Sign in to follow this  
Pearlscaleperfect

Meet the Ho Ryu!

I was talking (or trying to converse) with a girl from Japan on instagram who was under the impression that my former crowned pearlscale Roos was something called a Ho Ryuu (Ho ryū, 穂竜) and not a hamanishiki; the name for crowned pearlies in Japan. Well I had no clue what a ho ryuu was and after a bit of googling and talking further with the girl(and with help from Shukura) I found out it is a cross between a hamanishiki and a demekin (telescope). I figured not many people have seen this odd mix so everyone meet the Ho ryu! This is a pretty odd breed and I remember a while back there was a topic about pearlscale crosses so I thought it would be neat to show everyone :) If anyone is interested in doing a bit of googling you just have to use the japanese kanji '穂竜' as the search term.

d9b3691913183018f4fc978e4e41cab8.jpg8cdd5b36876feb56fc9d4b24690103d8.jpg

IMGP9411_thumb.jpg

P1040972-33c50.JPG?c=a1

Wow, all of these goldfish names completely went over my head, but the fishies are REALLY cute!!!

Cool! These are kind of like the "dragonball" goldfish I have seen, except these guys have crowns! How cute :)

they're pretty amazing, but I have to say, at this very time, I don't like them :huh:

I am only just getting used to the concept of the pearlscale and have not yet warmed to the crown pearlscale... so throw in goggles and I'm afraid I will need to run to the hills for safety if one was near me :rofl

I am sure with time, I will grow to like it :)

thank you for sharing, I hope they are a strong breed :)

They are so cute!!! I want that second one. :heart

Very cool looking. I'd be way too scared to own one, myself. Seeing them topview, and me thinking that they've dropsied is enough to put me off pearlscales all together. :o :O

I'm such a dork. :P

Thabnks for sharing pics!

awww I think they are adorable :) my dream fish a cross between telescope eye and a pearlie :) I have to admit I'm not to keen on the crowns though ;)

Aah! They're so cute! Their heads look so different from my pearlscales, who are just straight pearlscales and have no crown and a very pointed little nose. These guys have such a round tummy, round head, and round eyes. I could die a little from the cuteness. :heart :heart :heart

Very cool looking. I'd be way too scared to own one, myself. Seeing them topview, and me thinking that they've dropsied is enough to put me off pearlscales all together. :o :o

I'm such a dork. :P

Thabnks for sharing pics!

It's so funny how they seem extreme to you! For pearlscale they are actually very modest and not too round, which is partially why I think this ia s neat cross. You can see that they are too round because their gill plates are falling in line smoothly with the curvature of the body. When they start to get pushed out that's the line I draw for a bit too round!

GoldfishPearlscale.jpg

this is clearly not a ho ryu but a tiku, but note the gill plates are in the complete opposite orientation that they normally are. These fish can suffer from complications related to this.

they're pretty amazing, but I have to say, at this very time, I don't like them :huh:

I am only just getting used to the concept of the pearlscale and have not yet warmed to the crown pearlscale... so throw in goggles and I'm afraid I will need to run to the hills for safety if one was near me :rofl

I am sure with time, I will grow to like it :)

thank you for sharing, I hope they are a strong breed :)

I'm sure you'll warm up to them given time! I was always more of a tiku fan, and now I love crowned pearlies. I just love seeing unusual crosses and these guys are really intriguing.

Aah! They're so cute! Their heads look so different from my pearlscales, who are just straight pearlscales and have no crown and a very pointed little nose. These guys have such a round tummy, round head, and round eyes. I could die a little from the cuteness. :heart :heart :heart

I agree! I think the roundness of everything on the face (wen, eyes, etc) really is a nice addition to the rounded body.

I found some videos! Mostly of the same fish :rofl but they move nicely too

(this video is long but it is a goldfish show in japan which is really neat)

All different sizes!

They are really cute!!! probably wouldn't want one of my own since pearlscales and telescopes scare me since it is so hard to tell when they are dropsied and popeyed... but they are still very cute :P

It's so funny how they seem extreme to you! For pearlscale they are actually very modest and not too round, which is partially why I think this ia s neat cross. You can see that they are too round because their gill plates are falling in line smoothly with the curvature of the body. When they start to get pushed out that's the line I draw for a bit too round!

GoldfishPearlscale.jpg

this is clearly not a ho ryu but a tiku, but note the gill plates are in the complete opposite orientation that they normally are. These fish can suffer from complications related to this.

I agree! I think the roundness of everything on the face (wen, eyes, etc) really is a nice addition to the rounded body.

Wow, and I thought my fish were fat!!! :o I agree that some of the more show quality fish's bodies seem a little too extreme, though still lovely fish, they look just . . uncomforable. I have a baby fish (well, four month old) that definitely has a pearlscale mother, but I believe the father may have been my tank's ryukin, Calico Jack, though it could possibly be the lionhead. She's has the pearlscales of her mother, and she still has a plump body, but she is much more lanky.

Side veiw

Top veiw

You know, I was never really a fan of the crown pearlscales, but after seeing them and their different crosses, they're really kind of growing on me . . .

You mean.. it's possible for pearlies to be even cuter?! I love them. Oh my goodness I do!! :thud

This must be a fairly recent breed as the tailings aren't consistent yet. The rest of the breed seems to have developed very nicely. Judging by the colours, I'm guessing they haven't been back bred yet.

Edited by bodoba

Wow! :thud They are stunning! :heart

Whoa!! These are crazy! I like them? I think I like them? I'll have to think about it though.... :P

those are super cute :) they do look like crown dragon balls

I wish we could get fish like that here!

Too much for me. I'm still a no wan or pearlscale man. Tele eyes is as far as I will go right now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wow, I was thinking that that wasn't a very nice name to call a ryu! I thought this might be about a ryukin that wouldn't stop dropping eggs! :rofl

Well! Hooooo ray! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Well! Hooooo ray! :rofl :rofl :rofl

no its a goldfish not a ray. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It's soo awkward!!

I think I love it!

Thanks for all the information and awesome photo's. I think they are beautiful in an,.. oh my, kind of way. :) I have a crowned pearlscale that is getting bigger by the month and I'm assuming she's not going to get anywhere near that huge. :) Large is good but not huge.