General Questions

stiglitz

So right now I have one common/comet goldfish in a 55 gallon tank. He's about 1-1.5 inches long so i can't tell for sure if it's a common or comet. Anyways, currently I'm feeding him Aqueon Goldfish Granules. Five pellets, three times a day. 11am, 4pm, 9pm. I guess my first questions would be , is this a good feeding regimen? Am I feeding too freqently? Is the amount that I'm feeding too much or not enough?

My last question is, when should I start feeding treats? Like seaweed, veggies, Emerald Entrees, etc. In my judgement he seems a bit small for that stuff right now but i could be wrong :P

Edited by stiglitz

Fish do most of their growing in the first few years of their life. If you want it to be big, feed it anything and everything it will eat. Of course with heavy feeding your water will "spoil" more quickly so keep an eye on ammonia and nitrate. With one fish in a 55, you do have a good amount of leeway.

I think that is plenty and you could even add a little more as variety. Fresh greens, seaweed and bloodworms will be welcome and great additions to your little one's diet, as well as maybe switching to a better staple food. Does your LFS carry New Life Spectrum or even Repashy Soilent Green?

I think that is plenty and you could even add a little more as variety. Fresh greens, seaweed and bloodworms will be welcome and great additions to your little one's diet, as well as maybe switching to a better staple food. Does your LFS carry New Life Spectrum or even Repashy Soilent Green?

Alright, I'll probably start feeding more variety next week!

Oh, are the Aqueon pellets not great quality? But yes, my local petco carries NLS! I don't know why I didn't think of buying some for my Goldie, I fed NLS to my African Cichlids and they loved it

Alright, I'll probably start feeding more variety next week!

Oh, are the Aqueon pellets not great quality? But yes, my local petco carries NLS! I don't know why I didn't think of buying some for my Goldie, I fed NLS to my African Cichlids and they loved it

As far as I am aware not many people here use them, which makes me question their quality.

The smallest pellets would be great for your little one. The thera+a formula has garlic, which goldfish can't seem to resist.

• Supporter

Yeah I was also thinking of omega one

The goldfish formula for NLS looks like it's more geared toward fancies rather than commons/comets. Would it still be fine to feed it to mine?

I've not used the goldfish nls I have used the normal small pellets with A and garlic I think... I don't have any right now to check. They should be fine for either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The goldfish formula for NLS looks like it's more geared toward fancies rather than commons/comets. Would it still be fine to feed it to mine?

Perfectly fine. Foods marketed towards fancies (for example, Hikari Lionhead) can be fed to single tailed varieties. :)

Sent from Tapatalk.

Perfectly fine. Foods marketed towards fancies (for example, Hikari Lionhead) can be fed to single tailed varieties. :)

Sent from Tapatalk.

Okay :) Would you recommend Omega One or NLS?

?

Sent from Tapatalk.

?

Okay :) Would you recommend Omega One or NLS?

I've never fed either--only Hikari foods. Both seem to get good reviews on this site though.

Sent from Tapatalk.

I currently feed NLS Thera A, along with many other foods, and the NLS is one of my favorites. I haven't tried the omega one yet but I intend to as I've heard a lot of good things about it.

What kind of spirulina do you have? Frozen? :idont

Welcome to the forum! :)

You've gotten excellent advice. My personal favorite is Hikari Lionhead, but I am also feeding a mix of Omega One, NLS Thera-A, NLS Goldfish, as well as Pro-Gold. These are all premium goldfish food, and will be suitable for any kind of goldfish.

I am also feeding frozen krill, frozen bloodworms, and frozen brine shrimp (regular and spirulina gut-loaded). For even more variety, they also get shrimp pellets, and spirulina flakes (but are really chips).

So right now I have one common/comet goldfish in a 55 gallon tank. He's about 1-1.5 inches long so i can't tell for sure if it's a common or comet. Anyways, currently I'm feeding him Aqueon Goldfish Granules. Five pellets, three times a day. 11am, 4pm, 9pm. I guess my first questions would be , is this a good feeding regimen? Am I feeding too freqently? Is the amount that I'm feeding too much or not enough?

My last question is, when should I start feeding treats? Like seaweed, veggies, Emerald Entrees, etc. In my judgement he seems a bit small for that stuff right now but i could be wrong :P

How much has your fish grown? To me that number of pellets might be OK, but it's time to add more frozen stuff to the mix.

Welcome to the forum! :)

You've gotten excellent advice. My personal favorite is Hikari Lionhead, but I am also feeding a mix of Omega One, NLS Thera-A, NLS Goldfish, as well as Pro-Gold. These are all premium goldfish food, and will be suitable for any kind of goldfish.

I am also feeding frozen krill, frozen bloodworms, and frozen brine shrimp (regular and spirulina gut-loaded). For even more variety, they also get shrimp pellets, and spirulina flakes (but are really chips).

How much has your fish grown? To me that number of pellets might be OK, but it's time to add more frozen stuff to the mix.

Wow! Your goldie(s) must enjoy having you as their owner. Sounds like they're getting the fish equivalent of five course meals :)

I've only had Jaws (finally decided on a name) for three days! I'll be taking pictures and measuring him every Friday; basically keeping a log on him. So I guess we'll find out by Friday how much he has grown if any. He does seem to look like he's gotten a bit fatter since I got him though :)

And as far as treats go, I'm planning on giving him spirulina flakes, fresh greens, omega one seaweed, frozen emerald entree, and frozen bloodworms. I'll probably be soaking the emerald entree and frozen bloodworms in Garlic Guard. He'll be getting these foods only once a week, fed all on different days of course.

Edited by stiglitz