Floaty Oranda

I got your email, Jenna. Thank you so much!!

Should the other goldfish in the tank get it, too, tho? They aren't showing signs, but I thought that's how it was. You treat one, you treat them all.

not with metro meds. Only use it when told to do so. If it is not needed, it can hurt the fish's kidneys I believe and the fish will also build up a stronger immune to it and if it really is ever needed, it may not work/ may not work quick enough.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow. I did not know that. With that in mind I've separated Waddles in a compartment of the 55 gal. She's a very slow eater (even before she was sick), so the boys would often gobble up her food before she could get to it. Any other tips for feeding?

PS. Thanks to an awesome Jenna, the metro-meds are on their way!

When I woke up this morning, I honestly thought Waddles was dead. She can no longer hold herself upright which is a drastic change from last night. She ate really heartily and seemed to be much more interactive then. Is there anything I can do with what I currently have while I wait for the Metro-meds? I have salt and prazi and Medi-gold.

Aww thank you. I do love my chubby Waddler. She wasn't named by me, but the name was just too cute not to keep.

This is how she has been in the tank since yesterday morning. (Well minus the poop... that did fall to the ground.)

DSCF2503_zps6506cb26.jpg

She still perks up and tries swimming when I feed the other goldfish, so I still have hope for her!

Edited by the.koi.maiden

Thanks! I'm sorry I've been so absent with updates this weekend. My sister has been in the hospital with a major kidney stone attack. The whole house has been a mess. It takes Waddles some effort, but she has been able to get down at least half of her pellets when we feed her. But she is still not able to right herself. Not even for a little bit. Do I just need to give the medicine more time? This is also only the second day of medication.

Hi! Following thread, wishing for -- and expecting -- the best. It's good that Mr. W. is in really good hands!

A: In general, higher environmental temperature (within reason) = better GF immune system function. True for mammals, too; probably why people often get a fever when they're sick. Fish lack this ability of course :(

Don't take my word for it, though

The immune system of cyprinid fish. Kinetics and temperature dependence of antibody-producing cells in carp (Cyprinus carpio). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1458243/pdf/immunology00246-0099.pdf Differential effects of temperature on specific and nonspecific immune defences in fish. (review article)

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/201/2/165.full.pdf