ARGULUS,fish lice on new redcaps

mikroll

ARGULUS,fish lice, have appeared on all 7 new redcaps oranda after 13th day of QT. these horrible beast are seen a dark circle shadows on fins. there were no signs when purchased so they hatched and became visible after 13 days. Only indication was some small white puff balls ,eggs?, on some fish. APO party was held (argulus pick off) to remove the critters. QT,QT always. fish and tank are being treated for argulus and wounds, infection etc.

P1120434_zps7f338a38.jpg

th_P1120453_zpsc98e3e32.jpg

th_P1120451_zps1802b672.jpg

P1120435_zps563c2698.jpg

P1120438_zpsfd69f8b5.jpg

• Supporter

very cute redcaps Michael :)

yes, Louse can be very difficult to spot. but I don't think they would have grown that size in 13 days. hatchlings are mostly transparent with only their tiny black eyes visible so perhaps there were infant louse that went unnoticed?, that is, if we are talking the usual green louse we frequently see on the forum..

also, our standard QT of salt and prazi does not help to kill the louse. as you experienced, the 'APO' needs to take place every time one is noticed :)

Gross!! Thanks for the reminder to QT! Your new fish are cuties. :)

Hi Shawneeriver, thanks and yes I too think they are cute . My fleet of red caps are aging and have begun to die off from old age with loss of vitality so I have to begin over with tese young things. but oh what a pain when we have to start with store bought ones full of parasites! Seems to me that you also have a fleet of new fishy babys? Oh look close at upper right corner of picture number 3.

In my experience a strong salt dip will really weaken them. Lice are a pain, and majorly gross.

Hi Psp, Interesting experience as I have strong salt dip in my QT protocol .

I use flubex ( picture 3 to fight them and of course pickoff.)

very cute redcaps Michael :)

yes, Louse can be very difficult to spot. but I don't think they would have grown that size in 13 days. hatchlings are mostly transparent with only their tiny black eyes visible so perhaps there were infant louse that went unnoticed?, that is, if we are talking the usual green louse we frequently see on the forum..

also, our standard QT of salt and prazi does not help to kill the louse. as you experienced, the 'APO' needs to take place every time one is noticed :)

Hello Hellen and thank you too.

I agree with you they are very difficult to spot. and now that i research(Ufl) the life cycle a little seems that they came from source China and with a moult rate at every 3 days are right on track.

also My QT normal does not include treatment for this parasite but they are now being treated, note picture number 4.

I didn't even know such thing existed till the other day when I saw one on my 2-3wk newly bought oranda - a scary sight at first when you realise there's something on them which is moving every night to a different position and has eyes - completely agreed about being vigilant now for such things!

I didn't even know such thing existed till the other day when I saw one on my 2-3wk newly bought oranda - a scary sight at first when you realise there's something on them which is moving every night to a different position and has eyes - completely agreed about being vigilant now for such things!

Hi lillypetal, yes they are terrible beasts and I thought that as the exporter in China is a very very big shipper world wide that we will now see a rash of this parasite , and so we warn all to beware for anyone buying store bought oranda now.

What a great looking group! (The orandas, not the lice :o )

I hope you got them all and more don't appear. :D

Hi fantailfan1 and thanks. yes i also hope i got them. but they now alsohave treatment specific for Argulus so that should help and as gills on some are also heavy with damages are being treated for the after effects . that is infections. so perhaps i will not loose to many.

Gross!! Thanks for the reminder to QT! Your new fish are cuties. :)

Hi Shawneeriver, thanks and yes I too think they are cute . My fleet of red caps are aging and have begun to die off from old age with loss of vitality so I have to begin over with tese young things. but oh what a pain when we have to start with store bought ones full of parasites! Seems to me that you also have a fleet of new fishy babys? Oh look close at upper right corner of picture number 3.

Yay, I see the turtle!! :clapping::heart