When it rains, it pours-what the heck is going on?

goldiegeek

Hi Guys,

About a week ago I started noticing my calico telescope (Google) was looking different. Like when your scruffy husband shaves. I came to the conclusion that she was changing colour, a lot more white. Last night when I changed their water I noticed what looked like scales coming up the syphon. I freaked and started checking out the fish. Nothing seems to be going on. Then I look closely at Google, and she has like 4 scales on her. They are literally all gone. She has no redness, gills are nice and pink, she's eating and swimming normally. I am freaking out slash totally stumped. I have her in cycled quarantine right now.

• Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? 68
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 gallon long running 8 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Marineland 400 X 2
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? twice a week, 60%
  • How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? last night, 60%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish, about 3.5"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 3 times per day, Hikari Lionhead, veggies, bloodworms once a week
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Nothing
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nada
  • * Any unusual behaviour like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

google1_zpsc34522df.jpg

Google came into my care in December of last year. He was badly constipated and we got that cleared up. He seems to be one of those fish that genetically has some buoyancy issues.

New development. He has some streaking blood vessels under his chin. Not there this morning...I don't like the look of that.

IMG_1332_zps50989713.jpg

Now for some reason, Photobucket won't let me upload anymore. I'll get a pic of the tank setup on asap.

The other 2 are exhibiting zero symptoms. Google looks a little gaspy but is not sucking air from the surface. I have a fairly large bubbler in there, one powerhead (very weak) on the bottom to circulate water up and a stronger one at the surface for gas exchange. Between the Marineland 400s, the bubbler and the powerheads, I've got beautiful surface action. Please keep in mind that I have supersaturated gases (confirmed) in my water. I am afraid it has something to do with it. I have to degas my water with a bakki shower/degassing tower that I built with the specs from Environment Canada. I get about 60-75% of the gases out.

Edited by bodoba
Fixed pics

Okay, Photobucket is not loading, nor are the links working (there were links in my last post). My daughter is on it and I will get the pics up ASAP! I thought the first two photos worked....UGH!

On my computer, the thumbnails read you deleted the images. I saw this thread earlier today, and saw the pictures before.

If you're having too much trouble with Photobucket, why don't you upload a video to Youtube, so the mods can see his behavior as well?

Did you write that you see red streaks??

You have antibiotics on hand in case they're needed, right? IT DEPENDS ON WHAT THE MODS WRITE, but this worries me for bacteria in bloodstream, such as Gram-negative bacteria, & if that were true, it would be necessary to act fast.

Best wishes! It seems keeping Goldfish (and reading the D&D forum) can be tough if one is soft-hearted and gets emotionally involved easily, you know?

Edited by Steve1107

I fixed your pictures :)

Do you have a bubbler in your tank? I know you do extra precautions but the wonky ness is the same as my fish if I feed my fish too much they display the same symptoms.

There is some redness at the fin joints and seeing as these fish have never been treated for parasites, it might be best to do that with some prazi or prazipro.

GG,

Could you please upload to bigger pics for us? Red veins can mean anything from normal, to stress, to actual septicemia.

I think too many people jump too quickly on septicemia when it's really not. There would be a number of other symptoms.

Hang in there, and if you could, please describe all that are unusual with the fish. Thanks.

I fixed your pictures :)

Do you have a bubbler in your tank? I know you do extra precautions but the wonky ness is the same as my fish if I feed my fish too much they display the same symptoms.

There is some redness at the fin joints and seeing as these fish have never been treated for parasites, it might be best to do that with some prazi or prazipro.

Thank you for the fix! I have no idea what was going on. I have a bubbler in there. She (we just found out and she's been a he for a while...lol) does get a little floaty after eating for sure. I soak the heck out of their sinking pellets and I make sure Google gets at the veggies for sure. She's usually floaty for about an hour and then returns to normal. The floatiness isn't bad at all. I call it "the scoopy swim".

GG,

Could you please upload to bigger pics for us? Red veins can mean anything from normal, to stress, to actual septicemia.

I think too many people jump too quickly on septicemia when it's really not. There would be a number of other symptoms.

Hang in there, and if you could, please describe all that are unusual with the fish. Thanks.

HI Alex. I'll get on the pics (hopefully I'm not a dunce today, bear with me). I first noticed a week ago that she was looking different. I took a long close look and figured it was colour change. A lot more white. Yesterday I was doing a water change and noticed intermittent clamped fins. She'd clamp them for 10 seconds and then back to normal. Then during syphoning I saw scales (some were 5 stuck together in a sheet) going up the syphon. I freaked and started checking everyone. Low and behold, Google has what looks like 4 scales left. I was hoping someone would say "there's scales, you're nuts". She was a little gaspy but not sucking air at all. Today she is not gasping at all (for now). Right now she is eating like a champ. Digging through the rocks. I'll get the pics up asap.

I have to go out for a bit. When I get back, I'll see if I can get some pics of different angles. I'm wondering if I shouldn't add some aquarium salt just to help her gill function a little. I've never seen anything like this. I've dealt with Ich, swim bladder, velvet, supersaturated gases, injuries etc. Never have I seen such scale loss:( I did add some stress coat.

Given the clamped fins, the dilated veins etc., I think it would be good for us to do a 0.1% salt + prazi treatment for flukes and some other parasites.

Thanks so much! Considering this started about a week ago, should I be treating the home tank with the other two fish, or just Google in qt? My husband got a shark a week ago, it had Ich. When I was at the lfs last night, I bee-lined right for the tank he was in. Sure enough, Ich everywhere. There were also some white patchy parts. I googled flukes and that was exactly what it looked like. I think we had some cross-contamination before we knew the shark was sick. It's totally my fault. I feel like such an idiot. I didn't even think of it until we knew the shark was sick. I never use the same equipment when we get a new fish. The one time I forgot...this happens. The shark died yesterday. We just took a look at him and it looks like he had flukes as well. I am so angry at myself. Now I am petrified my other tanks are infected :( So far, October is sucking, big time! I am going to post a pic of the shark for confirmation once the kids are in bed. What are the fist signs/symptoms of flukes? I don't see Ich on any of the other fish, but should I be treating for that as well? Will the Prazi cover it?

One more thought. I just want to make sure I handle this in the best way possible. What is the best way to sterilize my equipment (syphon, tubing, etc.)? I figure boiling it would do the trick, but I don't want to screw anything else up. My confidence has taken a bit of a beating the last couple of weeks...lol.

Best wishes for you and little Google! Surely one of the Mods will

be along soon. Whatever the diagnosis, it's a tremendous advantage that you seem to be catching it early. Keep after it and avoid any temptation to give up.

Remember...expect the best, no matter what!

Best wishes for you and little Google! Surely one of the Mods will

be along soon. Whatever the diagnosis, it's a tremendous advantage that you seem to be catching it early. Keep after it and avoid any temptation to give up.

Remember...expect the best, no matter what!

Thanks Steve. I REALLY needed that:) I'm so peeved that one stupid shark could cause this much damage *angry face*. I'm checking on 15 fish in a constant circle while figuring out if anything is up with my axolotl as well. I NEED to fix this fast. I have a Thai black ranchu coming in next Friday and I am petrified to let anything touch the tank. I wish there was a Prazi truck that I could call to come and spray my whole house down:)

Hello,

I would go ahead and treat everyone (where they are) with prazi for flukes, and a light dose of salt (0.2%) to deal with possible ich contamination, as well as other parasites. Once you have the prazi, anyone on the team or the senior members here can guide you with a schedule.

I also like to have some broad spectrum antibiotic on hand, just in case there are secondary bacterial infections during treatment. I don't know what you might have available in CAN, so if you could do a search and let us know, that'll be great. You may have done the search because of the other thread, but I have to confess that I don't remember and beg forgiveness. :)

Hello,

I would go ahead and treat everyone (where they are) with prazi for flukes, and a light dose of salt (0.2%) to deal with possible ich contamination, as well as other parasites. Once you have the prazi, anyone on the team or the senior members here can guide you with a schedule.

I also like to have some broad spectrum antibiotic on hand, just in case there are secondary bacterial infections during treatment. I don't know what you might have available in CAN, so if you could do a search and let us know, that'll be great. You may have done the search because of the other thread, but I have to confess that I don't remember and beg forgiveness. :)

I haveErythromicin and kanaplex.I am on my way to the lfs this morning. Will those meds cover it?