Sign in to follow this  
incredibleSE

Finally in the Ranchu game!

I'm finally in the Ranchu game! After a long time waiting, my local pet stop finally got a shipment of Ranchus in. Though, all of them were pretty small. After about 15 minutes of evaluating them all, I chose this lil guy.

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/incredibleSE/media/IMG_20131024_194508.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/incredibleSE/media/20131024_192145.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

After a couple days in the quarantine tank, the lil guy is now in the main tank with the 3 Orandas. Excited to see him grow. I still have to think of a name for him so suggestions are welcomed!

Ummm you only QT for a few days? For future additions please QT for 4-6 weeks. Some do shorter some do longer but better be safe than sorry IMO.

I agree. I think he should go back into QT. Then, salt to .3% for 2 weeks by adding salt in .1% increments once every twelve hours. So it would be .1% 12 hours later another .1% which brings you to .2% and another 12 hours and .1% brings you to the .3%. And after that I believe it's .1%. If it's a ten gallon tank, it would be 10 tsp. (1tsp. per gallon of water) Of salt that is completely natural with no additives or anti caking products. People preferably use Canning and Pickling salt :). Then, treat with PraziPro. 5-6 rounds. (I am terrible at giving instructions on that so someone with more knowledge can help you with that). It is very important to do a full QT so you don't contaminate your healthy fish with anything that he could be carrying from your LFS. Also, IMO he looks like a very cute lionhead. ;)

Edited by Mikey

So cute!! I have never quarintined my fish :/ maybe I could start

Ummm you only QT for a few days? For future additions please QT for 4-6 weeks. Some do shorter some do longer but better be safe than sorry IMO.

I never saw the point of QTing for more than a week. The local shops keeps their displays pretty clean and I haven't had issues with adding their fish to my tank after a few days (which to me is 5 days to week) in the QT tub. But, I guess better safe than sorry.

Edited by incredibleSE

From one of my pet stores, I also only QT for a couple days because I know their practices. To each their own :) like it was said, some do shorter, some do longer. I also, personally, don't medicate or salt unless I see signs of anything unusual. It's just what feels right to my fish owner instincts.

He sure is cute!!! He's going to have a belly on him :D :D

I never saw the point of QTing for more than a week. The local shops keeps their displays pretty clean and I haven't had issues with adding their fish to my tank after a few days (which to me is 5 days to week) in the QT tube.
it will most likely have flukes and could still possibly have an outbreak of a disease still. You never know. It's always good to QT no matter where the fish comes from.

Mikey, the fish is in the main tank already. Taking him out would do nothing at this point to solve any issues that might crop up.

Diseases sometimes take weeks to manifest. Your current stock are now exposed to whatever this fish carried with him. Four weeks allows for thorough observation, as well as praziquantel treatments for flukes.

EVERY LFS can, no matter how reputable, wind up with disease carrying fish. Quarantine is extremely important.

Good luck with the new fish.

Wow. Thia went from me being excited about my new fish to doom 'n gloom.

Mikey, the fish is in the main tank already. Taking him out would do nothing at this point to solve any issues that might crop up.

Diseases sometimes take weeks to manifest. Your current stock are now exposed to whatever this fish carried with him. Four weeks allows for thorough observation, as well as praziquantel treatments for flukes.

EVERY LFS can, no matter how reputable, wind up with disease carrying fish. Quarantine is extremely important.

Good luck with the new fish.

Whoops sorry. :(

Something tells me none of your fish have been treated for flukes or were QTed, correct? I would most likely recommend "QTing" the whole tank. I.e PraziPro and salt. Would you agree, Chealsea?

Wow. Thia went from me being excited about my new fish to doom 'n gloom.

It's okay, this is definitely fixable. Everyone makes mistakes. :hug

Fixable? Mistakes? Nothing is even wrong though :(

Like Chelsea said, problems take time to arise and can infect the tank. Everyone does make mistakes. I used to never QT when I began keeping fish. I do however now ;).

Like Chelsea said, problems take time to arise and can infect the tank. Everyone does make mistakes. I used to never QT when I began keeping fish. I do however now ;).

Very true, but I think it's a little early to be talking in terms of fixing things when nothing is wrong :) especially in a celebratory thread.

Very true, but I think it's a little early to be talking in terms of fixing things when nothing is wrong :) especially in a celebratory thread.

I meant "fixing" loosely. Meaning that there should still be treatment done if flukes have never been treated for. ;).

He's cute! Congratulations!

Well, to each their own :) we all trust our gut when it comes to our fish. I'm sure Incredible knows to ask for advice if he needs it. I still think there isn't just one correct way to do things :)

I'm not gonna touch on the QT topic, but I think he is more of a lionhead, or lionchu than a full ranchu. But very cute no matter what

Lionhead, chu, both... whatever he is looks like a nice fish :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats on the new fish. :) Hes a beauty. Good luck!! :)

What a cute little fish. Congratulations.

I've never needed to quarantine unless it has either ich or fungus and I have never brought any diseases into any of my tanks

[quote name="ChelseaM" post="1608141" timestamp="1382845614"

This.

Congrats on the new fish!!! Very cute :D

I've never needed to quarantine unless it has either ich or fungus and I have never brought any diseases into any of my tanks

Just because nothing bad has happened yet does not give validation for not qting. Pathogens can take several weeks to become a visible problem so just looking at the fish and saying they don't have visible ich and fungus is not enough. Some pathogens for example proliferate in warmer temps. The fish may look fine at the pet store because they keep their temps low, but your tank at home may be warmer and cause these pathogens to proliferate .

Also, QT is not only to protect your established fish from your new ones but also to protect your new fish. In an established community of healthy fish with good immune systems, they may be carrying low levels of pathogens that the immune system is effectively able to handle leaving them asymptomatic. The stress of moving from one tank to a new one can result in a lowered immune response for the new fish, so time in QT to get used to his new environment and potentially different water parameters is important. Some people even recommend slowly adding main tank water to the QT tank toward to end of the QT period to help the new fish acclimate.

Sorry to harp on this topic more, but QT is just so important. It is very possible to lose communities of fish because you didn't QT. Might not happen every time but the chances are high that something bad will happen eventually. Even the best fish stores will have issues with disease simply because of the sheer number if fish coming in and out of those tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ, we are not trying to 'fix' the fish, but prevent something from going wrong in the first place. The Prazi and Salt Mikey suggested not only will prevent fluke issues in the future, but can be a good aid in showing that even in fish that appear healthy, issues do lay dormant. Any of us can see that flukes treatments can be hard on fish who have never had them: Bottom sitting, lethargy, flashing, etc. as symptoms of the Fluke infestation finally being beaten down. And we see the fish feel so much better as soon as the flukes disappear. Since this fish has never been quarantined properly, we can assume safely that nobody in Incredible's tank has been treated with Prazi. Fluke treatments are important, just like Quarantine is extremely important. You will understand when you experience an issue from not QT-ing. I honestly don't wish that on anyone. It is heartbreaking.

Incredible, I really hope we aren't dampening your parade. We are all very excited for your new addition, I do hope you know that. We're all just worried about everyone in your tank in case something were to go wrong. :hug Quarantine is so important that when someone with experience sees someone hasn't, then they feel a need to jump on and share the 'word' so that nobody winds up losing their babies to an easily-prevented issue.