Sign in to follow this  
Hannee

clay ornament

My mother does alot with ceramics and for my birthday yesterday she had made me a decorative ornament for my goldfish tank. I believe it is earthenware with a glaze over it and I basically just want to know if there is anyway I could make it safe for the tank.

I'd feel mighty bad if they couldn't have it after all that but I can't risk hurting my babies

I don't know anything about ceramics since I've never used them in my tanks. I have seen other members use terracotta pots in their tanks. I'm just stopping by to say Happy Birthday to you :)

happybirthdayglitter.gif

If it is a fired glaze and its not hollow you should be fine :)

If it is hollow then you willl need to fix that first.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Daniel E.

What glaze did she use? There are food safe and not food safe glazes. Food safe can stand up to water and non food safe cannot generally. Is it 100% sealed in glaze?

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

:happyb

Thanks for the happy birthdays guys :)

It is a food safe glaze I believe but the bottom isn't isn't glazed (if the bottom is glazed it sticks to the kiln) and it isn't hollow, would sealing the bottom in aquarium sealant be an idea?

I really hope I can put it in soon when I get my new sand in :D

Yeah I'd use an aquarium safe sealant on the bottom. THen you should be good to go :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I have a glazed pot garden ornament in my aquarium, I drilled holes in the top to make a bubbler feature. Before adding it to the tank I kept it in a bucket of water for a week to make sure it wasnt leaking anything or producing a film on the water and I also tested the PH to make sure it wasnt effecting that.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the happy birthdays guys :)

It is a food safe glaze I believe but the bottom isn't isn't glazed (if the bottom is glazed it sticks to the kiln) and it isn't hollow, would sealing the bottom in aquarium sealant be an idea?

I really hope I can put it in soon when I get my new sand in :D

It sounds like it should be fine. You don't need to seal the bottom just because it wasn't glazed -- you would need to seal it if the piece was hollow. As long as it was fired to temp with food-safe glazes, it should be fine. :)

Please post pictures!! I used to do pottery, and I'd love to see it!

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :nana

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I actually disagree with not having to seal the bottom. Although clay can last in water for a very long time, it does still degrade. With all the crap they put in clay these days I would just seal it and not risk it.

I actually disagree with not having to seal the bottom. Although clay can last in water for a very long time, it does still degrade. With all the crap they put in clay these days I would just seal it and not risk it.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of crap do they put in clay these days?

Happy Birthday! :)

I am sure everything will work out, and you can use your gift in the tank. That is so neat that your mom made you that. :)

dnalex, on 11 Nov 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

ChelseaM, on 03 Nov 2013 - 3:54 PM, said:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of crap do they put in clay these days?

Happy Birthday! :)

I am sure everything will work out, and you can use your gift in the tank. That is so neat that your mom made you that. :)

Whiteners, silicates, bits of glass, oxide compounds, etc. depending on what it is that you are using clay, slip, and glaze-wise. A quick trip to Continental Clay's website will show you a comprehensive list. I believe that is where my pottery teacher bought from.