Help me stock my new 53Gal! Keeping my existing fish in mind.

Maybe I will put one group of cory cats, probably the Sterbai with my Discus fish. That way I have place for an angel or ram.

Yea, I figured the one inch rule was silly.

Okay, I did notice the mollies are major poop machines. The kuhlis are pretty thin and small for now, but I can see the corys also becoming pretty high bio load.

I do have quite a lot of live plants and have 20 coming for the new tank! I will see how that works. I also have a large canister filter from the goldfish. And an extra filter which came now with the larger tank.

I am thinking of seeing how the parameters change weekly to see how it is stocked. Seems like the most practical thing. If the tank needs water changes every few days I am overstocked. I want to keep it to a weekly water change without having a ton of cleaning to do. Is that okay?

Yes I think that sounds like a good idea!!! :) more plants the merrier. And if you don't have any problems, you could do an angel (maybe) or a small school of rasboras/tetras

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Today I went to a tropical specialized fish store and almost died! I saw some fish I really loved! Will post pics after. About the angels, do they do fine with a ph of 7+? They have lovely ones with orange faces or black one with very lovely fins

• Supporter

Today I went to a tropical specialized fish store and almost died! I saw some fish I really loved! Will post pics after. About the angels, do they do fine with a ph of 7+? They have lovely ones with orange faces or black one with very lovely fins

mine are in 7.2-7.4 water and doing fine. Its recommendations are lower I think though. But as long as its not too high and stable I'd think you would be ok.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That's what I thought. also because the store has similar params than me.

I am thinking I will add a few fish and as time goes by and everyone grows I will put the mollies back in the 30Gal (with a new stand) and move some of the corys with my discus. Or something like that! I have some wiggle room with 200Gals + 30Gals + 50. Just don't want to run all 3 now because the 30Gal has no stand. And for now they are all rather tiny.

Some of the fish I saw which were cool:

This one was the coolest ever! He looked like an american indian fish! He is apparently an Apistogramma Macmasteri. If he is compatible with my tank I so would like one!

IMG_0069_zps6ab98c2e.jpg

IMG_0070_zpsb8c5ca8d.jpg

They had silver hatchets. Brilliant! But my mollies spend a lot of time on top. Plus I also think these fish are for lower pH. Not sure tho.

IMG_0072_zps1c2ca422.jpg

These guys were also very cool! Didn't get their name but some sort of tetras? They also fit the Indian theme lol.

IMG_0071_zps9683fd95.jpg

Also saw some rummy nose that were very cool. Not sure if they get too big to be my 'schooling fish'. And saw the fully grown sterbai corys so now I know why you guys say I am good with stocking! Those guys were big enough to eat my current corys lol. I hope they grow well.

And these 2 just for fun. Now hubby wants a salt water tank because my hobby is 'lame' and salt water fish instead of 'amazing'. The large puffer was the size of a soccer ball!

IMG_0073_zps02f0f223.jpg

IMG_0074_zps77035676.jpg

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

That's what I thought. also because the store has similar params than me.

I am thinking I will add a few fish and as time goes by and everyone grows I will put the mollies back in the 30Gal (with a new stand) and move some of the corys with my discus. Or something like that! I have some wiggle room with 200Gals + 30Gals + 50. Just don't want to run all 3 now because the 30Gal has no stand. And for now they are all rather tiny.

Some of the fish I saw which were cool:

This one was the coolest ever! He looked like an american indian fish! He is apparently an Apistogramma Macmasteri. If he is compatible with my tank I so would like one!

IMG_0069_zps6ab98c2e.jpgIMG_0070_zpsb8c5ca8d.jpg

They had silver hatchets. Brilliant! But my mollies spend a lot of time on top. Plus I also think these fish are for lower pH. Not sure tho.

IMG_0072_zps1c2ca422.jpg

These guys were also very cool! Didn't get their name but some sort of tetras? They also fit the Indian theme lol.

IMG_0071_zps9683fd95.jpg

Also saw some rummy nose that were very cool. Not sure if they get too big to be my 'schooling fish'. And saw the fully grown sterbai corys so now I know why you guys say I am good with stocking! Those guys were big enough to eat my current corys lol. I hope they grow well.

And these 2 just for fun. Now hubby wants a salt water tank because my hobby is 'lame' and salt water fish instead of 'amazing'. The large puffer was the size of a soccer ball!

IMG_0073_zps02f0f223.jpgIMG_0074_zps77035676.jpg

The orange faced angels sound like koi angels which are awesome!!! :)

Your dwarf cichlid you like would make a great community fish :)

Hatchet fish are one of my favorites!!! :) they make great top dwellers.

Those look like serpae tetras. Which, if I'm correct, are very very very nippy fish and do not do well with long finned angels or mollies. Most people just keep them in groups by themselves or in huge groups with big fish. The one in the back with the curly dorsal fin looks like a bleeding heart tetra. :P

In my opinion I think rummy nose would be great! They get about 2 inches but remember, have a very small bioload. They're another one of my favorites!!!

Edited by scurrie

Lol Alex! It's funny because before I was totally goldfish obsessed and didn't even LOOK at tropicals in the stores! Pity because some are really very gorgeous fish! And they have more character than I expected! I didn't think I would be able to tell the schooling fish apart but some have very different personalities than others.

I can't wait to get the discus for the 200! I think around thanksgiving I will start setting it up with gravel, plants and driftwood and see. For now it's just running empty with the cycle lol!

Thanks for all the help scurrie! I swear, that fish store had soooo many varieties I was like WOW! They even had albino plecos which I think are really cool, but after seeing them 'in real' I realize they have a slightly yellow tone to them. My albino corys are cooler because they are really very white lol.

There is a nice Apistogramma page on Face for specific information about species (particularly ones commonly in trade in Europe).

My older son has a small tropical tank and it is really fun to see. His Japanese blue endlers are also nice but I think they occupy the same niche as your mollies.

One angel should be ok. It well also help with those baby machines you have in the tank. lol I would go with some of the larger tetra's. Cause angels do and will eat stuff that can fit in their mouth. So something like neon's might be a meal later on. Bleeding hearts or something like that still smallish but to wide to fit in an angels mouth.

I have one angel, three upside down cats, couple BN plecos, some ottos (they hide I had 4 at one time but never see more then 2 at a time these days Not getting anymore..) I also have 3 rainbow fish. Keep planning to get two more but have not done it yet. They can get about 4 inches. So I don't really have anything small except the ottos in my tropical tank.

My tank is thickly planted and getting fuller by the day little fish just get lost. lol

I love rainbow fish, I saw some fully grown ones at the fish store and they are HUGE! Beautiful, with a little bump on their backs.

I almost had a heart attack before as it seemed the pleco had ick! However, after obsessive observation it seems the very fine sand is getting stick in his rough scales when he forages. Once he was up cleaning the plants most went away immediately.

ANYWAYS! For future reference, how are the kuhlis, corys and pleco with salt? I know that mollys really like it.

I almost had a heart attack before as it seemed the pleco had ick! However, after obsessive observation it seems the very fine sand is getting stick in his rough scales when he forages. Once he was up cleaning the plants most went away immediately.

ANYWAYS! For future reference, how are the kuhlis, corys and pleco with salt? I know that mollys really like it.

Well, your cories and kuhlies aren't gonna like more then VERY little amounts of salt. But your plants are going to hate it even more :P

And ps; they're right about rummy nose. They are very very sensitive. But if you have a good tank going with lots of plants and hiding spots you shouldn't have too much of a problem. They are like barometers, their noses fade when the water isn't good or when they're sleeping. You can kind of gauge off from that whether they'll do okay. I have a school in one of my planted tanks that do very well :)

Edited by scurrie

Thanks for all the help scurrie! I swear, that fish store had soooo many varieties I was like WOW! They even had albino plecos which I think are really cool, but after seeing them 'in real' I realize they have a slightly yellow tone to them. My albino corys are cooler because they are really very white lol.

No problem!!! Out of my 9 tanks, only one is goldfish :P I reaaaallly love my tropical fish. They're what I'm best at :) :)

I keep reading no salt for scaleless fish like plecos, catfish and loaches.

They can withstand very little amounts, less than 1% salt. It won't kill them. However, it's not beneficial to them.

My sterbai corys are in a major growth spurt rofl!

I took a video I will post soon. I even caught my two male mollys fighting. Feist little fish those!

No need to salt unless the fish are sick. Then you have to do it at a lot less then normal.

This is was asked in reference to ich.

Fede, for tropicals, just crank the temp up to 87-88 degrees, and that should kill all the ich, without need for treatments.

Oh cool thanks Alex! Good to know. Thankfully I really don't think it was ich. He is all clear now. Trying to get some videos up but obviously I forgot my youtube password! So useless lol.