gravel for goldfish tank?

carmen

Hi there, I have access to a large amount of fish tank gravel for "free" (it came with a used tank I bought). I think I read previously about gravel being a risk of a goldfish inhaling/choking on if it's small. How small is too small? It's just your standard aquarium gravel. I can post a picture of it if needed. I'm using small river rocks now but I'm upgrading my fish to a 55 gallon tank and that would be a lot of river rocks to buy. Thanks for your input!

Gravel is more of a risk when it's bigger, because the goldfish gets it in it's mouth and finds it can't spit it back out because it's too big. Goldfish are natural foragers, so if the gravel is fine enough, they can easily spit it back out. Pictures would be helpful.

I personally do NOT like gravel for goldfish. Goldfish can and will put it into their mouth and it can choke them. I feel barebottom or sand are the best options for goldfish. They are easier to clean and look better I think. :)

If your fish can fit it into their mouths, then they can choke. If it is too big now, it may not be later.

The only thing close to gravel I would ever put in a tank would be substrates like Flourite, Flourite Red, or other larger-granule planting substrates. Even then those aren't really hard like gravel. The next size I would go would be river rock. Anything pea-sized to aquarium gravel sized is too dangerous.

Sand and bare bottom are two great options.

Also, used substrate needs to be sanitized before use. It's pretty time consuming if you can't bake it like clay substrate or sand.

Edited by ChelseaM

Tank stays so much cleaner without gravel. I removed my gravel and it was disgusting how much was trapped in there. I have also not been in a lake or pond or ocean where the bottom was rocks or gravel. I think bare bottom or sand is best. Also, one of my big fish has had a rock stuck in its mouth. It wasn't good.

Tank stays so much cleaner without gravel. I removed my gravel and it was disgusting how much was trapped in there. I have also not been in a lake or pond or ocean where the bottom was rocks or gravel. I think bare bottom or sand is best. Also, one of my big fish has had a rock stuck in its mouth. It wasn't good.

This. I recently removed the gravel from my mother's tropical tank (with help from my boyfriend) and it was... an indescribable horror...

:doh11:

This. I recently removed the gravel from my mother's tropical tank (with help from my boyfriend) and it was... an indescribable horror...

:doh11:

This2

I would go with bare-bottom. I can't stand having substrate in my goldfish tanks, it just gets so dirty and nasty.

Sand is nice. Debris stays on top and can be siphoned off. The only problem with sand is if your filter uptake is too close to the sand it can pick some up. Too much sand picked up by the filter will eventually wear out your impeller.

Hmmm OK:( any recomendations on getting affordable sand or river rocks? I kinda prefer the idea of sand simply because of the ease of suctioning it.

A lot of people have had success with Tahitian Moon Sand. They say it's the perfect medium of sand and gravel. I think Petco has it's own line of sand as well.

Check your lfs and Petsmart\co's for river rocks. If you still can't find anything look at your local craft stores like AC Moore or Michael's. Make sure the rocks are plain as can be, no polished or wax finishing. ;)

Hmmm OK:( any recomendations on getting affordable sand or river rocks? I kinda prefer the idea of sand simply because of the ease of suctioning it.

Pool filter sand is a good choice. It's usually fairly cheap too. Blasting grit is another option if you're looking for a black sand.

I use play sand. Super cheap.

Dan, I just looked at some blasting grit. It comes in various sizes and is made of various materials, some of which don't sound too safe. Have you used this for aquarium substrate? If so, what were the specifications for the stuff you used?

Edited by shakaho

I use play sand. Super cheap.

Dan, I just looked at some blasting grit. It comes in various sizes and is made of various materials, some of which don't sound too safe. Have you used this for aquarium substrate? If so, what were the specifications for the stuff you used?

Black diamond blasting sand is the brand typically used in the states (I don't know if it's different in aus)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, tithra. I just did a little search on it. It's not sand, but coal slag. Lots of people say they have used it successfully in aquariums, and I haven't seen anyone who says it causes problems. It don't know why anyone would put it in drinking water, but the company claims it is drinking water safe. It sure is cheap and looks nice too.

Thanks, tithra. I just did a little search on it. It's not sand, but coal slag. Lots of people say they have used it successfully in aquariums, and I haven't seen anyone who says it causes problems. It don't know why anyone would put it in drinking water, but the company claims it is drinking water safe. It sure is cheap and looks nice too.

yeah, I have commonly seen it used in planted tanks ;)

I use those glass decor marbles :) easy to clean, stimulating for the fish, but my tank is still basically bare bottomed.

10412780146_991f31ea45_c.jpg

Edited by kaylaj2355

I still use undergravel filters with power heads this makes your entire tank bottom a biological filter! when combined with a canister you have massive biological and mechanical filtration! also I have NEVER had an ammonia spike!! but hey that's me.......old school. :-)