Calico Chu - a superficial bacteria surface infection

Helen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

What a sweet baby! Thank you for sharing this, Helen.

thank you Chelsea :)

Glad to hear that your fish is recovering.

"big thank you & happy dance for Uncle Alex and all his wonderful knowledge & guidance. an absolute asset to this community"

Agreed, Helen.

We can also include you and all the moderators in that group.

You guys are all Rock Stars.

:)

aww Mike, you're such a wonderful friend. thank you for your kind words, always :heart

Thanks for sharing, Helen. It's nice to see how calmly and quickly you handled the situation and how you didn't panic as I know I would have done! :crazy: I'm going to make you my roll model ! :thumbs:

haha! I still have a looong way to go! but that's the beauty of this site, we're always learning :)

You are amazing! Let some others said....I most likely would have freaked out & not had a clue what to do!! You methodically went about taking care of this fish while gathering what infor you needed! Kudos to you & good health to your beautiful Chu!!!

I did my freaking out, initially.. although, I must admit, it's only because of this site which has helped me to understand that most problems can be fixed and even if they can't, we will give it our best shot. our community of friends built here is truly amazing. unconditional help, support & friendship is what assists in keeping situations like this calm. freaking out causes delays. I am happy that I gain the opportunity to spend about an hour with my fish daily & I can notice slight differences in them almost immediately. I am one to value second opinions, even if the first opinion is my own, the second is more valuable to me. having friends here from all over the world means there is always someone that can help at any given time of the day :heart

• Supporter

WOW.. Awesome Work you guys... :thumbs:

thank you Koko :heart without you, we wouldn't have this :heart :heart

I'm happy to hear you guys were able to nip it in the bud! Alex certainly is very helpful, and so are you! These kinds of threads are also very good for others to read and learn from. They're clearly organized with good pictures and you stated what treatment was. Maybe this should be pinned?

thank you PSP, I admire your sound knowledge in this hobby of ours, your words mean a lot to me :heart

That s crazy to me how fast in spread, but then how fast it healed! Great job Helen and Alex :D

thanks Haley :bighug

Wow! :( How awful.

You were quick to notice, treat, and heal.

I hope your fish is doing better each hour. It is amazing how fast he's healing.

:hug Great Job Helen

thank you Cheryl :heart

• Supporter

What a super cute chu! I'm so glad that he's feeling better. This has been an interesting read.

:D I hope it provides much needed education on wen matters - it's an area that is constantly being explored :)

Glad to see everything is going well :) wishing a speedy recovery

thank you :bighug

He is adorable. Glad he is doing well.

thank you Heidi :)

So glad for the speedy recovery! He is such a cutie :)

Molly! thank you, hun :heart

• Supporter

Glad you could begin treatment so quickly!

And dang, what an adorable fish! <3 <3 <3

thanks hun :heart

Day 4

today's update. the blood in the affected areas has disappeared. the biggest site (which was the last noted spot on the left) has cleared up really well. there is no blood and no fluffies can be seen. the right side has no blood either, but I still see a few white cottony strands from it. so we will spend a few more days in QT. I will only put him back in the main tank when the white side looks just as clean as the left. from this point forward, I see no more healing that needs to be done and he just needs to regrow wen to fill the areas that was affected by the bacteria :)

he is still receiving 1 - 2 100% daily water changes and is still on the Tri-Sulfa and in addition, Metronidazole. that's straight into the tank water. foods are normal.

here's a pic:

Dsc_5089a_zps8702a092.jpg

Oh Helen I was worried for a minute when I first saw this thread :o But you and Alex tackled this problem systematically and very fast :thumbs: Good on you :happydance: And the photos in this thread are incredible :o Thanks for sharing :nana I'm happy Mr Calico Chu is healing quickly :heart

• Supporter

Oh Helen I was worried for a minute when I first saw this thread :o But you and Alex tackled this problem systematically and very fast :thumbs: Good on you :happydance: And the photos in this thread are incredible :o Thanks for sharing :nana I'm happy Mr Calico Chu is healing quickly :heart

thanks hun :heart

• Supporter

This is a testiment to the power of this wonderful forum!! What a great team effort with a perfect outcome!!

thank you Jeana :) still a long way to go. I won't consider this over until the last of the fluffies are gone. hopefully soon and then I will be watching for possible relapses or wen regrowth, like a hawk! but he will be in the main tank for that :)

• Supporter

all fluffies seem to have disappeared :)

I will WC the main tank tonight, and then inspect Mr CC thoroughly. if I am happy for him to part with meds, I will add him back to the main tank this evening and take a video for you all to see :)

Hi Helen, I'm glad your fish looks better and is doing better. :)

I hope this isn't out of line but I'd like to give my suggestion even though I'm not a Mod. I think I would be tempted to keep Mr.CC in the qt tank for at least 10 days using the Metronidazole. This is the medicine I was talking about in my open communication hole in wen/head topic. It's just my opinion. :)

• Supporter

Hi Helen, I'm glad your fish looks better and is doing better. :)

I hope this isn't out of line but I'd like to give my suggestion even though I'm not a Mod. I think I would be tempted to keep Mr.CC in the qt tank for at least 10 days using the Metronidazole. This is the medicine I was talking about in my open communication hole in wen/head topic. It's just my opinion. :)

thank you Cheryl, I appreciate your opinion :)

• Supporter

I would like to thank everyone for your wonderful support. a few days ago Mr CC showed no signs of blood, no signs of fuzzies.. good signs of healing :) this morning, I saw new wen growth appearing from all 3 affected sites. so, I have stopped the medicines and added him to the main tank. he seems to be doing really well, he's been in there for most of the day and I am regularly checking him. I don't feel there will be any relapse. QT and all it's equipment has been sterilized. I won't pack it up right away just in case, but I feel fairly confident given the superficialness of it all that I won't be seeing any relapses. we are happy :)

I'm so happy to hear that he's doing well! :hug

Such an adorable little face. :wub:

Edited by Chai