goldfish has red sore under chin what should i DO?!

smg2227

I have a goldfish in a 30 gal tank. he has a red sore under his chin. what should I do to heal him. ths is an emergency please help!!!

i would also like to add that I always add a little extra prime because i have ammonia in my water naturally. i usually add cap ful which is supposed to be equaled to 50gal so about almost the double dose since my tank is 30 gal.

Tank info

temp: I think 78 degree F not sure because the temp sticker is a bit too high so the water barely touches it

30 Gall tank

No gravel in the tank

ph:7.6

ammonia: .50ppm

nitrate:5ppm

nitrite: 0ppm

last water change was right now which was almost 75% change

I use Prime when doing water changes.

I have salt I added 3 tblespoon in the morning because directions said 1 tblspn for every 5 gallons. so I added for half the amount of tank.but since I changed 75% water there isnt as much salt in anymore.

I have two filters running one is for a 20 gal tank and the other im not sure because it was given to me.

I have a goldfish in a 30 gal tank. he has a red sore under his chin. what should I do to heal him. ths is an emergency please help!!!
i would also like to add that I always add a little extra prime because i have ammonia in my water naturally. i usually add cap ful which is supposed to be equaled to 50gal so about almost the double dose since my tank is 30 gal.
last water change was right now which was almost 75% change
I use Prime when doing water changes.
I have salt I added 3 tblespoon in the morning because directions said 1 tblspn for every 5 gallons. so I added for half the amount of tank.but since I changed 75% water there isnt as much salt in anymore.
I have two filters running one is for a 20 gal tank and the other im not sure because it was given to me.
i would also like to add the i have melafix but have no added any in because i do have other healthy fish in the tank but when i used it when he had cotton head it helped so im wondering if i should use this time.
Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank) .50ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
* Nitrate level(Tank) 5ppm
* Ammonia Level(Tap)
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
* Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drops and i use API freshwater master test kit
* Water temperature? 78 degrees F I think
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 3-5 months
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval aquaclear 20-30 gal and im not sure of the other but its a pretty big filter.
* How often do you change the water and how much? my mom has been taking care of the waters since i went away and she didnt change water so the last time was about a month ago. i usually try to every two weeks
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 50% change last month
* How many fish in the tank and their size? one big goldfish (the one with the red sore) and two small ones about 2-3 in wide
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? PRIME
* What do you feed your fish and how often?i forget what they are called but they are round pebbles usually used for koi fish i think
* Any new fish added to the tank? no new fish
* Any medications added to the tank? no except the salt i mentioned earlier
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
SAlt 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons. I added 3 Tablespoons which is half of what the directions said cuz i have a 30 gal. so i only added for about 15 gal. this morning at 10am it is now 10pm. and i didn 75 % water chang ebut did not add any salt this time
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? just the red sore under his chin
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
no usual behavior always looking for food

tap ammonia was actually 1ppm but the tank water ammonia is .50ppm which is weird to me

. my tap water always has ammonia in it

all the readings were after the 75% WC

here is a picture

Nono/photo.php?fbid=10201603189778724&set=a.3512318323817.2141017.1147663755&type=1&theater

Your tank ammonia was probably 0 before the WC and then as you changed out 75% of the water, replacing it with tap water at 1 ppm ammonia, it went to 0.5. Your BBs will process that rather quickly I would imagine.

I would like to kow what your nitrates were before the WC. I suspect they were rather high with 3 fishin a 30 gallon tank and the last WC a month ago. I think the redness is due to that.

At this point with the water parameters as they are, the activity level normal and eating well, I would observe and see how he's doing tomorrow. Don't add Melafix.

When you change the water, do you wipe down the surfaces of the tank? What about filter maintenance? What's your routine for cleaning the filters? Also, can you tell us about and/or post a pic as far as what media you have in each of your filters?

Just trying to get a feel for what's going on other than perhaps high nitrates that would be causing the redness . . .

Please forgive us if we are being slightly annoying in pestering you for pics, but I have a suspicion of what this might be and would like some pics to help things along.

Thanks. :)

Please forgive us if we are being slightly annoying in pestering you for pics, but I have a suspicion of what this might be and would like some pics to help things along.

Thanks. :)

She posted a link to a pic above. :)

Oops. So it's not what I think it is, which is a great thing.

I think this is a type of bacterial infection, and I think that salt is fine for treating it, but you will need to raise the salinity to 0.3%, or 3 teaspoons per gallon. Because your tap has ammonia, I won't suggest doing daily water change, but you should still change the water at least once a week, at about 50-75%. Add double the amount of Prime recommended for your size tank during these water changes. I think the spot should go away a week or so after you raise the salt. :)

i dont wipe down anything i just vaccum out any food or poop that the filter doesnt pickup.i dont have rocks or gravel so i usually dont have much anywyy

i usually only clean filters when there is alot of gunk on itand i just wash off the extra gunk on it.

here are the pics of the filters:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201604219124457&set=a.2042256893200.2108902.1147663755&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201604218884451&set=a.2042256893200.2108902.1147663755&type=1&theater

this is whats inside the second filter:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201604218724447&set=a.2042256893200.2108902.1147663755&type=1&theater

so regarding the salt I need to put 90 teaspoons of salt since i have 30 gal?

i dont wipe down anything i just vaccum out any food or poop that the filter doesnt pickup.i dont have rocks or gravel so i usually dont have much anywyy

i usually only clean filters when there is alot of gunk on itand i just wash off the extra gunk on it.

here are the pics of the filters:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201604219124457&set=a.2042256893200.2108902.1147663755&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201604218884451&set=a.2042256893200.2108902.1147663755&type=1&theater

this is whats inside the second filter:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201604218724447&set=a.2042256893200.2108902.1147663755&type=1&theater

so regarding the salt I need to put 90 teaspoons of salt since i have 30 gal?

also i wanted to add that he is at the top of the tank alot like gasping for air what can i do for this

• Supporter

hello Sandy, sorry to read your fish isn't feeling well. with regards to the surface gulping, do you have an airwand or airdisc in the tank? sometimes, especially at higher to normal temps (78F is a little up there), there is little oxygen in the water.

if it's not too much trouble, would you be able to post a short video or a full tank shot of your set up?

here is a picture of the whole tank i have three of the bubble things but im wondering if i should get another kind and how many. i had a round one but since i have no gravel its hard to put it anywhere cuz it wont stay in place. Im also wondering should i add some gravel? my tank just looks so simple and i would like to add things that wouldnt harm my fish.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201607331762271&set=a.2042256893200.2108902.1147663755&type=1&theater

i just started noticing that the fish is swimming a bit slanted. when he swims he is a bit tilted to one side

here is a video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201607940977501&set=vb.1147663755&type=2&theater

he is still gasping for air.

when should i do the next water change and salt change?

i did the last WC last night for anyone who is just catching up to this.

When my tank was barebottom, I had a disk airstone also. I held it down with a few large river rocks like this:

602cf4fe-796d-471e-bad1-4a8b3c93055d_zps

The airline tubing is running along the back of the tank and the river rocks sit on top of the air line and kinda lean up against the back of the air disk.

Change the water in about 5-6 days, about 50-75%. :D

Have you ever treated for flukes? :idont

When my tank was barebottom, I had a disk airstone also. I held it down with a few large river rocks like this:

602cf4fe-796d-471e-bad1-4a8b3c93055d_zps

The airline tubing is running along the back of the tank and the river rocks sit on top of the air line and kinda lean up against the back of the air disk.

Change the water in about 5-6 days, about 50-75%. :D

Have you ever treated for flukes? :idont

i havent treated for flukes, what is that exactly? since i added the salt yesterday the red spot isnt there as much as before.

but he still is gasping at the top.

i gave him some peas since i hear it helps with the slanted swimming

is there soemthing else i should do?

Flukes are parasites that latch onto the gills (there are also body flukes) and can cause gasping. I treat every new fish for flukes and then do another treatment about every 6 months. We may want to treat for flukes at some point. It's a very gentle treatment and doesn't actually act on the fish themselves, just the flukes.

Call around to a few local fish shops and see if anyone carries PraziPro. The large chain stores don't carry it but if you have a locally owned pet/fish store they might. Our sponsor tastyworms carries it and his price is great. I'd recommend the 4 oz bottle as you'd have some left over for future use. :D

will the treatment harm the fish if they dont carry flukes and i treat them for it?

also what should i do if the gasping doesnt stop?

would it be a good thing to add plants to my tank/

The treatment won't harm the fish if they don't have flukes but if they don't have flukes they may be the only fish on the site that don't. :o On the other hand, if it's a severe case of flukes, they could develop a secondary bacterial infection in which case it is a good idea to have an antibiotic on hand.

Is the gasping a new symptom or has it been going on for a while? :idont

It's always fun to add plants but I dont' know that it will help as far as their health is concerned. :D

also is there an airstone that you would recommend? i would like one big one that i can stick to the tank

thanks for all your help btw!!! :)

What shape airstone are you thinking? I really like my disc as I've had it for probably close to a year and it's still pumping out the bubbles. It's the Petsmart brand . . . nothing fancy. :idont

And you're welcome. That's what we're here for! :D

That's great that the redness has mostly disappeared. :)

I hope you get the gasping under control with the great help that you've been receiving.

I have a disk in my tank and the weight of it alone keeps it down. :)