Blue lobster/crayfish with goldfish?

carmen

I wouldn't even attempt it. My co worker did that and the lobster was on the fishes back while it was swimming eating away at it's for salt and body. The fish lived for I think another three years. He died when he was 7

I wouldn't even attempt it. My co worker did that and the lobster was on the fishes back while it was swimming eating away at it's for salt and body. The fish lived for I think another three years. He died when he was 7

Mikey, you paint the most vivid picture of a lobster riding on top of a goldfish.

It's horrible, but it made me laugh.

Mikey, you paint the most vivid picture of a lobster riding on top of a goldfish.

Just gonna drop this here....

Image006_zpsdaad6b85.png

Just gonna drop this here....

Image006_zpsdaad6b85.png

OMG!!! :lol::tomuch: I need to send this to my coworker!

I have seen even small crayfish latch on to tails of fish many times their size and hitch a ride which eating the fish's fins :( not good. Crayfish are definitely not suited for cohabitation with a species that enjoys foraging on the bottom like goldies. Their much better with tropicals that stay close to the surface.

• 2 months later...

Once, at a seaside aquarium, I came past as they fed fish to their giant lobster. It made the Texas Chainsaw Massacre look PG. :yikes

Edited by shakaho

I've had one in with my goodies for about a year now. Guess I have just been lucky! Give him his own territory and he pretty much minds his own business. He loves to climb in my volcano bubbler too.

I've had one in with my goodies for about a year now. Guess I have just been lucky! Give him his own territory and he pretty much minds his own business. He loves to climb in my volcano bubbler too.

Sometimes you get very passive ones! But in my experience they are the exception rather than the rule. Even well fed mine would go out of its way to stalk and hunt fish.

Yeah I wouldn't mix them. I used to have a regular crayfish and part of his routine diet was 3 or 4 minnows a week... eeek. I can't imagine trying to keep them in the same tank as fish without the fish ending up as food. But, I do encourage you to get a separate tank for one. They are so entertaining to watch and really quite interesting :)

You could try a smaller type of cray fish but get a deep tank so the fish can swim to the surface if they get attacked. :fishtank: Also get at least a fifty five gallon tank because i had one in a tiny tank once and it ate all of the fish. :tbanana

I had a blue Crayfish, he was great fun. We kept him in a 55g with some tropical schooling fish and he tried so hard to catch them, but he never did! He would sit in his cave and stick one claw out and hope a fish would swim by :lol3

That being said, even with a deep tank I would not try it with anything other than quick tropicals like neons or barbs.