Clear bubble on my godfish side of the belly

Jenny Jonsson

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

about 60 liters, and ive had the acuarium for about 4 years

* How often do you change the water and how much?

ca 2times in a month (i change ca 25% of the water)

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

today, and i changed 25%

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

1 goldfish and it is ca the size of a golfball

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

goldfishfood once a day

* Any new fish added to the tank?

nope

* Any medications added to the tank?

nope

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

my fish has clear bubblelike things on the side of her belly

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

she has been leing on the bottom of the tank and not been eating for Ca 1-2 weeks. but eats and swims around now.

What is wrong with my fish?

Jenny, do you have the ability to get your water parameters tested and get some photos, please? We really need both your aquarium water and tap water parameters tested to be able to provide safe treatment suggestions. Photos would also help us get a better idea of the problem.

Welcome to Koko's. I'm sorry the circumstances that brought you here are less than happy.

Edited by ChelseaM

A photo will really help, Jenny. Upload to photobucket and then place here.

Water quality may play a bit of a role here. We had our guy in a 60 liter for a year or so and it was hard to keep the parameter in check. He's been great since we found a 144 liter on Finn.

Is there a way you could order online or pick up a drop test kit from a fish store nearby? The water parameters, like I said, are extremely important.

Without them, a treatment can not be suggested. It just isn't safe.

If you can find the API Freshwater Master Kit online or in a fish store, that would be great. The reason I suggest this is because strip tests are notoriously inaccurate.

Edited by ChelseaM

In the mean time you can always start by doing a water change with temp and pH matched water. Do you have gravel? Is it cleaned often? I think you might have a problem with a high organic load in the aquarium. Your fish seems swollen. Good water is always the first step so a water change would really help. Since you just did a 25% I would do another now, cleaning the gravel well. And another tomorrow. See how it goes.

What is the temperature of your tank? When the fish isn't eating, are you removing the uneaten food?

• Supporter

the fish is definitely pineconing. I noticed this from the picture you posted. the bubble sac is an indication that the infection is quite advanced.

A photo will really help, Jenny. Upload to photobucket and then place here.

Water quality may play a bit of a role here. We had our guy in a 60 liter for a year or so and it was hard to keep the parameter in check. He's been great since we found a 144 liter on Finn.

Susanne, do you know of anywhere in Norway where Metronidazole can be obtained? is it only with a Vet's prescription?

the fish will need to be isolated into a hospital tank of minimum 8-10 gallons and treatment will need to commence as soon as possible.

you will need the tank or food safe tub, a heater, an airstone, Epsom salt & Metronidazole. 100% daily water changes are required and considered essential when the infection is so advanced.

Is it really nessisary to do all that? last time i were at the petstore the lady there told me that he probably just was old or something... ive had him for about 6 yars... how long do a goldfish live? :P he's one of those "fantail" goldfish.

I have a fantail who is almost 20.

Helen gave great advice. Dropsy is pretty aggressive but I have successfully treated in in a few of my fish

Goldfish when cared for well can get really old as said above (twenty years! What a trouper! :yikes ) your fish could live much longer if you treat him under Helen's care :) otherwise if you don't decide to treat him he will die of this infection/dropsy in which case I would hope you find clove oil to to help him go peacefully....

I personally believe it's always worth it to treat a loved fish! There is always hope they'll bounce back to love you for a few more years! :D

Good luck! :hug

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Supporter

Is it really nessisary to do all that? last time i were at the petstore the lady there told me that he probably just was old or something... ive had him for about 6 yars... how long do a goldfish live? :P he's one of those "fantail" goldfish.

here you go hun, here is some information and some photo examples for the symptoms that your fish is displaying. this may help you to understand what is happening to your goldfish as well as the treatments required.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/disease-information/dropsy-updated-2012-r330

Jenny,

We can't really get metro here in Norway (although some sellers will ship via ebay). If you are in Sørlandet, the guys at Ynglagård in Arendal might have some medications that have a chance of working but most of what stores sell are methylen blue and that will not help.

Otherwise, I would say to do a complete water change and add epsom at the rates the moderators recommend, hoping for the best.

:(

You obviously know something is wrong with your fish. Waiting until it shows signs of dying before treating it for a very obvious issue is not a good way to go about helping your animal. If you let the problem progress to the stage where the fish is showing signs of weakening, then you risk killing it by treating it while it is very weak.

I think this needs to be nipped in the bum before it gets any worse.

He really seems fine right now. He swims, and is eating normally. But he still has that little bubble on his side. But its much smaller now though.

I remember when Shiro my lionhead got dropsy. At first he was swimming and he was acting fine but it didnt take long before he stopped eating and just bottom sat all day. I think it was Helen and Alex who really helped me in getting him back to health, along with helpful members who sent me some metro meds.

I don't mean to scare you or anything but I don't think he would have made it if I didnt take their advice and act as soon I as saw his scales.

I wish you luck with him and I hope he gets well soon, he is a cutie pie.