Calico Chu - a superficial bacteria surface infection

Helen

• Supporter

Hi friends :)

3 days ago I noticed a small white fluff on my ranchu's wen. I thought it might have not been anything since I had just treated with powder prazi & it may have been a prazi granule since they do not fully dissolve (that I have noticed). so.. I checked back a few hours later and the spot had become bigger and fluffy. when I removed him from the tank, the fluffy fell out and a shallow hole with surface blood at the opening was observed:

DSC_4772_zps9a97ff5c.jpg

in setting up QT, which only took about a half hour or 40 mins, another site appeared, just below that one and closer to the eye once I noticed this, I contacted dnalex for his opinion and waited a reply:

9_zps6b49443c.jpg

about another 4 hours passed where I saw another site forming on the left that looked bigger than the one on the right, alex had responded, QT was up and we were ready to treat.. here's the left side site:

3_zps07b8aaf4.jpg

we both agreed, it was nothing more serious than a superficial bacteria forming a surface infection. and so we agreed to commence treatment with Tri-Sulfa (if anyone in AU needs this medicine, please PM me, I have plenty :) ) as well as some Metronidazole added to the water.

tri-sulfa_zps42b27f1a.jpg

the following morning, I checked on Mr. CC and the left site was looked worse but from how Alex explained it to me, it shows all the good signs of healing :) in this photo, you can see that both sites on the right have already taken to healing well.

4_zps77f78a22.jpg

this is an interesting photo, you will see how the fluffies just come away from the wound as a long cotton string. they trail the fish round and round the tank until they fall off:

5_zps91f42ac3.jpg

I microscoped the cotton like strand to see if there was anything moving.. all I observed were lots of fibres and nothing more:

chumatter_zps491f7b0f.jpg

this is ending day 3.. there are no new sites that have presented and the healing process seems to be speedy :)

about 15 hours ago:

7_zps30bac708.jpg

about 5 hours ago:

8_zps0aab255c.jpg

and a big thank you & happy dance for Uncle Alex and all his wonderful knowledge & guidance. an absolute asset to this community. Thank You my friend :)

wellnesshappydance_zps07062dc8.jpg

we still have a few more days to a week or even more, depending on what pace the finer detail takes to heal.. overall, we're very happy :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

Whew! When I saw this I was all :scared and :yikes and :please no ulcer for that gorgeous fish!

I'm so glad to see he's recovering so quickly. Nice work. :clapping:

(Gosh. That face. :wub: )

thanks Lisa! I am very happy with his progress too! yes, he's a cutiepie :wub:

I'm glad he's doing well, Helen!

It's quite amazing the lengths you've gone through to secure the health of your fish! :)

Alex, you are too kind, thank you for all your help & friendship :bighug

• Supporter

Glad your chu is on the mend.. great that you spotted it so soon :)

thank you! he looks better again now. the site on the left seems less angry and the blood on the right has almost disappeared :)

Great job you two!!! I'm so glad he is getting better, Helen!!

thanks Mikey :bighug

That last photo is great! It made me laugh :D I'm glad little chu is doing better I always hate seeing these threads

haha, he's a bundle of joy!! thank you :)

Amazing! Maybe it's the way it was written (of course, knowing things were healing) but you are the perfect example of taking these things calmly and safely, one step at a time. Surely something many of us here can work on. :rofl

Very happy to see he's doing well. Love that last picture of him in your initial post. :)

• Supporter

Amazing! Maybe it's the way it was written (of course, knowing things were healing) but you are the perfect example of taking these things calmly and safely, one step at a time. Surely something many of us here can work on. :rofl

Very happy to see he's doing well. Love that last picture of him in your initial post. :)

thank you for your kind words :heart

Glad to hear that your fish is recovering.

"big thank you & happy dance for Uncle Alex and all his wonderful knowledge & guidance. an absolute asset to this community"

Agreed, Helen.

We can also include you and all the moderators in that group.

You guys are all Rock Stars.

:)

You are amazing! Let some others said....I most likely would have freaked out & not had a clue what to do!! You methodically went about taking care of this fish while gathering what infor you needed! Kudos to you & good health to your beautiful Chu!!!

I'm happy to hear you guys were able to nip it in the bud! Alex certainly is very helpful, and so are you! These kinds of threads are also very good for others to read and learn from. They're clearly organized with good pictures and you stated what treatment was. Maybe this should be pinned?

I'm happy to hear you guys were able to nip it in the bud! Alex certainly is very helpful, and so are you! These kinds of threads are also very good for others to read and learn from. They're clearly organized with good pictures and you stated what treatment was. Maybe this should be pinned?

It's already pinned. :o

:rofl

It's already pinned. :o

:rofl

Do'h I didn't even think to look (I'm on tapatalk)