Re-aquascaped my Comet Tank

Goldsguy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks really really great!! love it!

Thanks Tithra. Means a lot that you like it.

Do you use CO2 injection in your tanks?

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

yes, I do now. I just started using co2 back in June :)

Absolutely stunning tanks can be done without co2. I only chose to begin using it because I was really interested in trying my hand at keeping some more delicate/needy plants that require high light/co2. Plus I was interested in learning more about using co2 in a planted tank and the best way to learn is to do.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Absolutely stunning tanks can be done without co2. I only chose to begin using it because I was really interested in trying my hand at keeping some more delicate/needy plants that require high light/co2. Plus I was interested in learning more about using co2 in a planted tank and the best way to learn is to do.

Do you use DYI? I have some plants that are medium to high light onion and temple plant. Not sure how much co2 goldfish respire. I do dose Excel. But I know u have to be careful when u have fish.

You should share your particular knowledge with a planted gf with co2 injection :)

I have been curious but nervous to try.

I have a dual T5HO fixture with 2x 54w bulbs. White 6500k and a colormax bulb. Also have the Marineland Aquatic Plant LED fixture. Both 48". I assume this puts me in the medium light bracket.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Do you use DYI? I have some plants that are medium to high light onion and temple plant. Not sure how much co2 goldfish respire. I do dose Excel. But I know u have to be careful when u have fish.

You should share your particular knowledge with a planted gf with co2 injection :)

I have a dual T5HO fixture with 2x 54w bulbs. White 6500k and a colormax bulb. Also have the Marineland Aquatic Plant LED fixture. Both 48". I assume this puts me in the medium light bracket.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

No, no DIY for me. I have never had any interest in going that route. I have a basic single stage regulator, 5lb co2 tank, and inline diffuser for my goldfish tank. With goldfish, I think the biggest concern with pressurized co2 is the pH drop it causes. Although many will say that the pH drop related to co2 injection is not really a concern for fish, that it is more about the kh value, the great majority of these individuals are tropical fish keepers, so I am very hesitant to apply that logic to goldfish. So, I use a pH controller to make sure that my pH does not drop below a set point. I just set the controller to whatever pH I want, and the co2 turns on if the pH begins to rise above the set point and turns off if the ph begins to drop below.

Honestly, I was very nervous to use co2 with my fish initially, so I just started very slowly and watched their behavior closely for signs of distress such as bottom sitting, clamped fins, or gasping/yawning. I then slowly began increasing the amount of co2 on the weekends when I was home to watch over them until it was at the level I wanted. Part of the reason I didn't ever want to do DIY, is that you just have so much more control with a regulator, and I felt more comfortable knowing I could make small adjustments and trust that these adjustments would remain stable.

I don't use a bubble wand or airstone in my tank anymore. But I make sure there is good water movement in the tank from the filters to help with degassing and aeration.

Yes, you are likely in the medium light bracket with your tank height and those fixtures :) So, it's good you are using excel and if your plants are healthy and you don't have major algae issues, then the excel is doing it's job.

I'm still very new to co2 and still learning, but I'm happy to answer any questions as best I can if you ever do decide to go this route :)

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

No, no DIY for me. I have never had any interest in going that route. I have a basic single stage regulator, 5lb co2 tank, and inline diffuser for my goldfish tank. With goldfish, I think the biggest concern with pressurized co2 is the pH drop it causes. Although many will say that the pH drop related to co2 injection is not really a concern for fish, that it is more about the kh value, the great majority of these individuals are tropical fish keepers, so I am very hesitant to apply that logic to goldfish. So, I use a pH controller to make sure that my pH does not drop below a set point. I just set the controller to whatever pH I want, and the co2 turns on if the pH begins to rise above the set point and turns off if the ph begins to drop below.

Honestly, I was very nervous to use co2 with my fish initially, so I just started very slowly and watched their behavior closely for signs of distress such as bottom sitting, clamped fins, or gasping/yawning. I then slowly began increasing the amount of co2 on the weekends when I was home to watch over them until it was at the level I wanted. Part of the reason I didn't ever want to do DIY, is that you just have so much more control with a regulator, and I felt more comfortable knowing I could make small adjustments and trust that these adjustments would remain stable.

I don't use a bubble wand or airstone in my tank anymore. But I make sure there is good water movement in the tank from the filters to help with degassing and aeration.

Yes, you are likely in the medium light bracket with your tank height and those fixtures :) So, it's good you are using excel and if your plants are healthy and you don't have major algae issues, then the excel is doing it's job.

I'm still very new to co2 and still learning, but I'm happy to answer any questions as best I can if you ever do decide to go this route :)

Thanks for the information. I did read about the pH regulator and that's a great idea.

You should really write an article regarding a high tech tank with GF. As you stated most of the information out there pertains to tropicals.

Also not many of the high light plants would prosper in colder water which is another dilemma in having a lush planted GF tank. That and many of those plants just being lunch for the GF.

Good point regarding the bubblers and/or airstones. I have good flow and surface agitation with the output of my two FX5's. I think I'll remove two of the airstones to keep Co2 from degassing out too quickly.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Yes, a heater is certainly needed for some of those higher light plants that do best in warm water, but it can be done within goldfish appropriate range. I keep my tank at 72F and low to mid 70's should be fine for the vast majority of plants. Whether or not the plants become lunch highly depends on the fish :P As you already know, plants with goldfish are a lot of trial and error. Those of us with fancies probably have it much easier though. The one thing I do hate though is people limiting themselves right off the bat simply because they have goldfish. Some plants may not work depending on the fish, but if people would branch out a bit more they might find lots of different options that they once assumed would not work in their tank. I really believe goldfish tanks can be beautiful lush aquascaped tanks too, it just takes a little more trial and error and ingenuity than your typical tropical tank.