Sign in to follow this  
LadyK

Fluval canister filter - when to clean

So I have been running my fluval 406 canister filter for about two weeks now, I was just wondering when you should change the large sponge pad part and the carbon. It says every month but I am assuming that's more for other freshwater fish not goldfish. I've also read you don't really have to change the ceramic rings ever unless they are damaged, which makes sense.

But anyone have any times on when to change the other media? :rolleyes:

The sponge I would rinse with hot water every month or so. I would remove the carbon altogether and replace it with more mechanical and/or biological filtration, whichever one you feel you could use more of. The ceramic rings don't need to be replaced however I would swish them around in a bucket of tank water every couple of months.

It will all depend on your stocking levels, of course, and what other filtration you have. I'd start there and adjust as needed. :D

When I say sponge I mean the three large foam spongy blocks that take up like half the canister. I would think they get superrrr dirty within a month, you think just rinsing in warm water would do the trick? I am open to removing the carbon what kind of mechanical or biological filtration do you think is best?

Technically my tank is overstocked I have 3 little ones in a 45 g tank (when the stocking limits were 20g then 10g for each additional lol)

But like I said they are little with lots of room and I will most likely upgrade to a larger tank long before they grow too big for it!

I also run an aqueon 50g HOB filter with the carbon cartridges...I tried using different media instead of the carbon on that in the past but it didn't work out well because there is not a lot of room for media in that particular HOB because it's so shallow. I'm basically waiting till I run out of the cartridges and then just get a second canister lol :P

You could pop the canister open soon and see how dirty they are. For the most part, the mechanical filtration doesn't need to be replaced until its falling apart/no longer cleaning well. You'll be able to tell when that is. I typically use my filter cartridges (in my HOBs) for at least a couple of months. When I had a canister, they lasted even longer in that.

I used this in my canister for biological filtration:

http://www.marineandreef.com/Fluval_Prefilter_Media_Hagen_p/rhg11470.htm

Many members here also like BioMax for biological filtration. Keep in mind with the carbon in your HOB that you'll want to replace that every few weeks. :D

I clean out my canister filter thoroughly every 6 months, and rinse the sponges every 2 months or so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I haven't checked how dirty it is yet! lol I am doing a water change tomorrow so I will check then, but I've never had a canister filter before so I assumed those large foam blocks were going to get super gunked up like the HOB cartridges do eventually ha I do have ceramic rings like that now in one of the four baskets. I believe it's a different foam block in the bottom basket then carbon then the rings then carbon again. So did you mean having all four baskets filled with rings?

Sweet! I am excited to only have to rinse off the media lol when you said hot water for the large sponge does that mean tap water is okay for just that piece?

and yes I change the HOB cartridges every two weeks ;) I think I literally have a years worth left

I use tap water for my mechanical filtration as it shouldn't be housing a majority of your BBs and tank water to swish the biomedia. When you do one or both, make sure to keep your eye on your parameters in case of a cycle bump.

I would do a tray or two of mechanical filtration and then the rest for biological. You want the water from the tank to flow through mechanical first, then biological then back to the tank. :)

Gotcha! will do

The ceramic rings are biological correct? So would two baskets with a bio foam blocks and the other two with ceramic rings work?

Ooh thanks for the placement tip :)

Yep ceramic rings are biological and 2 baskets of each would work fine. :)

Awesome! Do you know why or how it works better than using carbon? just wondering

Carbon is chemical filtration. It removes impurities or medications from your water. But since we do such large frequent WCs with goldies, carbon isn't needed on a regular basis. Some people will use it if their tank is cloudy for some reason or after treating with medications but I prefer just doing a couple of large WCs. :)

Ahhh gotcha well my water is a little cloudy from what I suspect is a bacteria bloom, does look like it is clearing up though so maybe I should wait until it's all clear before I take out the carbon then? Glad I know more about it now :P

I clean out my canister filter thoroughly every 6 months, and rinse the sponges every 2 months or so.

Same here. I have a 306 and it rarely "gunks" up and that is with three goldies and a pleco. I have cleaned it twice since setting it up and it was less dirty than my HOBs would be after a week.

Same here. I have a 306 and it rarely "gunks" up and that is with three goldies and a pleco. I have cleaned it twice since setting it up and it was less dirty than my HOBs would be after a week.

That sounds amazing lol now I can't wait to get my second canister ;)