Is it safe for my cat to drink fish water?

Smurfishy

This cat is like 17 years old. It's starting to lose weight and just recently came down with an upper respiratory infection. The vet thinks the weight loss is due to possible thyroid or kidney issues. I thought maybe high nitrates could be causing the kidney issues? The vet assured me it couldn't be that. I don't trust every trained professional to be 100 percent correct all the time so I'm going to be doing my own research. Any thoughts on this issue? I know my nitrates are sky high due to high nitrites straight from tap.

I'm not a vet, but I'm inclined to agree with yours. My cat has a tendency to want to drink tank water (no idea why when I'm perpetually freshening the critter water bowl). We try to discourage her and she does it less often now, but I've never seen any negative effects. 17 is getting old for a cat and all cats I've known at that age have started to get some weight loss and often other problems too, some minor some major. One thing you might want to do is bring in any chemicals you use to treat the tank just so the vet can double-check that those are OK.

What are your nitrates from your tap? Does the vet not think that is an issue?

My cat drinks from my betta tank all the time. The nitrates are very low in that tank though. We don't see it as an issue unless he goes for the fish.

What are your nitrates from your tap? Does the vet not think that is an issue?

My cat drinks from my betta tank all the time. The nitrates are very low in that tank though. We don't see it as an issue unless he goes for the fish.

I agree with Lori.

While it's most likely not the cause of her current issues, it's still something to be discouraged, given that some amounts of nitrates can begin to be detrimental.

No, the tap has high nitrites. I do not I don't like buying store water due to bpa in plastic and typical low pH of those waters. Acidic water is bad for you and your teeth especially. Yeah, I'm a crunchy hippy. Beyond the high nitrites I have well water which tastes great. I don't quite understand it dnalex might be able to explain but my nitrites are really part of the whole nitrogen count and not specifically nitrites? I don't get it. But my nitrates tend to go to the red to dark red. Really nothing I can do besides a bog filter maybe.

Your kitty needs labwork to diagnose the problem. You can't just guess about these things! Kidney disease can be treated and life significantly extended, and hyperthyroid can be CURED with I-131 treatment.

I can assure you that drinking the fish tank water can cause neither of these issues. I wouldn't allow it, however, for many reasons (just get a top!). But please get the kitty diagnosed and treated!

• Admin

Oh I like to add...

Cats in the outdoors will drink from ponds and such, so I dont think there is a problem with that... but I can say there could be if you have put in lets say coppersafe in the water or some other kind of Med like that..... :o Something to think about.

My cat drinks from puddles, fish ponds, street gutters, waste water buckets, flowerpot saucers, etc. But she has standards. She absolutely will not touch fresh tap water in her dish -- yuck!

Oh I like to add...

Cats in the outdoors will drink from ponds and such, so I dont think there is a problem with that... but I can say there could be if you have put in lets say coppersafe in the water or some other kind of Med like that..... :o Something to think about.

My cat drinks from puddles, fish ponds, street gutters, waste water buckets, flowerpot saucers, etc. But she has standards. She absolutely will not touch fresh tap water in her dish -- yuck!

I'm pretty sure Dash, who sometimes aspires to be a cat haha, drinks from all sorts of disreputable sources when he is outside, like said puddles, buckets etc, and he is totally fine. It is after all their nature.

I just feel funny with aquariums being water bowls, especially because like Koko said, sometimes we treat the tanks with things, it's not so good to make it a habit for them to drink from it. :)

The only reason I can think of that Ebony rejects fresh tap water is that it might smell of chlorine. The problem is that she doesn't drink from her dish even when the water has been sitting for a few days, LOL.

If you were a kitty cat would you want plain water or fish-flavored? :rofl

All kidding aside, Prime is poisonous. Most other declor chemicals are cancer causing. Read the bottles. There is one natural non-toxic one I saw on the shelf but I cant remember the brand.

Edited by sonny.barile

Prime has an extremely low potential to cause harm, and at the recommended dosages there's no real danger associated with it

I don't let any of my animals drink water from the tanks mainly because I do medicate them, and use numerous chemicals other than prime that can cause issues particularly with my cats. My pond is fully available for drinking and so are puddles and everything else natural. I don't medicate the pond other than treat it with prime, so it doesn't concern me at all. My new dog, Harry pretty much only drinks from the pond :)

Edited by Narny105

My co workers cat refuses to drink from tap water unless she puts a few drops of tetra aquasafe in to remove the chlorine. Should she not be doing that? :peeka

The chlorine taste goes away if you just let the water sit out for 24 hours, or they could simply boil the water and put it in the fridge to cool. It's not intended for use on drinking water, and clearly says 'for aquarium-use only' on the bottle. Definitely not ideal on the wallet, but at the correct dose the product breaks down rather quickly and is not hazardous if the cat drinks the water.

I didn't tell her to do it. :peeka but she figured whatever her cat drinks out of outside it has to be better. I'm going to ask her maybe to leave the water sitting out and maybe in the fridge because I know my cats like cold water. :teehee