Eggs Hatched!

Goldsguy

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So week four and last round of prazipro. Four are still much larger than the others so much so I can now see scales on their bodies and their little fins flapping like hummingbirds at their feeding time.

Ammonia is starting to spike so dosing with Prime daily. My tap as 1ppm but tank registered between 0.25 and 0.50 on Thursday.

I did notice one of the smaller ones bottom sitting but did eat when fed but didn't move around much.

Here are some pics and vid to follow:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

The vid:

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Yeah they go crazy at feeding time. I'm having a feeling that the smaller ones may not be able to grow. The other four bigger ones look awesome and very very active.

I'm rooting for Gary!!!

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Wow they look great! :)

What size tank are they in? I wonder if you could do some sort of divider so the little ones could get more food. :idont

They sure do zip around. :rofl

They are currently in a 5.5 gallon. I usually feed a bit more than I would usually to ensure smaller ones get food too. The smaller ones usually are pretty fast too, just think it may be genetic inability to grow much more. Divider is good idea though.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Well they are now one month old. I had one more small one die Christmas Eve Day. So now left with six. Two are still much smaller but active and eating.

Can't believe the transformation in one month's time.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Looking good! That's too bad about the Christmas Eve day loss. I'm glad to hear everyone else is doing great. Have you changed anything up like temps, water height or food?

I'm afraid to post on my thread because I think it's jinxing me lol. But I have 7 eggs that survived the methylene blue last night and I'm keeping them closer to 75 degrees, so hopefully the shorter incubation time will help with my issues:) The two tanks are still spawning like crazy, but with less eggs. I'm really starting to wonder what is going on...

Looking good! That's too bad about the Christmas Eve day loss. I'm glad to hear everyone else is doing great. Have you changed anything up like temps, water height or food?

?

I'm afraid to post on my thread because I think it's jinxing me lol. But I have 7 eggs that survived the methylene blue last night and I'm keeping them closer to 75 degrees, so hopefully the shorter incubation time will help with my issues:) The two tanks are still spawning like crazy, but with less eggs. I'm really starting to wonder what is going on...

Thanks. Yeah that was a bummer to happen on a festive holiday.

I did turn on the HOB filter that came with the tank. I've also increased the water height to the bottom of output of HOB filter.

Mostly I did that as I had guest staying and fry tank is in guest room so was trying to minimize noise levels. But the four are large enough and the two remaining small ones are big enough to a avoid intake.

I've been dosing Prime daily to avoid ammonia toxicity. Although when I last tested ammonia and nitrite were zero.

I've also started to put a piece of Raphasy into tank which they eat.

They are getting much more sociable with me and have learned I'm the source of food. They come up to front of tank and come to me.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Thanks. Yeah that was a bummer to happen on a festive holiday.

I did turn on the HOB filter that came with the tank. I've also increased the water height to the bottom of output of HOB filter.

Mostly I did that as I had guest staying and fry tank is in guest room so was trying to minimize noise levels. But the four are large enough and the two remaining small ones are big enough to a avoid intake.

I've been dosing Prime daily to avoid ammonia toxicity. Although when I last tested ammonia and nitrite were zero.

I've also started to put a piece of Raphasy into tank which they eat.

They are getting much more sociable with me and have learned I'm the source of food. They come up to front of tank and come to me.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

That's so cute. I was also thinking of starting with some Repashy in a couple of weeks. Great to know they are taking it well. I've raised my tank levels to just above the sponge filter (5.5 gallon tank). I am also dosing Prime everyday. Geez the food gets everywhere. I imagine it's better with the HOB.

Not again?!?!?

Lol was looking at my tank today and noticed more eggs attached to my onion plant.

They appear to be fertilized as they are all clear.

Counted ten or so.

Since I have the other fry one month old I'm not planning on doing another rescue

But since my fish are apparently very fertile I may consider breeding. Lol.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Not again?!?!?

Lol was looking at my tank today and noticed more eggs attached to my onion plant.

They appear to be fertilized as they are all clear.

Counted ten or so.

Since I have the other fry one month old I'm not planning on doing another rescue

But since my fish are apparently very fertile I may consider breeding. Lol.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

haha! Figures. It's so hard to leave them. I just look away when I see any chasing. Do you find there are less eggs now than with the first batch?

Lol yeah part of me wanted to save them, but I didn't look much either.

Seemed there were the same after the buffet I'm sure I missed lol

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

That's hilarious! You are being made into an accidental breeder! :rofl

I know. Too bad I don't stock that I could make $$$ on lol

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

• 2 weeks later...

Well haven't updated in awhile.

I did have one more small one die which leaves me six fry. Two are still significantly smaller than the other four but are eating and active.

For the past several days I've noticed more batches of fertilized eggs in the tank. After my PWC this weekend I was looking at tank and saw two eggs on a plant with the small fry moving inside. However I want to focus on the fry I currently have. Seems if I wish to breed in the future I have cooperative fish lol

Latest vid of fry

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets