Please Help!

CoralPeachy

I don't have an ammonia test kit

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 15

PH: 7.6

KH: between 6 and 10

GH: between 7 and 14

Brand of test kit: JBL easy test 6 in 1 (strips)

I changed the water on Saturday about 30%.

Two fish in the tank.

The sick one is about 5 or 6cm.

Conditioner: sometimes API stress coat but usually aqua care.

I feed them soaked new life spectrum every other day because they have bad swim bladder and it's getting cold now. I also feed spinach.

I haven't added any new fish. I haven't added medication.

I have used salt to help fin tears in the past but not at the moment.

Temperature: 21 degrees

The tank is 12 us gallons and has been running for almost 2 years.

I change the water every week, 50%. But for the past month I have been having to do 25% water changes sometimes since I haven't been well.

My red fantail has been bottom sitting since Friday but has still been active when I give her food. Today it has got really bad and she won't even eat anymore. Her scales are very slightly raised (mainly on her underside). There seems to be a slight swelling on her underside, between her two pectoral fins (sorry, it's hard to explain). Since this morning she has lost her balance and is now lying on her side and will not react to me. She has swim bladder problems but I don't think that is what this is because I fasted her yesterday and she usually floats and doesn't sink. She has got bad really quickly! Please help, I think she's dying!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked her up and put a tiny piece of soft, blanched spinach in her mouth and she seems to be chewing it. She didn't even struggle to get out of my hand like she usually would. I have no epsom salt or metro! All I have is aquarium salt. :no: Thank you very much for your help!

Where can you get epsom salt from? I've looked for it before and haven't found it. It's 5:30 so the fish store would be closed now so I can't get metro meds until tomorrow but I might be able to get the salt.

The Epsom salt you can purchase at a drug store. It should be in the area where your bath supplies would be. Just get the plain Epsom salt. The metro meds you need to order it at goldfishconnection.com.

I'm sorry your fish isn't doing well. :hug Perhaps someone might have some metro meds that live near you to save you time.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Should I try and get the epsom salt now? What would I have to do with the salt, dose the whole tank or stuff it in a pea and feed it to her?

I think the only way I can get medicated food is by going to a vet but I'm not completely sure.

Could I put her in a 3 gallon bucket if I did regular water changes? I'll ask my mum now if I could buy a storage bin but I don't think she'll agree to it because she doesn't really like fish stuff. Thanks :)

Should I kill her with clove oil? My dad says it's not practical to put her in a different tank/container and thinks we should just do nothing since we can't get metro meds. I don't want to do nothing because dropsy can get quite nasty, I don't know if it's painful though.

I just had dinner and when I came back, she was stuck to the filter intake. I thought she was dead! :no: I've just turned the filter off for a little bit and she's moved away from it. She really isn't looking good, I feel so sorry for her. Can anybody give me suggestions on what I should do. Should I euthanize her?

It's too late now to go to the pharmacy and my parents won't let me get a container bigger than 3 gallons. :( I think she's suffering. She now can't get off her side and swims like that too (when she occasionally does swim) and she looks dead apart from her gills and mouth moving a tiny bit. I hope she doesn't get stuck to the filter in the night! I don't think it's right to do nothing so should I euthanize her?

My mum is quite stressed about this especially since we're having to use the utility (fish business) sink as our kitchen sink as well. Our normal kitchen sink won't be sorted out until sunday so my mum says I can't touch fish water until then. She really doesn't want me to use a storage bin. And sorry motherredcap but I don't think she will want to check in here. My mum really isn't very good with fish related things and thinks that most things to do with it are harmful.

You do what you think is right. I'd personally go and talk to your parents about what is going on and what you need to do to treat it. Instead of saying "But I need it!" if they deny you, say "She's dying and this is what I can do to save her." Have they seen your fish? If not, show your parents what is going on.

:hi CoralPeachy. I'm sorry you are having problems with a sick fish, it's always very stressful. :hug

You can buy Epsom salts from any pharmacist. Boots will have it for sure! ;) I have some that I can send to you and I also have an open bag of metro meds so I don't mind sending you some. Just check with your parents that they are o.k. with this.

I am fearful that you won't receive them in time though. :(

Well my mum says I'm stressing her out now so I can't really talk to her anymore about it. I've (calmly and nicely) explained to her about Peachy but she doesn't like to have anything to do with my fish and doesn't want me to talk about them (even when they are not ill!). Thank you very much for the generous offer U.K. Becs but my mum says no thank you. My mum says that I am either allowed to buy epsom salt and put Peachy in the 3 u.s. gallon bucket tomorrow or let her die naturally. Thank you everyone for the help.