Freshwater clam!

scurrie

Went to my favorite lfs today and found myself a filter feeder! Posted Image

I threw him in my planted tank for a while figuring I could find him a place in my bigger tank, but he's, well....he's happy as a clam in the planted tank. He dug himself right down and is now eating.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

That is so unique :heart I want to see it dig :o Excellent find :thumbs:

It was only a couple of dollars that was the best part :P I put it in there right side up and within 20 seconds it had its foot out dragging itself across the gravel. I'm getting ready to change this tank over to sand at some point so maybe it will be a little more comfortable, but for now apparently its happy. It's mantle is an iridescent white color its very pretty.

It was only a couple of dollars that was the best part :P I put it in there right side up and within 20 seconds it had its foot out dragging itself across the gravel. I'm getting ready to change this tank over to sand at some point so maybe it will be a little more comfortable, but for now apparently its happy. It's mantle is an iridescent white color its very pretty.

Fascinating! I've never seen anything like that for fresh water! :)

Fascinating! I've never seen anything like that for fresh water! :)

Me neither! I just happened upon it. They're VERY easy to take care of. You just have to measure their growth every couple of months to make sure they aren't starving. They're better in planted tanks because there is more plant debris floating around for them to eat. And they also take out nitrates!!!! Best animal ever.

Awesome , and with filter feeders you may have to get Invertebrae food and use a turkey baster , because clams can die fairly quickly without some sort of current bringing food to them , I have lost a lot myself do to this issue and when they die it is basically like dumping a bottle of ammonia in the water , but when consistently feed they can live three years or more and also they make tank water clearer but anyways congrats and good luck with your new clam

Awesome , and with filter feeders you may have to get Invertebrae food and use a turkey baster , because clams can die fairly quickly without some sort of current bringing food to them , I have lost a lot myself do to this issue and when they die it is basically like dumping a bottle of ammonia in the water , but when consistently feed they can live three years or more and also they make tank water clearer but anyways congrats and good luck with your new clam

Oh jeez, good to know about when they die. I did know about the invertebrate food. I'll have to get some somewhere. Whenever I clean up the tank particles go EVERYWHERE so hopefully it'll be able to eat then. He's underneath where the filter hits the surface so hopefully that will work. Thanks!

I really wanted to get some. I keep seeing them on EBay but my LFS discouraged me because of the same reasons Gustave mentioned.

Keep posting. I really want to see how he works out for you. Good luck! :D

I thought that I had already posted how cool I thought your clam was, but I think the internet ate it. I'll try again. Lol!

He looks soooooo cool! I hope you can keep him going, because it looks like he's going to be a lot of fun. Can you get a video of him moving?