No luck with Apple snail

gto1605

Hi guys,

I brought apple snail last month and then died after couple weeks (about 2 months) then i brought two more; one small and one medium. Two days ago the small one died.

I checked my water parameter they look normal. Ph 8, ammonia 0, nitrate and nitrite all good. I just wondering why they keep dying :(

Other info: i got 3 goldfishes in my 50 gallons tanks

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did their shells look like, smooth or damaged? What size were they? Water temperature?

What did they get to eat? In some cases it can be difficult to make sure these snails get food when they are kept with goldfish, since goldfish gobble everything up pretty quickly

• Supporter

are your snails getting enough food and calcium?

I used to have the same problem very many years ago, I found that keeping a cuttlefish bone wedged under an ornament or piece of driftwood, they would be able to access it of a night time and graze off it.

also, do you think they're getting enough food? goldies are gobbleguts' and they eat everything in sight & quickly... snails are more active for food of a night time so if there's nothing left, they may be going hungry.

what I used to do is twice a week, I would remove them into a bowl, overnight, with some fresh vegetables like cucumber or zucchini or even algae food like wafers that you can pick up from the fish shop or pet store..

• Helper

I used to have the same problem very many years ago, I found that keeping a cuttlefish bone wedged under an ornament or piece of driftwood, they would be able to access it of a night time and graze off it.

also, do you think they're getting enough food? goldies are gobbleguts' and they eat everything in sight & quickly... snails are more active for food of a night time so if there's nothing left, they may be going hungry.

what I used to do is twice a week, I would remove them into a bowl, overnight, with some fresh vegetables like cucumber or zucchini or even algae food like wafers that you can pick up from the fish shop or pet store..

That's interesting! I never knew I could put in cuttlefish bone for them, do you need to do anything special to it?

And never thought of moving them to a bowl overnight for a feed either!

I just got a new snail for my bettas tank, and want to make sure this guy is nice and strong and healthy :)

• Supporter

That's interesting! I never knew I could put in cuttlefish bone for them, do you need to do anything special to it?

And never thought of moving them to a bowl overnight for a feed either!

I just got a new snail for my bettas tank, and want to make sure this guy is nice and strong and healthy :)

nope, nothing special :) just a good rinse before hand, then a soak into primed water, then added to the tank :) as you would everything else.

if your snail is in the betta tank, there will most likely be ample food left over for the snail to eat. you could also trap some food into where the betta usually won't go frequently and the snail will learn to go there for food. so I don't see any reason for you to require removing the snails from the tank.

the cuttlefish bone is very important as it is a source of calcium for them. and that is essential for their shells.

I actually broke my cuttlebone into chunks and then rinsed them, soaked them and placed them in random places behind plants rocks and driftwood in my tank :) That way they are all around the tank :)