Aggressive feeding behavior

incredibleSE

Lately, I've noticed that my 2 largest oranda have been acting pretty aggressive towards each other and their 2 tank mates when feeding. After they finish snacking on the pellets that they've snatched while they were sinking, they start to patrol the area where the pellets lay. They then begin to start pushing any other fish that come into the vicinity of the pellets. When it's just them, they starting fighting over the spot. Is this normal? I've tried to move around where I let the pellets sink but I've observed the same behavior no matter where the pellets fall.

A few options to minimize this issue:

1. Spread the food out over a wide area. - The two aggressors may be able to monopolize one spot, but not the whole area of the tank. This will also encourage foraging behavior.
  2. Hand feed. - this allows for you to personally make sure that the fish get their food and allows you to regulate the aggression.
  3. Separate the aggressors and other fish during feeding time. - This will keep fish separated so that no fights break out.

I do the hand feeding but my new ranchu isn't use to it yet. So, I try to put pellets in its path but the big guys always get to it before it can low enough for the ranchu. I'll try handfeeding the big ones will I drop pellets in the back for the little guys.

My two are often pushy toward each other around feeding times. But not to the point that it's concerning, just some head butting here and there.

Since some of the fish are new and adjusting they may just be working it out still. As long as everyone is getting food and no ones getting hurt I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Try to spread out the good like Chelsea suggested and begin teaching the slower ones to hand feed if you like :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pom pom does that every time. He eats what falls and then will head butt and chase the others away. The others hold their own though and it's the pom pom who misses out. By the time he's done being a bully, the food is eaten. Sometimes I have to take him out and feed him in a container to make sure he gets his share lol. Little poop disturber:)