Presentation on Goldfish

*Amanda*

Hi all,

In 2 days I have to do a presentation at work as part of a "Train the Trainer" course, which involves training techniques. I get to choose the topic, so goldfish it is! I was just curious if you had any ideas for specific topics. The audience members have no experience in goldfish keeping beyond winning them at carnivals and keeping them in bowls as children. However, most of them work in a lab and have a chemistry background (but not all do).

I would like to emphasize how amazing these fish are when kept properly.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Amanda

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I am doing the presentation for all the trainers and management in the Quality Control dept, where I am a supervisor. It's about 15 people total, about 80% lab staff. We have 15 minutes to give a presentation on anything we want - most people are doing it on their favorite hobby. The purpose of this exercise is to help us become better trainers - to present the basics of the topic in a clear, concise, informative and enthusiastic manner.

I was thinking of going over the nitrogen cycle as well as basic goldfish care, but want to pick a few key things to focus on that would help a newbie.

One more thing ... these people are VERY detail-oriented and nitpicky about doing things right - you kind of have to be to work in QC, haha. So the topic should be something I can go over in step-by-step detail without going too much over the 15 min.

Great idea, Herts - stocking levels are so important! Yes, my goal is to educate people on how goldfish keeping SHOULD be done, as opposed to how it's often depicted on TV, etc.

• Supporter

Would you like a photo of my carnival goldfish? She started with a ten gallon tank and seven pals about six years ago. I lost all but three to miseducation and over stocking. Now she's nearly fourteen inches and in a 55 with her two remaining buddies...never had a clue she'd get that big and I'm getting a 75 on payday so she has more room! She's a good example of how large fish get. I would check out Tithras you tube videos and flash of pink videos for inspiration. I learned so much from both of them, from setting up a tank to feeding to getting the right air stones. Don't forget about their personalities! I think that is what makes us keep working so hard to keep them healthy. I think there was a thread about why we like goldfish a few months back and that was the general consensus. People don't believe me until I force them to watch my fish videos! Good luck!

Alex has an awesome idea :P

I think talking about tank size and general set-up would be great! You could even talk about quarantining.

Could you even get into more of the ethical side of fish keeping? I think it's extremely important for people (particularly with fish) to understand that the ability to reason does not necessarily result in a greater potential to suffer, so adding that sort of ethical side to the talk when considering tank size, etc might further emphasise the need for stores to incorporate better fish-keeping- it just helps remove the stigma that fish are decorative disposables and their needs are less important :)

Anyway, that's just my suggestion, so good luck! :)

Edited by Narny105

Thanks everyone! Yes, mermaidkitten, could you post a pic of your carnival fish? Videos are a great idea too - I have one of my fish chasing each other before breeding and it is hilarious, almost cartoon-like. I absolutely will talk about ethics -about doing what's best for the fish, even if it doesn't always seem the most convenient at the time. I say "at the time" because many people buy a small tank and wish they had gone bigger, but nobody wishes they had a smaller tank once they see how happy the fish are. When my fish are happy I'm happy, and when they are stressed I am too!

Oh and of course I will talk about Koko's and how helpful you all are! And about how it is best to always confirm advice from the store before following it; I spent a lot of money before I learned that lesson!

It would be cool to describe the different kinds of goldfish. When people walk in my house, they immediately start asking what type of fish I have. They are always shocked when I tell them they are all goldfish. A lot of people seem to think commons are all there is lol. I know you only have 15 minutes lol, but breeding conditions would be cool too. What a fun project:) I wish I had some people who would listen to me talk about goldfish for 15 minutes...well aside from here lol.

If you're working with a lot of nitpicky, process-oriented types - I would definitely +1 going over the nitrogen cycle, and maybe even talk briefly about how water quality/temp/tank stats can both negatively impact the health of your fish and/or be used to treat some conditions. My boyfriend (a software engineer) and his father (a chemist) snored through most of my gushing about different goldfish breeds, but perked up and were suddenly very interested in my tank levels.

When I do presentations, I generally like to keep more material than I'm going to use - so you can take the temp of the audience and adjust accordingly. That way you can elaborate on whatever they're most interested in.

Either way, what an awesome topic :D

It would be cool to describe the different kinds of goldfish. When people walk in my house, they immediately start asking what type of fish I have. They are always shocked when I tell them they are all goldfish. A lot of people seem to think commons are all there is lol. I know you only have 15 minutes lol, but breeding conditions would be cool too. What a fun project:) I wish I had some people who would listen to me talk about goldfish for 15 minutes...well aside from here lol.

So true ... I remember when I first saw fancy goldfish at my boyfriend's house. I DID NOT believe him when he said they were goldfish! Fast forward two years and now I'm the one who takes care of them! He was keeping 5 in a 10 gallon and wondering why they kept dying because he thought goldfish just don't live very long :-( Now the 3 big tanks we have take up half his bedroom!

So true ... I remember when I first saw fancy goldfish at my boyfriend's house. I DID NOT believe him when he said they were goldfish! Fast forward two years and now I'm the one who takes care of them! He was keeping 5 in a 10 gallon and wondering why they kept dying because he thought goldfish just don't live very long :-( Now the 3 big tanks we have take up half his bedroom!

lol. It's funny how the addiction creeps in! I couldn't fit another tank in my house if I tried. (well, MAYBE one!). My daughter's friend asked me for advice on her goldfish. She has had it in a bowl for 2 years and it is in good shape. I was shocked. I have a tank and filter for her, but sadly, she said her parents won't let her have it. it's just a 25 gallon, but I thought it would help a little...boo.

Five Commandments of Goldfish

1. Establish nitrogen cycle, then keep water clean.

2. Have enough water for each fish.

3. Feed correctly.

4. Always QT new fish. Always.

5. See Commandment 4.

Of course, easy to customize and add details. A fun presentation for you and for the audience!

Break a leg! (as they say) heh heh

Will you presenting via a slideshow like PowerPoint?

It would be cool if you touched base on how intelligent goldfish can actually be. Their funny little antics, feed-me dances, hand feeding etc. etc.

I found a cool video of how you can actually train your goldfish to do tricks. It's pretty cool to watch and will break the ice with your listeners. :)

Good luck on your speech and let us know how it goes!

This is awesome! It feels like there is so much goldfish misinformation that it always makes me happy when there is a chance to change some misconceptions!

You've already had many great suggestions above, and I think the Nitrogen cycle would definitely be of interest to chem people. People are often surprised when they learn how big goldfish can get and how long they can live with proper care, so I think it's worth including this, and you could link it to stocking guidelines and the Nitrogen cycle nicely.

Goldfish learning and memory might be something interesting to discuss! There aren't many articles on goldfish specifically, but there are some on other species of fish, and plenty of youtube videos as Georgia suggested above!

Good luck!