Sign in to follow this  
the.koi.maiden

Floaty Oranda

She is still upright even after eating the food that seemed to cause all of this! So when can I start adding a little more water to her tank?

How long has it been at this water level? I think you can definitely raise one inch of water.

Keep in mind that slow and steady is best, because we are helping her to get used to increasing depths. Also, if there is a set back, we take a step back.

You are doing a fantastic job! :)

So now that the relatives are gone and the food finished, I have a minute to sit down and do fish stuff. Waddles is still doing wonderful! No flips! Eats like a pig. She still seems to gravitate towards the top when she is resting. I've given her an extra inch of water. How do I address the next steps? Add an inch a week until she is at the full 20 gallons?

I'm so glad to hear that Waddles continue to do well. One inch per week is a reasonable goal, although you may need to go with 1/2 inch per week, depending on how she responds. :)

Fins crossed for you guys!

Waddles is still doing great!! She's upright and happy as a lark. I've also noticed her deeper in the water column a bit more! Just wanted to give everyone an uplifting update! :)

Waddles is still doing great!! She's upright and happy as a lark. I've also noticed her deeper in the water column a bit more! Just wanted to give everyone an uplifting update! :)

Yay! This is so awesome, Izzy! How much of a water depth is she able to handle?

She is in about 11 cm of water right now. And today I noticed her swimming/floating in the middle of the water column! She doesn't appear to be stuck to the surface anymore!

That is so awesome! Keep up the fantastic work! :)

I'm absolutely loving reading this thread :) I hope Waddles continues to improve, you're doing great!

Hey guys. I'm sorry I've been so absent these past two months. December is an incredibly busy time for me. After months of progress Waddles is slipping back again. I had gotten the water up to 15 cm deep. Tonight when I went to feed her, she was sitting on the bottom on her side. She swims just fine, but it appears when she stops swimming and sinks, she flips on her side. She's still eating well, tho. I've lowered the water a bit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. She's such a tough girl.

Hi Izzy,

I hope you had a great Christmas and New Year. :)

Unfortunately, what you describe is a typical progression of losing SB functions. Eventually, she is going to not be able to get much flotation and swim. Nevertheless, she can still have a very good quality of life, and you are helping her to do so. :hug

Thanks, Alex. I did have a good time with friends and family.

I can handle losing function of her swim bladder if it means I get to keep her for a little while longer. So now the big question is will she ever be able to return to the main tank like this?

I don't see why not, as long as the other fish don't pick on her. :)

Some people do elect to keep their SB-damaged fish separate, but I think this is an area where there is no hard and fast rule.

I'm sorry to hear that the SB-damage is getting worse. :( I know that your fish will still enjoy life with you! You are a great fishy mommy! :)

I don't know what I expected given her treatment earlier in life, but I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise. In her current state, lying on her side in the aquarium unless sometimes comes by to rouse her, I wouldn't put her back in the main tank.

It's a longshot, but I've seen "life jackets" put on goldfish to keep them floating and upright. Would it be worth it to try to make one of those for Waddles? I do have clove oil that I could sedate her with as to cause as little harm as possible.

I don't know what I expected given her treatment earlier in life, but I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise. In her current state, lying on her side in the aquarium unless sometimes comes by to rouse her, I wouldn't put her back in the main tank.

It's a longshot, but I've seen "life jackets" put on goldfish to keep them floating and upright. Would it be worth it to try to make one of those for Waddles? I do have clove oil that I could sedate her with as to cause as little harm as possible.

The problem with all of these prosthetics is that in order for them to remain on the fish, they have to be fastened tightly. This chafes their skin interferes with the slime coat (this last part is my presumption). What happens then is the skin getting infected, and bigger issues arise.

I really hate it that all these people who purport to help their fish with these devices never come forward later to also loudly what a bad idea that was. They just let the general public, and other goldfish lovers, think that this is the way to go, only to find out the terrible consequences later.

To me, that's really irresponsible, and quite upsetting actually. :(

Wow. That is really upsetting. I guess that is why we never hear a follow-up with those goldfish. Scratching that plan. Waddles will stay in the 20 gal alone.

So what is the easiest way to maintain a goldfish in a 20 gal tank? I've only ever had mine in the 55 gal.

Also any more tips for dealing with a tispy, bottom-sitting goldfish?

I think in these cases, a barebottom tank works best and the bottom will require regular scrub downs. Maintenance is the same...you do at least once weekly WC...for feeding, err on the side of caution. She doesn't really need to gain weight. I think if you just maintain her size at the moment, it will be best. :)

Okay. There has actually been a filter in her tank for a while now. When I took down my betta tank after the last one died, I put the sponge filter in Waddle's 20 gal. So I'll fill up the 20 gal the rest of the way and scrub that bottom. It's getting kinda brown. I typically feed them 2-4 times a day, so I'll knock it down to just one for Waddles. We'll see how long she holds up like this. Thanks again for everything, Alex and everyone else who has helped me.

The sponge filter I think will work very well here, although other types of filters should also be fine. :)

Again. Thank you all for the immense amount of help you've given me. I couldn't have done it without you. Waddles is dead now. I found her last Thursday. All the love and care in the world couldn't undo the damage done by her first home. I just wish I was a better artist or something. I feel there is a lesson that the world can learn from this, but I just don't know how to draw it.

Again. Thank you all for the immense amount of help you've given me. I couldn't have done it without you. Waddles is dead now. I found her last Thursday. All the love and care in the world couldn't undo the damage done by her first home. I just wish I was a better artist or something. I feel there is a lesson that the world can learn from this, but I just don't know how to draw it.

I'm so very sorry. :(

I think a lesson here, at least for me, is that there always are some amazingly caring people out there who will go above and beyond to care for the things that they love, irrespective of potential outcome.

I'm sorry for you loss of Waddles. I agree with Alex's lesson. Waddles was most fortunate to have had you in her life!

So sorry to heat! Waddles was a cutie. Ypy gave her a great home for her last days.:'(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk