Stupid frakkin' filters. >:-(

pawsplus

This is mostly just a griping post. I am SO TIRED OF FILTERS!!!

I love the Eheim. Right now that's the only filter I DO like.

I had Marineland HOB filters for 10 years. The same filters! They worked great! When one finally died I got another one. It is so far OK.

Then the other old one died. FIrst I got an Aqueon. It lasted a month. In annoyance, I went back to PetStupid and exchanged it for another Marineland Penquin. It also lasted a MONTH. Took it back to PetStupid and got an AquaClear b/c everyone here goes on and on about how awesome they are.

In the meantime, I got a used Rena Filstar to replace the other Marineland (still working, but I figured another canister was better). I spent WEEKS and was never able to get the thing to work. Pulled it off the tank last weekend. Was running on just 2 filters instead of 3, but that was 900 gph on a 90 gal tank, so that should be fine.

Sometime during the last week the AC HOB died (after 2 months <sigh>). Problem is that the darn thing was so quiet that I didn't know it wasn't working!! Did an 80% WC last weekend--it was fine then. I have so much lucky bamboo and pothos in my filters--I guess that's how I didn't realize it wasn't working--until I noticed the fish behaving oddly yesterday. Did an ammonia check and for the first time in 10 years there was ammonia in my tank!!!! I was doing an emergency WC when I realized that the AC wasn't working at all, which explains the ammonia.

Couldn't get it to work so I pulled it off and put the Marineland back on. Didn't have biowheels or proper media for it, but faked it as best I could and the fish are on minimal rations until I get it all sorted out.

But I mean REALLY!?!?!?! After 10 years of NO filter problems, what the heck IS this??? Are they just making crap products now? Am I cursed?

<Grumpety grump grump grump>

Edited by pawsplus

I feel like I've done nothing but spend money on the tank lately, mostly to no effect! And the TIME--OMG. Last night I came in after a hard day working (yes, on Sunday) and I wanted to chill for a few hours. But no--I spent that time changing the water and swapping the filters around. <sigh>

My Aqueon quietflow on my tropical tank recently gave up the ghost completely after basically falling apart for months. Right now it's a huge jury rigged mess, and I ended up taking down the shrimp tank so I could put it's filter on in addition to my backup AC30. There were only about five cherry shrimp left, so the load they added was less important than the extra filtration and plants. Now I just gotta wait for christmas so I can get an AC50.

I hate my HOBs right now. The AC 110 that I have on my oscar tank shuts down all the time. I can get it going with a skewer. Then I have a super loud penguin pro. It is in the basement now but will be moved into the third bedroom in my new house. I don't want it keeping my roommate up all night. That is how loud the thing is, you can hear it in the next room.

I am switching to canisters as soon as I can.

• Supporter

I hate my HOBs right now. The AC 110 that I have on my oscar tank shuts down all the time. I can get it going with a skewer. Then I have a super loud penguin pro. It is in the basement now but will be moved into the third bedroom in my new house. I don't want it keeping my roommate up all night. That is how loud the thing is, you can hear it in the next room.

that's what I'm doing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

that's what I'm doing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I am looking to switch to all Fluvals. I only need to win the lottery first :rofl

Bummer. I too have stretches when I feel like all I do is work on the tank or spend money on it. It's not so fun then. :(

I haven't had problems with my ACs. Did you take it apart and make sure there's nothing in the impeller chamber? Bits of sand or rock? Sometimes I have to poke the impeller to get it to restart, but that's not often.

Maybe your plants are part of the problem. I have 6 HOB filters and none of them give me any trouble. The Aqueon is my favorite so far but I but I have not tried AquaClear yet.

Nope. The roots are nowhere near the impeller. The plants aren't in the way at all.

Bummer. I too have stretches when I feel like all I do is work on the tank or spend money on it. It's not so fun then. :(

I haven't had problems with my ACs. Did you take it apart and make sure there's nothing in the impeller chamber? Bits of sand or rock? Sometimes I have to poke the impeller to get it to restart, but that's not often.

I really have NO idea how to do this. I'm not sure where it's OK to poke and where it's not.

I think I'll eventually just get another Eheim canister. Thing seems to be a workhorse!

In the meantime, the Penguin seems to be doing the job. Ammonia 0 today (and there had to be a little left yesterday after my 80% water change), so the 2 filters seem to be handling things. I'm bummed about the AC as it seemed to a great filter--lots of GPH, lots of room for media. But things should last longer than 2 months!!!

The insert that came with your AC shows all the parts. It's really simple. I remove the motor monthly on mine to clean out the impeller well with a small brush or QTip. It is regular needed maintenance. Especially when I had sand/gravel. Always bits in there! Now it's plant bits and biofilm. LOL

Edited by Red