Sign in to follow this  
kiwikacey

Filter problem....help!

Hi everyone -

Just looked over at my tank to see a few drops of water leaking down the back side of it....I think...GREAT so I go and take a look and it turns out there's a crack in the plastic of one of my aquaclear 110s. It's leaking, albeit very slowly. I just bought these filters in July from Fosters and Smith....I still have one running on my 75 gallon tank. Will this be OK until I can resolve the problem and get another filter going (I'm going to call them and explain my issue)? What do I do with all my media while I wait? Is there something I can use to seal it in the meantime? I will be running with only one filter until at least 5pm tomorrow even if I try and seal it.

Thanks for any help!

I have, at the moment, a whisper air pump and stone & ONE aquaclear 110 running (usually have 2). My tank is slightly planted.

Edited by kiwikacey

I have melted plastic back together. They probably won't want to warranty it for you if you do that though.

You should be perfectly fine. Definitely call them; it shouldn't break that quick. :no:

Can you fit your other media into your running filter? If not, I would say tank water in a bucket with an air stone under it to keep it circulating. If you have ammonia, you can put that in to keep the cycle. If not, fish food works perfectly fine for an ammonia supplement. :)

I have melted plastic back together. They probably won't want to warranty it for you if you do that though.

hmmmm....it seems to just be a small surface crack. I could do that. would a regular lighter work?

You should be perfectly fine. Definitely call them; it shouldn't break that quick. :no:

Can you fit your other media into your running filter? If not, I would say tank water in a bucket with an air stone under it to keep it circulating. If you have ammonia, you can put that in to keep the cycle. If not, fish food works perfectly fine for an ammonia supplement. :)

I can do that. I have another small airstone and a multi-valve pump. Unfortunately the other media won't fit in the filter I have running!

I can do that. I have another small airstone and a multi-valve pump. Unfortunately the other media won't fit in the filter I have running!

If you are going to get a filter running within tomorrow and putting that media in it, just put it in the bucket with the air stone. Your BB should be okay for 24 hours without ammonia. It may have a cycle bump in that filter, but since you have the other one that is cycled, I wouldn't worry about a bump. ;)

I've used a mesh laundry delicates bag inside my tank with air stones underneath it to keep the bbs alive. This also keeps them fed because they're still in the tank, exposed to circulating water.

Yes a regular lighter should work.

Try covering the crack with tank sealant. (silicone) If it is a hairline crack use the Gel type Crazy glue. It can fil minor cracks.

a little dab of 2 part epoxy can also work. Also, if you cn get to a Home Depot or alike, pick up the LocTite under water epoxy putty. It is the one that is like a stick of white clay. That stuff is miraculous and non toxic when cured. It cures under water so you wont even need to turn the filter off.

Edited by sonny.barile

Thanks everyone! I'll be calling F&S today to discuss this issue and hopefully they can get a new filter in the mail for me asap :) I should add, it has only been OPERATIONAL since the end of August....breaking after 2 months of use is certainly not a good thing. Fingers crossed they can send me one quickly!

Currently have my media (all that wouldn't fit in the other filter) in the tank, on top of the air stone. As per the advice of @ChelseaM

Make a biomedia holder from a ketchup bottle.

Find an empty plastic 1.0L ketchup bottle (or similar shape) and wash thoroughly. Drill two holes into the back for suction cups. Add your media into the bottle, no matter that it does not fill the whole bottle. Drill a hole into the neck for an air line. Insert the air line into the bottle, then add the air stone. Drill small holes into the cap. Put the ketchup bottle cap back on. Add to tank, inverted. The shape of the ketchup bottle ensures that air gets to all your biomedia.

I got this design from Youtube, but cannot find the video.

Called fosters and smith today - they directed me to Hagen, and I guess their policy is that I have to pay the shipping & include all relevant receipts when I send it back....which I don't have. It's a small crack, so I put some gorilla glue (the quick dry stuff....I know it's bad, but will it be okay as long as it is on the OUTSIDE of the filter?) on it and am waiting for that to set. Would you guys recommend a different kind of filter maybe? I have had TWO aquaclears form cracks like this now, and am worried that it might keep happening.

I don't see why the gorilla glue is bad. When cured, it's food safe, and therefore should be good for fish :)

http://www.leevalley.com/us/shopping/Instructions.aspx?p=51213

Ok - just thought that I read it somewhere on here that it was bad? It's not the original - it's called "Precision Glue Pen" Dries White 2x Faster. Again, not going to put it on the inner part of the plastic, just the outside. Maybe I'm just making all this up about the gorilla glue being bad!

You're fine. :)

When cured, this product should be fine. Also, the acute oral toxicity in rats is 2g/kg, so it's not a concern.

I hope you get the filter working well again!

You're fine. :)

When cured, this product should be fine. Also, the acute oral toxicity in rats is 2g/kg, so it's not a concern.

I hope you get the filter working well again!

Oh, wow! Thanks! I hope this works, at least until I can get to the store and find something that I can attach to it and permanently seal it.

...Would you guys recommend a different kind of filter maybe? I have had TWO aquaclears form cracks like this now, and am worried that it might keep happening.

I have lots of AC filters, from AC20s to AC70s, and consider myself an AC fanboy. All but one AC filter was bought used, all without any leaks from cracking of the body or any other type of leak. I also see many used AC filter bodies that I do not buy because I have too many, all without cracks.

Are you doing anything to the filter that is...different? I really do not think it is the Aquaclear product line that is defective. Maybe try a different store. Maybe they are cracking due to rough shipping.

Personally I would use aquarium grade silicone to fix the outside crack. Silicone is flexible, bonds well to near anything, except other silicone, and can last a lifetime.

...Would you guys recommend a different kind of filter maybe? I have had TWO aquaclears form cracks like this now, and am worried that it might keep happening.

I have lots of AC filters, from AC20s to AC70s, and consider myself an AC fanboy. All but one AC filter was bought used, all without any leaks from cracking of the body or any other type of leak. I also see many used AC filter bodies that I do not buy because I have too many, all without cracks.

Are you doing anything to the filter that is...different? I really do not think it is the Aquaclear product line that is defective. Maybe try a different store. Maybe they are cracking due to rough shipping.

Personally I would use aquarium grade silicone to fix the outside crack. Silicone is flexible, bonds well to near anything, except other silicone, and can last a lifetime.

I love the way they've worked for me, aside from the breakage. The first one was definitely a shipping issue (and they sent me a new one, as it was within the 60 day return period for F&S) so maybe this one was just a little weak from shipping, but the crack didn't show up right away? Anyway, I'm definitely going to get some silicone as I think it will be good to have some around "just in case."

Thanks!