75 Gallon planted update and fishy pics :)

tithra

I got my new light in place this past weekend finally and couldn't be happier with it! Some of my plants were starting to look a little sad under my previous light, but it's amazing how quickly they have perked up under this new light. Everything is pearling in this tank now (I have never had pearling in my goldfish tank!) and the red plants have colored up again.

The new light is a sunlight supply tek light 48inches 6 bulb (but I am only running 4 of the 6)

10468517043_6b6301a877_c.jpg
10468514263_71e33f6a39_c.jpg
10468332796_9980220b15_c.jpg
10468333906_594afc2c4e_c.jpg
10468522693_22b6abfba9_c.jpg
10468340224_72a74d176d_c.jpg
10468334075_0096879f0d_c.jpg
10468344764_5055a5ede8_c.jpg
10468347344_8d986edf32_c.jpg
10468341105_fc33dff8e9_c.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Jess. It looks great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Wow... Those colors look amazing!

Absolutely beautiful!

thank you!

Looks awesome Jess!

Edie looks so grumpy in that last pic. :heart

haha Edie is perpetually grumpy :rofl

The new light makes everything look even more amazing! I like how it actually looks like there is sunlight shining into the tank

thank you! It is really bright in person, but I really like it :)

Wow, Jess. It looks great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

thanks mj!

Very nice tank.

Tastefully done.

I must say, I always liked your fish. Not a big fan of over grown wens (personal preferencI guess), but your fish have a nice balance.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

:thud beautiful Jess!!!! Hashi and Edie are just so adorable!!!

thanks mikey! :) I love all the yellow they both have gotten recently

Very nice tank.

Tastefully done.

I must say, I always liked your fish. Not a big fan of over grown wens (personal preferencI guess), but your fish have a nice balance.

thank you! They both have reasonably sized wens I think :P I like a nice tight wen over a loose floppy one

Wow! That is so perfect and bright!! I can hardly wait to see how the plants grow now. :clapping:

The stars of show look good and they know it. :teehee

thank you! I can't wait to see how the plants do too!

Your tank is so gorgeous. I want to try something similar with my butterfly tank when I move. And your two make the tank look like a 40b!

thanks Lori :) It is definitely comical how small they make that tank appear :P It's still so much more room than their 40 though

You have got some of the most beautiful orandas! :heart And your tank looks lovely! :)

thank you!

It looks fantastic!! A few questions: They don't squish the ADA when they forage? And have you had trouble keeping the ph up? those have always been my big concerns with using an aquasoil-type substrate but it looks so wonderful! And also is that a stand your light is on? (sorry for all the questions, I just love the setup!)

Amazing tank, fish and plants! Those pictures should be published in a book!!!
Thank you! It took a lot of pics to get those few decent ones ;)
It looks fantastic!! A few questions: They don't squish the ADA when they forage? And have you had trouble keeping the ph up? those have always been my big concerns with using an aquasoil-type substrate but it looks so wonderful! And also is that a stand your light is on? (sorry for all the questions, I just love the setup!)
Thanks mk!The AS isn't really that soft. It's softer than gravel certainly, but it takes some force to squish a piece. They just pick it up and spit it out like any other substrate. I'm sure it will break down faster in the long run than if it were in a tank without bottom feeders, but I'm not too worried about it ;)My ph is being consistently monitored by my co2 system which is run by a ph controller. I have to use a pretty large amount of crushed coral along with a buffer to keep ph up, and the ph controller keeps ph really stable though which is nice. This has worked fine for me so far but it's not an ideal goldfish substrate and the ph is a big concern. I would only recommend trying it if you have a way to constantly and accurately monitor ph. If left alone my ph would drop to around 6.0-6.2 from tap 7.6 between the aquasoil and co2I'm planning on trying the up aqua soil once gla gets it in stock in one of my other tanks. It's supposedly sturdier than the Ada stuff and and releases less ammonia, I'm also wondering if it might have less effect on ph than the ada stuff as well. We'll see. It would be nice to find a goldfish friendly nutrient rich substrate!The light is on an aquatic life light hanger. It attaches to the back of the stand. I put up a video of it in someone's thread a couple weeks ago I think. It's a great system ;)Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the well written answer! if you do get the up aqua soil at some point let me know, as I'm probably going to try a similar set up at some point down the road, especially knowing it's possible. I want to try co2 with just the flourite first and see how that works as well, because I get decent growth from my plants with just excel and flourish but I'm plant hungry and I want more growth! :rofl

Oh Jess! Your tanks give me such pleasure :heart You are truly an inspiration to me! I love the plants and light set up, but your goldfish are totally precious :wub:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Oh my! Just gorgeous! I just googled those lights, thought and :yikes I guess I won't be getting any anytime soon LOL! But they really do make everything look amazing!

What happened to your black b-ground??

I love your new set up :) and your fish are so pretty ;)

I think you need a updated siggy pic though, as your Hashi looks nothing like your siggy pic anymore,I think he's Gorgeous!!!

Haha every time I post hashi pics you guys remind me I need to change my sig :P it's on my to do list but it's pretty low on the list since making those sigs are kind of a pain

What a beautiful piece of paradise! :heart

I love that lighting. You'll have to tell me how it works out later, in case I want to invest in one too. ;)

Thank you! This light used to be really popular reef light but the company that makes them stopped manufacturing aquarium related lighting and now only does grow lights, so they're unfortunately impossible to find unless used. I got lucky and found this one on craigslist.

Oh my. That is very impressive.

Thank you!!

Oh Jess! Your tanks give me such pleasure :heart You are truly an inspiration to me! I love the plants and light set up, but your goldfish are totally precious :wub:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you :heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's amazing, Jess. I can't believe how big those two fish are. Can't wait to see that tank in a few months. :)
Thank you! I'm excited to see it in a few months too!
Oh my goodness :heart
:D
Oh my! Just gorgeous! I just googled those lights, thought and :yikes I guess I won't be getting any anytime soon LOL! But they really do make everything look amazing! What happened to your black b-ground??
I got the lights on craigslist for a great price ;) unfortunately you can't buy these lights new anymore because they stopped manufacturing them. I didn't end up putting a background on this tank, I'm still deciding if I want to or not ;)Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk