thinking about getting a snail

jorie

I was thinking about getting a mystery snail for my betta tank. Was just curious;

• what to feed them?
  • how to keep shell healthy?
  • anything special they need in the tank?
  • toys/decor you find them may like?
  • do they work in a bare bottom tank?
  • how big do mystery snails usually get?
  • any tips or tricks?

just trying to figure stuff out! :teehee would love to see your snail pics also!!

First off I wouldn't recommend mystery snails for a betta tank. They have large antennae and bettas love to peck at them. :o Trust me, I know this from experience and it's not pretty. :yikes

On the other hand, nerites do great with bettas. :D I have a couple in my betta tank cleaning it up right now. :rofl

They will eat the algae out of the tank. I typically will take mine out and put them in a separate container once a week for several hours or overnight to feed them. This ensures they get enough food. I feed them Repashy and algae wafers.

To keep the shell healthy they need calcium. If your GH is high, you won't need to add anything extra. If it's not or you don't know your GH is, you can simply add a cuttlebone (or half at a time would be plenty). Cuttlebones are sold in the bird section at pet stores.

They don't need any special toys or decor. They just cruise along whatever is in front of them. They do well in a barebottom tank. :D

Some snails will climb out of the tank so I suggest some sort of cover for the tank. Either a hood or a glass canopy.

Good luck! :nana

Lisa seems to have given you the basics here and my snail friends! They are nerites :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That last pic was when I first got them. Needless to say that rock is lean now lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I love nerites as well. :heart

Although I don't have any, I know they create the smallest bioload of all other common aquariums snails, and are great at cleaning up those nasty diatoms( which I believe is brown algae) They come in so many colors and varieties.

tiger\striped:

zebra-nerite-snail-1301733524-800.jpg

I think this one's leopard:

spotte_4da8ab5b2b.jpg

There are even "horned" varieties! :D

tricolor_horn_snail__13539.1330673865.12

• Supporter

I have all kinds of snails. I have to say I prefer mystery snail over nerites but like has already been said they are not so good with nippy fish.

I wanted to add though that the horned ones do not get as big as the others.

Good luck :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Daniel E.

First off I wouldn't recommend mystery snails for a betta tank. They have large antennae and bettas love to peck at them. :o Trust me, I know this from experience and it's not pretty. :yikes

On the other hand, nerites do great with bettas. :D I have a couple in my betta tank cleaning it up right now. :rofl

They will eat the algae out of the tank. I typically will take mine out and put them in a separate container once a week for several hours or overnight to feed them. This ensures they get enough food. I feed them Repashy and algae wafers.

To keep the shell healthy they need calcium. If your GH is high, you won't need to add anything extra. If it's not or you don't know your GH is, you can simply add a cuttlebone (or half at a time would be plenty). Cuttlebones are sold in the bird section at pet stores.

They don't need any special toys or decor. They just cruise along whatever is in front of them. They do well in a barebottom tank. :D

Some snails will climb out of the tank so I suggest some sort of cover for the tank. Either a hood or a glass canopy.

Good luck! :nana

so nerite instead of mystery! how big do they usually get?

if i were to get more than one, is it easy to remove the eggs so my tank wont get overpopulated?

I love nerites as well. :heart

Although I don't have any, I know they create the smallest bioload of all other common aquariums snails, and are great at cleaning up those nasty diatoms( which I believe is brown algae) They come in so many colors and varieties.

tiger\striped:

zebra-nerite-snail-1301733524-800.jpg

I think this one's leopard:

spotte_4da8ab5b2b.jpg

There are even "horned" varieties! :D

tricolor_horn_snail__13539.1330673865.12

the horned one looks so cute! i want him lol

I have a nerite!!! I looooove it. Cleans my tank perfectly. It's about an inch across.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Currently working but I sent the best friend on a hunt for nerite snails LOL finally found a shop so she's gonna go pick some out for me. I'll take some pics later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so she managed to get me two nerites. they only had zebra(striped) ones so i havent been able to distinguish them from each other yet. currently in a sterilized container with as you can see a carrot. they are about .5 inch big maybe smaller im not sure.

photo1_zps156f5a76.jpg?t=1383530186

sorry, iphone quality. and it seems queenie has managed to get a hair in there. grrrr lol.

• Helper

Sorry to hijack the thread but was wondering if anyone knows if nerites are available in Australia? I've never seen them and can't find anything on them, only seen mystery snails and marine snails. I've always had a mystery snail in with my betta, and have never had issues but reading what Lisa said has me worried

Congrats! May the keep your tank ever so clean! :teehee

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! It looks like one has bigger black stripes than the other so ill definitely be able to tell them apart by that. Plus by what I see in qt one is a lot more active than the other one so I'll have to check on that more often while QTing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

definitely! its interesting because i can look in the container and see them in one spot and thirty minutes later look again and they are on the complete opposite end. a bit too fast for a supposedly "slow" creature lol