8 month old

PacificaNZ

Hi folks, I need help my two baby Orandas are about 8 months old. One weighs 4 grams and the other 2 grams. How much should I be feeding them and how often? They have good appetites I feed them 3 times a day (Saki Hikari Pellets and Repashy Soilent Green) Thanks :)

Hi folks, I need help my two baby Orandas are about 8 months old. One weighs 4 grams and the other 2 grams. How much should I be feeding them and how often? They have good appetites I feed them 3 times a day (Saki Hikari Pellets and Repashy Soilent Green) Thanks :)

They are actually quite a bit underweight for that age. Are you definite they are 8 months?

For now, I would feed them 3-6 times a day, each time enough food for them to gobble it up in 1 minute maximum. If you are feeding 3 times a day, do 2 minutes each time.

Try to work in some frozen blood worms and brine shrimp as well. :)

According to the person who sold them to me they were born in March 2013. Having googled 8 month old Orandas I think they are definitely younger I weighed them and they are definitely 4 grams and 2 grams.

According to the person who sold them to me they were born in March 2013. Having googled 8 month old Orandas I think they are definitely younger I weighed them and they are definitely 4 grams and 2 grams.

Well, time to give them a good growth spurt! :rofl

Well, time to give them a good growth spurt! :rofl

Steroids...lol. When I'm done they're gonna be a couple of chubbies.

If you got them from arhw or ls813 on trademe, I really wouldn't believe the date. They just copy and paste the information from one listing to the next and don't check it's all correct.

As for food. My only suggestion would be to add bloodworms to the mix. :D

If you got them from arhw or ls813 on trademe, I really wouldn't believe the date. They just copy and paste the information from one listing to the next and don't check it's all correct.[/size]

As for food. My only suggestion would be to add bloodworms to the mix. :D

Thanks..sounds about right anywho I'm heading to the LPS to pick some frozen bloodworms this week. :)

How long have you had these fish? How big is their tank? How often do you change water and how much do you change?

How did you weigh them and what kind of scale did you use?

Are they the fish pictured in your sig?

How long have I had them? > 7 days

How big is my tank? > 40 g

How often do I do water change? > Once a week water changes. My last water change was on Saturday

How much did I change?> 50%

How did I weigh my fish? > Using a bowl of water on a digital scale

Are they pictured in my Sig?>Yes

Sent using Tapatalk

Edited by PacificaNZ

One more question. Can you estimate the standard (nose to base on tail fin) length of your fish?

Your fish are no longer fry colored, so they are probably at least 3-4 months old. Whether they are young or small from underfeeding, you can expect rapid growth with the good care you are giving them.

Sorry I had a typo which did not make it clear I wanted length without the tail fin. Only the body length is relevant, and without a pure side view, I can't even estimate the body length from the total (including tail) length. Can you give it a guess?

This is just more information about the size/age of your fish.

For the scientifically inclined, here is a paper with a model for predicting weight of common and oranda goldfish from their length.

Thanks. I put that into the formula in the paper I linked to above. It said your fish should be ~ 3.2g and 2.3g, which fits pretty well. So your fish aren't skinny.

I finally noticed your location. I don't know what your winters are like, but where it doesn't get too cold, baby goldfish are usually reared outdoors in cool water. Fish grow more slowly in cooler water. This suggests to me that your fish might actually be 8 months old. If I am right, you should expect very rapid growth in the next several months.

Okay..it's been 4 days since i weighed them maybe they've put on a little more weight definitely looking a bit fuller then when i took these photos. Awesome thanks for your help. I keep a heater on constant 20C I'm satisfied to know my fish are comfortable and healthy.

Edited by PacificaNZ

Thanks. I put that into the formula in the paper I linked to above. It said your fish should be ~ 3.2g and 2.3g, which fits pretty well. So your fish aren't skinny.

I finally noticed your location. I don't know what your winters are like, but where it doesn't get too cold, baby goldfish are usually reared outdoors in cool water. Fish grow more slowly in cooler water. This suggests to me that your fish might actually be 8 months old. If I am right, you should expect very rapid growth in the next several months.

Hi Sharon,

I wasn't saying that the fish are skinny; I was saying that they are small for what I would expect 8 month old fish to be. It may be that it is as you said, that these fish are grown outdoor in cool water, and hence are growing more slowly.

Aw, the pictures of them are cute :) They're going to be beautiful fish.

I have three baby fish that are approximately five months old. They're quite a bit bigger than your baby fish are :unsure: They're about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches without tails, and weigh 8, 11, and 13 grams. They do love their food! :D Their mother is a pearlscale, so they're kind of round little fish, anyway.

Your little fish will probably fatten right up and grow big and happy under your care, I'm sure. Maybe they had trouble getting enough food at their old home? Perhaps there were several bigger fish in that tank that hogged all the food before they could get to it.

Yes. The only way I can see that they are that small and 8 months old is if they were born outside in very cool conditions. My fish is about 10months-1year old and he is about 11 grams.