Will Coral be lonely?

CoralPeachy

I'm thinking of euthanizing my fish Peachy but am wondering if my other fish, Coral will be lonely. I really don't think it would be a good idea to replace Peachy because my tank is only 12 us gallons and I would still be overstocked with one goldfish. Right now Coral is just sitting next to Peachy and earlier on she was gently nudging her. How do you think Coral will be by herself? Thanks.

• Supporter

I think she will be ok on her own, especially in such a small space. I'm not an expert on fish relationships (lol) but I think we tend to over humanize them (I know I do lol). I think she will be fine. I'm so sorry you are going through having to make this choice

Maybe it's time to look into upgrading to a bigger tank? :) If you do, you won't have to worry about not being able to fit a friend for Coral in there.

Most goldfish are social creatures. Some do just fine alone though. Maybe you could just try and see how he/she does alone? I assume they can get used to being lonely

If not, I think it would be a good idea to get a larger tank before you get an extra fish.

That's good then. I do over humanize them sometimes! HemligaHajen, I know it would be great if I could get a bigger tank but I have gone over it many times with my mum and I'm just not allowed unfortunately. I might have to move and change her decorations around more often to keep her interested and amused.

I know CoralPeachy would like a bigger tank, but her parents wont allow it, if I remember right from a previous topic

Yeah, that's right!

• Supporter

she will be fine by herself.. a 20 gallon is not much bigger than a 12 gallon, do you think you might be able to convince them to go a 20 gallon instead? still, in this amount of space, you can only have the one goldie, but at least you're giving her the best chance possible.

No, I am really not allowed. I have tried very hard to convince her so many times before but it has never worked. I know my tank is too small for Coral but she doesn't seem be cramped in there at all. At least I know that she'll be fine by herself, I wouldn't want her to just bottom sit all day an be all sad.

I see.. Well in that case I would just see how it goes. If it becomes a problem and your fish acts up, maybe you could try putting in a mirror? (I have no idea if that works with goldfish or not. Just a thought)

Well there's no harm in trying!

• Supporter

please do not put a mirror on the inside of the tank. in fact, I don't think it's really necessary at all. I say this because some of the glass panels will appear mirrored on the inside depending on which direction the light is hitting the tank (other than the overhead light).

as you can see, from the picture in your signature the base of your tank looks mirrored. and I am sure, like mine, it's not.

I worry because of the backing paint that the glass will be painted with to create the mirror, the cheaper the product the less quality the reflective paint. you certainly wouldn't want to be slowly poisoning your fish to it's death and have no idea why it's happening.

if you must use a mirror, which I think in general is unnecessary, please just put one on the outside of the tank.

please do not put a mirror on the inside of the tank. in fact, I don't think it's really necessary at all. I say this because some of the glass panels will appear mirrored on the inside depending on which direction the light is hitting the tank (other than the overhead light).

as you can see, from the picture in your signature the base of your tank looks mirrored. and I am sure, like mine, it's not.

I worry because of the backing paint that the glass will be painted with to create the mirror, the cheaper the product the less quality the reflective paint. you certainly wouldn't want to be slowly poisoning your fish to it's death and have no idea why it's happening.

if you must use a mirror, which I think in general is unnecessary, please just put one on the outside of the tank.

Good thing you said that. Noticed now that I wrote "in" which, ofcourse, I shouldn't have. (which I also know so it was really rather stupid of me)

However, isn't it so that the glass is only reflective if you look at it from certain angles and from outside the tank? I mean, if you're in the water it wouldn't look reflective right? (at least, that's what my boyfriend tries to tell me)

Anyway, just asking. I have no experience keeping goldfish alone and as such, were just guessing, thinking of possible options. :)

Edit: with options I mean options IF it doesn't work to keep him/her alone. Not before you know if it works or not.

Edited by HemligaHajen

• Supporter

not sure, I have never swam in a glass tank :P

but I would assume a dark(er) corner will reflect the light and shine like a mirror wether it be in water or not.

when the room is dark & the overhead tank lights are on, my fish cannot see me. I assume they're idolising themselves. black on glass with a reflective front light screams mirror to me.. perhaps i'm wrong :)

I was thinking of putting the mirror on the outside kind of like you would do with a betta but I'm sure Coral will be ok without me doing that. I didn't even notice HemligaHajen write 'in'!

I think if you can give Coral a little extra attention she will be just fine :) sorry about peachy :(

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do :) . Well I bought the clove oil and am going to do it now. It's been a hard decision and I can't believe that just last week she was perfectly fine :( . Thanks for your help.

Good thing you said that. Noticed now that I wrote "in" which, ofcourse, I shouldn't have. (which I also know so it was really rather stupid of me)

However, isn't it so that the glass is only reflective if you look at it from certain angles and from outside the tank? I mean, if you're in the water it wouldn't look reflective right? (at least, that's what my boyfriend tries to tell me)

Anyway, just asking. I have no experience keeping goldfish alone and as such, were just guessing, thinking of possible options. :)

Edit: with options I mean options IF it doesn't work to keep him/her alone. Not before you know if it works or not.

I have a mirror propped up behind my tank,...seems to go unnoticed by my fish.

I kinda like it though, because it covers the wires and looks clean.

...plus, it makes my tank look bigger... :P

I have a mirror propped up behind my tank,...seems to go unnoticed by my fish.

I kinda like it though, because it covers the wires and looks clean.

...plus, it makes my tank look bigger... :P

That's a good idea!

He seems to be doing fine so far so I'm not too concerned anymore. It's nice to hear that your fish is ok by himself. I'll give Coral lots of attention and will be around him a lot since my desk is right next to the tank!

May I ask why you euthanized Peachy? What happened to her? :(

She got dropsy and was not well at all. I couldn't treat her because I only had a bucket that I could use as quarantine and my mum wouldn't let me buy anything bigger. I'm not sure if she would have survived anyway, even if I had treated her.

May I ask why you euthanized Peachy? What happened to her? :(

She got dropsy and was not well at all. I couldn't treat her because I only had a bucket that I could use as quarantine and my mum wouldn't let me buy anything bigger. I'm not sure if she would have survived anyway, even if I had treated her.

Oh, I'm sorry. :(