Sign in to follow this  
gran'sgoldies1

Oh oh I think he's a lionhead!

I have a ranchu names Quartz. I got him when he was a tiny little bean. He had 2 very distinct bumps on his back. Now, a year later, the bumps are just about gone. All I have done is keep pristine water and feed a healthy, varied diet:) I'll see if I can find a photo of when I first got him to show you a before and after:)

I have a ranchu names Quartz. I got him when he was a tiny little bean. He had 2 very distinct bumps on his back. Now, a year later, the bumps are just about gone. All I have done is keep pristine water and feed a healthy, varied diet:) I'll see if I can find a photo of when I first got him to show you a before and after:)

Thanks for the info GG and I would love to see your before and after pics.

He is so very cute :) I think that he will mature into a stunner!

He is adorable!! I was never into wenned fish before I started coming here, Now I really want some (If my mum wasn't complaining about me turning the loungeroom into an aquarium I would have kept my old axolotl tank for more goldies xD)

He is so very cute :) I think that he will mature into a stunner!

Thanks!

He is adorable!! I was never into wenned fish before I started coming here, Now I really want some (If my mum wasn't complaining about me turning the loungeroom into an aquarium I would have kept my old axolotl tank for more goldies xD)

I had 4 tanks going at one time but now I live in a trailer so one 55gal. and a qt. tank is my limit. :thumbdown

Thanks for the info GG and I would love to see your before and after pics.

I could not find the baby pics at all:( I thought I would share some recent pics just too show you his back. I got Quartz and Steve at the same time. I chose Steve (more orange) and my son chose Quartz. Quartz had a back like Alice the camel. Avery large bump at the "neck" and then multiple medium bumps all the way down his back. He is now 8 months old and what a difference. I even tried to get my son to pick another one. I included some shots of Quartz's back as well as a shot of the two of them together. I find it interesting that they could come from the same batch and grow so differently. I feel bad for not wanting him originally lol, but I absolutely adore him. These two guys are my most social. They are right at the top corner as soon as anyone approaches. They are also inseparable. They stay right by each other's side all the time and sleep in shifts. So cute. Anyhow, here's the pics. Sorry about the horrible quality. These guys never stop for a second, but you can see his back.

IMG_1500_zpsef62b284.jpg

IMG_1485_zps547df12a.jpg

IMG_1482_zpsdcc986b6.jpg

IMG_1492_zpse98d2f53.jpg

Thanks GG, Quart's back looks good. Kirby just has a few small bumpy areas so I'm glad to know they may disappear! BTW your two guys are real sweethearts! They make an awesome couple - glad to know they are best buds. :hug Makes me smile!

I think he's a very cute little lionhead :)

I think he's a very cute little lionhead :)

Thanks!

I'd vote to let him grow up a little. When my Pumpkin was small, he looked totally different than he does now. Whatever he turns out to be, just know that he's a gorgeous fish!!! :):heart

Thanks! I know I read a post just lately where they said that with proper grooming when they're young they can have minor bumps on their backs smooth out. Can't remember who said it but I'd like to know what they meant. His back isn't too bad but I would work on it if I knew what to do.

But you're right, he IS gorgeous just the way he is!!!

When you feed them well, and keep their environment clean, it helps them grow up the best that they can be! :) For example, when I got my baby, he looked like this:

563970_10151754280238711_1370777533_n.jp

After almost a year and a half of love and care, he's gone from nerd to hunk. ;)

1382125_10151902713108711_2111462993_n.j

Their bodies, much like ours, change a lot as they grow. That's what I think, at least. :P

Wow! He's gorgeous. And massive! So do you suggest anything besides the repashy super green, bloodworms and Hikari Lionhead I'm feeding at the moment? I will add peas, beans and spinach as soon as I get to the grocery store.

Good lord, that little guy has hulked out :P

I love it.