My new RG Blue Oranda

Hi Everyone,

I was looking at the male Blue Oranda's last week and finally decided on one after emailing Steve several times regarding two specific ones that I couldn't decide one. Thank you Steve for your help. I picked out the perfect one for me. He has been great.

I received him yesterday and unfortunately my internet/phone wasn't working for over 36 hrs or I would have posted this yesterday. He is happily swimming around in his qt tank. I love him already.

Here are his measurements.

6.4 total inches

3.7 in body

66 grams in weight

I do have a question regarding his qt. For his first week I'm salting his 10g tank with 20 teaspoons of salt. Is this okay or should I have more salt in his tank? And should his tank temperature be around 80 degrees? Right now it's about 74ish/75ish with a little betta heater in the tank. Should I purchase a bigger heater? (this was a heater from Taylor's previous Betta that had passed away earlier this year)

Here are his photo's and a video. :)

I have a few names I am considering>> Magnum, Marshall, Slate. If you have a suggestion I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for looking.

Ughhh. I'm having a problem with photo bucket. I've been trying and they aren't posting. I'll have to try back later today and post them.

Ooh I love Slate! Or Bullet or Nimbus, like a storm cloud :D

I can't wait for pics!!! Would you mind letting me know how he adjusts to life in a tank? I always wondered if Raingarden fish had a transition period since they are raised in such different conditions. I want one someday :wub:

Hi Everyone, I was looking at the male Blue Oranda I received him yesterday and unfortunately my internet/phone wasn't working for over 36 hrs or I would have posted this yesterday.

I'm having a problem with photo bucket. I've been trying and they aren't posting.

It's a plot! Slate (aka Shadow??) is in the Federal goldfish protection program & doesn't want his pic to get out haha

Congratulations on your new Oranda! It's super he's healthy, happy, & acting as if he's in his native environment. Enjoy!

congrats!! :) I would personally do 3% salt (30 tsp) for the first week, and no need to raise temp to 80, but like Lisa said you may want to follow Steve's QT instructions :) can't wait to see pics!!

congrats!! :) I would personally do 3% salt (30 tsp) for the first week, and no need to raise temp to 80, but like Lisa said you may want to follow Steve's QT instructions :) can't wait to see pics!!

That's 0.3%, not 3%. :teehee Those darn decimal points. :rofl

Haha yes, thank you Lisa. I'm feeling under the weather and my brain is obviously not cooperating with me :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new oranda Cheryl!!! :nana

Thank Mikey. I wish I could share photo's with everyone.

Ooh I love Slate! Or Bullet or Nimbus, like a storm cloud :D

I can't wait for pics!!! Would you mind letting me know how he adjusts to life in a tank? I always wondered if Raingarden fish had a transition period since they are raised in such different conditions. I want one someday :wub:

That's funny because I thought of bullet and storm also. :) Shortly after I put him in his qt tank it was odd because he was swimming all over the place real fast and way up to the surface of the tank. Almost like he wanted out. :( He did settle down shortly afterwards. If I didn't have a hood on the tank he might have jumped out. It made me feel a little sad because I was wondering if I took him out of a big pond. He's doing much better now. I'll be glad when qt is over and he can go into the 60g. It's not a pond but I'll give him a good home.

Oohhh Cheryl congrats!! :clapping:

I thought of you when I saw a beautiful blue oranda this afternoon :)

Aww, Thank you. And, you didn't get that beautiful blue oranda!

:rofl no I did not!

Just admired it :) there were sooooo many cuties today. I didn't even come close to trying to justify one :rofl

Hope photobucket cooperates soon!!

Congrats! :nana

Good luck, and wishing you an uneventful QT!

Thank you so much. :) So far, so good.

Hi Everyone, I was looking at the male Blue Oranda I received him yesterday and unfortunately my internet/phone wasn't working for over 36 hrs or I would have posted this yesterday.

I'm having a problem with photo bucket. I've been trying and they aren't posting.

It's a plot! Slate (aka Shadow??) is in the Federal goldfish protection program & doesn't want his pic to get out haha

Congratulations on your new Oranda! It's super he's healthy, happy, & acting as if he's in his native environment. Enjoy!

ha ha That was funny. He's still hiding I guess because photo bucket doesn't want to work with me still. :( He's eating and swimming around good. I feel bad because the tank is sooooo boring.

Congratulation's on your new Blue Oranda.

Thank you so much Dawn. :)

Congrats! Looking forward to pics. :D

What are Steve's instructions for QT? I think your current tank temp is fine for QT. Does Steve recommend 80*?

Thanks Lisa, I didn't see any specific long term instructions. It was recommended to qt for a few weeks. I'm going to do salt only for a week or so and then prazi and salt for probably 5 weeks. I thought I had read somewhere here that salt is good for qt if the temp is raised to 80. Is that false? I was just wondering what is/would be recommended?

Salt and raised temp is recommended for ich, but I don't see any reason to raise temp that high if ich is not present. Low to mid 70s should be just fine for your purposes

congrats!! :) I would personally do 3% salt (30 tsp) for the first week, and no need to raise temp to 80, but like Lisa said you may want to follow Steve's QT instructions :) can't wait to see pics!!Thank you for salt amount.

Thank you. I did raise the salt today to 25 teaspoons. I'll raise it up tomorrow to 30 teaspoons. Do you know what that amount would be in grams Jess? This way I can just weigh the salt. It's Mortons Canning and Pickling Salt. Like above, I don't remember seeing any specific qt instructions on Steve's site. If I should do something different from what I wrote above can you or someone please tell me. Thank you. :)

Haha yes, thank you Lisa. I'm feeling under the weather and my brain is obviously not cooperating with me :P

Hope you feel better soon. A couple of days ago I pulled a muscle on my side/ribs and today it's hurting bad. Can hardly move without feeling the pain. :(

Can't wait to see pictures!!!! Congratulations, Cheryl!!!!

Aww, Thank you. I can't wait to post photo's. :

:rofl no I did not!

Just admired it :) there were sooooo many cuties today. I didn't even come close to trying to justify one :rofl

Hope photobucket cooperates soon!!

That's what I'll have to do now when I see fish. Just admire them. My tanks are completed and I am thrilled.

Salt and raised temp is recommended for ich, but I don't see any reason to raise temp that high if ich is not present. Low to mid 70s should be just fine for your purposes

That's where I've read that....for ich. Thanks for telling me this and reminding me. ha ha Good, I don't have to go out and buy another heater. :)

[/url]">http://10-31-13RaingardennewBlueOranda006_zpsd6

Finally, I think photo bucket is working. Hope these show up. :) He's more gorgeous with his colors now. Yesterday when I first had him in the qt tank he had a lot of bright silver on his body. Now his colors have changed to those beautiful grey's with that goldish undertone on his body.

[/url]">http://10-31-13RaingardennewBlueOranda004_zpsdf

[/url]">http://10-31-13RaingardennewBlueOranda005_zps50

[/url]">http://10-31-13RaingardennewBlueOranda003_zps9e

Here's a video of him.

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/4prettyfish/media/10-31-13RaingardennewBlueOranda002_zpsf1d29f57.mp4.html

In grams, .1% is 1 gram per liter, so .3% would be 3 grams per liter :)

here's the QT article I wrote if it's helpful :)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/water-quality-articles/goldfish-quarantine-procedure-r503