what color is my oranda

katearei

What's the difference between blue and lavender? How can you tell lol they all look the same to me

they all look the same to me too :P I'm pretty sure someone just made up 'lavender' as a color just to sell fish lol.

From what I have seen, lavender usually refers to fish with reddish/chocolaty undertones. Sometimes what we would typically think of as chocolates are referred to as 'lavender' but the color undertones seems to have more red in it.

Then there are those that look like what we might normally refer to as 'blue' but again you see those chocolatey/red undertones in it. Like in the tail/wen on this one.

DSC_6586-copy.jpg

'blue' I think of as more silvery/grey without the reddish undertones. Some coppery/bronzey coloring is typical on blues like yours has. Some blues are even a darker grey than what yours looks like. Here is a 'blue' from the same seller. You can see the contrast to the chu above, it does not have those reddish/chocolatey warm undertones, even though it still has some bronze in it.

DSC_6376-copy.jpg

• Supporter

I second the blue. One of my goles is to find a comet/fantail/ryukin in the full silvery blue color. I have even thought about a breeding program to try and develop a platinum goldfish. But that's just a dream right now. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That makes sense! I wasn't sure whether the baby would be blue or lavender. But I think I like blue a lot better (; he was at Walmart and every week I go and look at the fish just cos and I saw him last week and told myself if he was still there I'd get him this week

I second the blue. One of my goles is to find a comet/fantail/ryukin in the full silvery blue color. I have even thought about a breeding program to try and develop a platinum goldfish. But that's just a dream right now. Lol

I can't imagine how long it would take to get the perfect platinum colored fish lol

My Ryukin is that silvery blue some times. :peeka:donthit:

That makes sense! I wasn't sure whether the baby would be blue or lavender. But I think I like blue a lot better (; he was at Walmart and every week I go and look at the fish just cos and I saw him last week and told myself if he was still there I'd get him this week

I like rescuing Walmart fish (when I did) I got Merlin my blue butterfly telescope and Baby Blue my blue Ryukin.

Your Oranda is beautiful! And quite healthy looking from what I can see in the pictures :)

• Supporter

I can't imagine how long it would take to get the perfect platinum colored fish lol?
60-80 years probably lol

I like rescuing Walmart fish (when I did) I got Merlin my blue butterfly telescope and Baby Blue my blue Ryukin.

Your Oranda is beautiful! And quite healthy looking from what I can see in the pictures :)

He looks pretty healthy for the most part to me as well he has some torn fins but nothing that clean water and such cant fix

I can't imagine how long it would take to get the perfect platinum colored fish lol
60-80 years probably lol

Maybe you'll get lucky ;)

I've heard them be called blue, even though they have the metallic finish. Great looking fish!

I think he's a cutie. He's the only one that consistantly stayed at the front of the tank for the fifteen or so minutes I stood watching them. I knew then that if I was taking one home it was that one

The black colour is diluted in two forms, blue and chocolate. Blue and chocolate can be further diluted through tricolour patterns (which include orange and white and their derivatives) that is how you can get lavender and some other oddball colourings. :)

He looks pretty healthy for the most part to me as well he has some torn fins but nothing that clean water and such cant fix
Yup :thumb: I hope you have a boring QT. :) Edited by Mikey

I love blue fish. I passed on the blue orandas when picking out my current fish because I was kind of scared of the "wen thing" :doh11::P

Wanted to start with regular fantails. When I get my next tank I will probably see if I can find one. Your fish is really pretty!

That's how I started as well. I got three fantails about a year ago and they're massive beasts now and I have four big fry from them that are probably pushing 3 months old and two fry that are about two weeks old

I love blue fish. I passed on the blue orandas when picking out my current fish because I was kind of scared of the "wen thing" :doh11::P

Wanted to start with regular fantails. When I get my next tank I will probably see if I can find one. Your fish is really pretty!