Pictures! + What plants do I have?

HemligaHajen

I went to my LFS today and got some new plants. Thought I would share some of the pictures I took of the tank when I was done playing with it.

I know how much you all like pictures! (And hopefully, you won't be able to resist identifying my plants) :ehh

I have no idea what kind of plants I have. The store where I get them is great but never put decent labels on their plants. Although, finding plants that are labled at all is fairly unusual over here.

Thought I'd ask you guys! So, what do I have?

Tank

DSC_1725_zps6576e4f4.jpg

Purple/Red thing

DSC_1715_zps967e195f.jpg

DSC_1676_zpsb69fb1e8.jpg

My favourite plant (blessings to the one who can tell me what it is), some anubias in the background and what I think is dwarf tears?

DSC_1654_zps612f9a50.jpg

Something Green, Small kind of red thing and the Purple/red thing

DSC_1652_zpsad2052f1.jpg

I have more pictures of the fish, but I thought I would save them for later. I'm more interested in the plants at this point.

The tall green plants on the right side of the tank are Amazon Swords I believe,the reddish green plant may be ludwiga repens but again I am not sure, I want to say your favorite is some kind of Java but not sure ;) hopefully someone with an aquatic green thumb will stop by soon ;) congrats!!

The tall green plants on the right side of the tank are Amazon Swords I believe,the reddish green plant may be ludwiga repens but again I am not sure, I want to say your favorite is some kind of Java but not sure ;) hopefully someone with an aquatic green thumb will stop by soon ;) congrats!!

I assumed they were some sort of swords, but I couldn't be sure. It does look a bit like a ludwigia. Why didn't I think of that?

I love your purple red thing! Haha, I'm no help xD

So do I. I just hope it will survive (it was one of the plant's I got today)

I generally just go by trial and error when it comes to aquarium plants. I just get what I think is pretty in the store and then what works, works. :rofl

• Supporter

The tall green plants on the right side of the tank are Amazon Swords I believe,the reddish green plant may be ludwiga repens but again I am not sure, I want to say your favorite is some kind of Java but not sure ?;) hopefully someone with an aquatic green thumb will stop by soon ;) congrats!!

I second this.

And I think you are right on the babytears aswell. And the anubais is narna I think? If that's how you spell it..

Hopefully Tithra will come by I'm sure she will know what they all are :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Supporter

Congratulations on the new acquisitions, they are nice looking plants. I'm no expert, but I would investigate hygrophila varieties for the two purplish plants and your favorite looks a like some sort of cryptcorene to me. Tithra or Hidr may have better answers, but if you're up for a bit of research, I think that would be a good place to start. :)

Does your favorite grow from a horizontal stem? If so, please make sure that that stem is not covered in sand. Rhizomes die if they are covered up.

No, the stem+roots look more like the ones on the swords. I also know it produces runners.

Congratulations on the new acquisitions, they are nice looking plants. I'm no expert, but I would investigate hygrophila varieties for the two purplish plants and your favorite looks a like some sort of cryptcorene to me. Tithra or Hidr may have better answers, but if you're up for a bit of research, I think that would be a good place to start. :)

A google search for hygrophila comes up with a picture of a "scarlet hygrophila" that looks just like it! Thank you :D

my best guesses are in caps/bold below ;)

I went to my LFS today and got some new plants. Thought I would share some of the pictures I took of the tank when I was done playing with it.

I know how much you all like pictures! (And hopefully, you won't be able to resist identifying my plants) :ehh

I have no idea what kind of plants I have. The store where I get them is great but never put decent labels on their plants. Although, finding plants that are labled at all is fairly unusual over here.

Thought I'd ask you guys! So, what do I have?

Tank

DSC_1725_zps6576e4f4.jpg

RED PLANTS LEFT AND RIGHT: I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT THAT THESE ARE SCARLET HYGRO (MORE COMMONLY CALLED ALTERNANTHERA REINECKII OR SCARLET TEMPLE). THESE ARE STEM PLANTS SO THEY CAN BE TRIMMED DOWN AND TOPS REPLANTED. WHERE YOU CUT THE STEM TWO NEW STEMS WILL GROW. TRIM RIGHT ABOVE A SET OF LEAVES (THE NODE). I WOULD TRIM THESE DOWN A BIT SO THAT YOU CAN GET SOME MORE LEAVES GOING. THE SPACE BETWEEN THE NODES IS REALLY FAR, MY GUESS IS THAT THEY WEREN'T GETTING GREAT LIGHT WHEREVER THEY WERE BEFORE (THIS OFTEN RESULTS IN LANKY PLANTS WITH SPACED OUT LEAVES), TRIMMING WILL HELP YOU GET THEM A BIT MORE BUSHY.

TINY PLANTS TOWARD THE FRONT ARE INDEED DWARF BABY TEARS ;)

Purple/Red thing

DSC_1715_zps967e195f.jpg

DSC_1676_zpsb69fb1e8.jpg

My favourite plant (blessings to the one who can tell me what it is), some anubias in the background and what I think is dwarf tears?

DSC_1654_zps612f9a50.jpg

I THINK THIS MAY BE CRYPT BALANSAE... BUT I AM NOT 100% CONFIDENT ON THAT. THERE ARE SO MANY CRYPTS AND SO MANY WITH THIS SORT OF RUFFLED LEAF PATTERN. THE RUFFLE PATTERN LOOKS CLOSEST TO BALANSAE TO ME, IT SHOULD BE EASIER TO TELL ONCE IT HAS GROWN OUT A BIT. BALANSAE WOULD GET TALL. HOPEFULLY OTHERS CAN CONFIRM THIS OR GIVE OTHER SUGGESTIONS. I DO THINK IT IS FROM THE CRYPT FAMILY THOUGH.

Something Green, Small kind of red thing and the Purple/red thing

DSC_1652_zpsad2052f1.jpg

I have more pictures of the fish, but I thought I would save them for later. I'm more interested in the plants at this point.

BOTH OF THE GREEN PLANTS ARE SWORDS. I THINK BOTH ARE AMAZON SWORDS.

I THINK THE REDDISH GREEN ONE IN THE BACK MIDDLE IS A LUDWIGIA.... WHICH ONE I AM NOT POSITIVE. IT IS NOT REPENS BECAUSE REPENS HAS LEAVES ON THE SAME NODE, WHAT YOU HAVE HAS ALTERNATING LEAVES. IT COULD POSSIBLY BE LUDWIGIA GLANDULOSA (AKA PERUENSIS) THAT JUST HASN'T COLORED UP YET, BUT I'M NOT CERTAIN.