I just have no idea what to do... I think I am going to stick to only tetras in that tank from now on because I get way less emotionally attached to them... :(

I'm so sorry, Haley. :(

I am beginning to think that dropsy is really something that you get when your water is below a certain threshold of gH. Even though 40-50ppm is the recommended medium, I think many fish do better with harder water, unless they are those types that thrive in soft water.

Do you know what your kH is?

I do not have a kH and gH test, but I know we have pretty hard water here, since ours comes straight from the lake. I always have a lot of water deposits around the tops of my tanks, so I am thinking our water must be fairly hard...... but really, who knows. It just makes me so sad, because I feel like it is my fault :(

It's certainly not your fault, although there might be some way to tweek the set-up in order to make them more resistant. We haven't had a betta because they do not seem to last long around here, perhaps because of our soft water. Grumps has a tropical tank and has wanted to try. The betta stock available here also seem to have had a rough ride during shipment.

• Supporter

haley, I am sorry your betta is pineconed. could you help us out a little by answering the questions? also, what's the expiry on the MM's and how have you been storing them?

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level (tank):
    • * Nitrite Level (tank)
    • * Nitrate level (Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
    • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
    • * Nitrate level (Tap)
    • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Tank information:
      • * Brand of test kit (drops or strips):
      • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH)
      • * Additives and conditioners:
      • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify):
      • * Last water change date:
      • * Tank size (Gallons or litres):
      • * Fish in the tank (species and number):
  • * Any new fish added into the tank:
  • -If Yes: Were they quarantined?
  • -If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added):
  • * List prior health issues in tank:
  • * Medications previously added to the tank:
  • * Medications on hand:
Affected fish information:
  • * Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding:
  • * Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc:
  • * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank:
  • * Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank:
  • * Current medications being used on affected fish:
  • * Previous medications used to treat affected fish:
  • * If any, list previous health issues and treatment protocols taken:)
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video

I have no idea about the MM's because Koko sent them to me a while ago when my Goldy was pineconned... they got to me after he passed, so I have just had them in the back of my fish cupboard in our basement in a ziplock bag

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0
    • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level (Tank) around 5
    • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
    • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
    • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
    • Tank information:
      • * Brand of test kit (drops or strips): API drops
      • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH) Whisper 20 (I think.... I am at work right now so I can't check it. It is the smallest whisper)
      • * Additives and conditioners: Prime, excel at a half dose and Flourish ferts
      • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): 80
      • * Last water change date: 3 days ago
      • * Tank size (Gallons or litres): 10 gallon
      • * Fish in the tank (species and number): 1 female betta, 7 neons, 1 male guppy, 1 Amano shrimp, trumpet snails
  • * Any new fish added into the tank: Nope
  • -If Yes: Were they quarantined?
  • -If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added):
  • * List prior health issues in tank: Ich when the neons were added a few months ago
  • * Medications previously added to the tank: Salt
  • * Medications on hand: Salt, some random things that I can't recall at the moment (I am at work) and most likely expired metro meds

Affected fish information:

• * Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding: NorthFin Betta Bits for betta, and New Life Spectrum Thera small fish formula for tetras and guppy
  • * Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc: Nope
  • * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: Nope other then pineconned betta
  • * Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank: at the moment still in main tank because I had no time to set up quarantine last night
  • * Current medications being used on affected fish: Metro meds, will be adding Epsom once in QT
  • * Previous medications used to treat affected fish: Salt
  • * If any, list previous health issues and treatment protocols taken:) Salt and heat for ich
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video

There is not really a reason for me to answer the questions as there is no real cause, and this has happened to me before. I clean out the filter regularly, and there is no substrate in the tank for nasties to build up in (I feel like we tried to solve the mystery so many times before and there seems to be nothing)

She is still gigantic... she is very active and willing to eat though which is a good sign... I can try getting pictures later (I am in class right now)... not sure what will really help though. I really have nothing else to treat her but the expired metro-meds. I ordered more powdered metro, but it takes FOREVER to get to me

She is still gigantic... she is very active and willing to eat though which is a good sign... I can try getting pictures later (I am in class right now)... not sure what will really help though. I really have nothing else to treat her but the expired metro-meds. I ordered more powdered metro, but it takes FOREVER to get to me

Just continue with the metro-meds and Epsom, which you can further increase to 1/2 teaspoons per 10 gallons.

The MMs should still be good. The only concern would have been the food going stale.