5.5 gallon planted tank update.

scurrie

So a while ago I posted about refurbishing a tank for my betta fish. Well this tank has turned into an experiment. And the experiment has been working WONDERFULLY. Not long after I had my betta in there, I added 3 long finned cherry barbs. Then my big tank went down and the only things that survived were my glass catfish. So I threw them in there and continued adding plants. I tested everything 2x a week to make sure they were staying at safe levels. 2 weeks ago I added 3 rummy nose tetras and added my reallllly old bamboo to my filter. My nitrates haven't gone above 5ppm since all of this. I added another plant today and just wanted to show you all what it's looking like. Because it's become my favorite tank in my entire house now. I love live plants so much haha.

Posted Image

There she is. I'm trying to get my micro swords in the front to stop getting beaten up by my snail but it keeps climbing up its delicate leaves and breaking them. I want to try to get a "lawn" going with it but it keeps getting broken. Everything else grows like a weed. I have to. Cut back once a week. Except for my red ludwigia. It's pretty slow growing. Which is okay.

Hey Jess, if you're reading, how do you go about propagating ludwigia?

Posted Image

Peekaboo rummy nose.

Posted Image

Also Jess, i can't remember what this one is called, if any one knows that'd be good. Also how to propagate.

Posted Image

Photo bombers. Also if anyone knows this one. It looks like a "hedge" plant but I don't know.

Posted Image

I made a post about this critter in crustaceans. But this is my newest invertebrate; the clam.

Posted Image

Sneaky red ludwigia.

Posted Image

Also this is that first plant from above.

Thanks for reading!!! :)

Oh and note; my betta fish has ALWAYS looked like that. I bought him that way and tried and tried to get him to look better, he hasn't changed. He's a happy bugger who's been alive for almost a year :P

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Here is the video I meant to post with clips of the fish in the tank and everyone swimming around being happy and pumped up.

http://instagram.com/p/gosvjUuiG_/

I love it, brilliant work :)

I've never seen cherry barbs with such nice tails.

They're long finned! Their ventral fins are huge as well.

That's a chocked full 5 gal :goodjob Its amazing :heart That little clam is intriguing too :D Your plants look very happy :9

That's a chocked full 5 gal :goodjob Its amazing :heart That little clam is intriguing too :D Your plants look very happy :9

You can say that again!!!! :P I've been monitoring the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates like a hawk. I've only seen one spike in nitrates, it went up to 30ppm a few weeks ago, then I added the bamboo and its been 5-10ppm every week. I was also really careful with picking the fish, I picked fish that don't get too big. (except for my glass catfish, those were inevitable) they LOVE this tank though. In my big tank they'd hide behind the rocks. Now they're always in the front fighting for food and beating up the cherry barbs when they step out of line (like when they steal food or accidentally nip the cats). But I think I've got the perfect balance of plants and fish now. They plants stopped growing for a week so I added a few more fish and they're back to growing again...so strange how this all works but I LOVE IT.

Edited by scurrie

The video wasn't working for me. :)

Your tank is amazing. Beautiful, love all your plants.

Oh no! Did it not load the page at all?

It's like a little paradise haha. It's right next to my bed so every night I stare at them for like an hour before falling asleep. They all just seem so happy in this little planted tank. I'm actually really proud of this tank :P

That's beautiful, Sierra. What temp do you keep it?

I keep it around 83. It's kinda cold in my bedroom so I like to keep it a little higher especially for Mr. Betta.

Oh what a cool tank!

Thank you!

It's lovely, Sierra!! The plants are looking great. :)

Thanks! I've definitely added more since I first started this tank, but the original ones are going nuts!

Your tank is so beautiful!

Gorgeousness!

You want me to name this one hufflepuff? Or maybe I'll name all the individual fish Harry Po-Po characters.

Wow! What a lovely tank! You have so much in there and they all seem so happy. Congrats!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Well. Bad news. That ring of plants? The wood rotted away from behind and started to grow grey mold on it. I'm fairly certain, since there wasn't a change in water quality and the only other thing that changed was the clam, that that's what killed all my fish. I took the ring out and almost immediately they stopped dying over night. I lost my 3 year old glass catfish, 2 of my rummy nose and all my long finned cherry barbs. Snail, clam and betta and 1 rummy made it out okay. This happened over the course of 24 hours. I'm so bummed :( I just don't understand how something that's supposed to be made aquatic completely rotted away like that. :(

So I found some cherry shrimp and I'm trying those. Hopefully I can get this going again. So so so mad :(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free